Skipping in Books

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
Do you guys think its ok to skip small parts in books? Like for example, I don't want to spend 1/2 an hour reading "The Overhand Shuffle" section in the Royal Road, so I've kind of been avoiding it whenever I pick up the Royal Road (I'm still reading through it, along with a couple other books). So, would it be ok to skip over things I already know or things I would never do? Atleast, for the first time I read through it.

Reactions: Josh Burch
Apr 9, 2016
Sure, especially a reference book, and particularly if you already have overhand shuffles that you use and are effective for you. The book will be there for you if you do ever want to reference it's offering. For real beginners who have no repertoire of sleights and moves, it may be better to read and learn straight through.

I have to say though, in books that are compilations of works, I've gleaned a TON of tips and bonuses I'd have never learned had I not just cracked the book and read it front to back. The Collective Works of Alex Elmsley is a wealth of awesome, as are the Ed Marlo Revolutionary Card Technique and Cardially Yours books, both produced by Magic Inc. I find myself bookmarking and picking up where I left off in those books so as not to miss any gems, but I also hunt and pick from all my books I guess at one point or another, just depends on why I've picked up the book

TL/DR: nothing wrong at all with that, one can always come back to it later. :)

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Do what makes you happy. Some of the older books are a tough read. Some newer books are just a joy to read - Giobbi's Confidences, Drawing Room Deceptions, Tom Stone's Vortex, anything by John Bannon.

As @FunkyBottoms said, it depends why you bought the book. I have a lot of books that I've bought to research the history of effects, I look at the relevant parts first and then put them aside to read the rest of them when (if?) I get some free time.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I generally at least skim every part of a book I read, because there may be something helpful or valuable in there. I still remember when I first opened Expert Card Technique it changed how I did my push offs instantly, even though I already thought I had pretty good technique.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results