Skullduggery by Luke Jermay :: REVIEWED

Sep 8, 2007
Hello All!

I've had Skulduggery for a while now and I am still loving the material non-stop. Luke Jermay is one of my many idols and I still believe he is one of magic's most helpful creators.

The material contained in Skulduggery revolves around suggestion and influence. This has been cleared up in many reviews on this product, but I will state it again because of it's extreme importance: beginners should stay away from this material UNLESS all you have been studying is mentalism, suggestion, and other topics on the topic. This DVD is a pretty much a video interpretation of Luke's 7 Deceptions which can be found at the link below:

http://www.mjmmagic.com/store/7-dece...ay-p-4691.html

7 Deceptions is geared toward the intermediate and advanced mentalists out there. Therefore, because Skulduggery is a video interpretation of 7 Deceptions, the material on the DVD will start out tough to the beginner.

For the intermediate and advanced mentalists out there, you should seriously consider picking up Skulduggery, and some other Luke Jermay products because they will certainly help your performance and increase thoughts on mentalism tremendously. Luke's routines are great and are highly recommended.

THE REVIEW ::

THE QUALITY (DVD): While you are watching Skulduggery, you will notice that the video quality is a bit hazy and fuzzy. This should not deter you away from the material within, but it is probably the most disappointing part of the DVD. You really get your money's worth from the incredible routines, thoughts, and teaching styles of Luke Jermay.

THE TEACHING: Luke has a very heavy British accent that you should be aware of. This really didn't bother me much at all, but, if that kind of thing annoys you after a while, it's something you should know.

Other than that, everything is clear, well-explained, and is discussed in in-depth discussion. He gives great advice on the routines and explains great additions to the effects which also make the effects stronger.

Luke teaches the effects while seated at the same performance table with about 5 of his friends in a very formal manner.

THE TRICKS/ROUTINES: The tricks/routines contained on the DVD are very strong and create crazy reactions. Most of them can be adapted to other performing areas with simple adjustments.

Next, I'll be going into the effects and reviewing them. I won't be reviewing the method because there really isn't much to say about them. They are practical and can work in real-world situations.

RGM (Reverse Gestalt Moment)

The Effect: A spectator is caused to forget a card shown to them in full view.

Percent of Suggestion Used: About 50%.

The Angles: As with most of Luke's effects, angles are not an issue. You have a full 360 degree performance area.

Extra: This is a great routine that is truly meant for stage/parlour workers but can be adapted to other areas. But, you will get the best reactions while performing this in stage/parlour atmospheres. Great routine, but will require a fair bit of confidence to perform.

For Andruzzi

The Effect: The magician stops his own pulse and gets it confirmed by a spectator. A second spectator is brought into the game and has their pulse stopped! This is confirmed by another audience member.

Percent of Suggestion Used: Almost all of the trick revolves around suggestion.

The Angles: There are no angle issues whatsoever while performing this effect.

Extra: As with most of the effects in Skulduggery, this routine is not sure-fire. This is a trick where practice, suggestion, and performance come into play big time. It is a great routine once it is mastered. Requires no gimmicks but Luke does suggest purchasing something that may convince the spectator's more.

Synchronized

The Effect: Two spectators are brought forth and one is told to think of a time. The second spectator is told to move the performer's watch to any random time they want while the watch is upside down and hidden from view. The two times are compared and they match perfectly.

Percent of Suggestion Used: About 20%.

The Angles: During the very beginning of the effect, there are some restrictions as to where the people should be, but it's really not a big deal.

Extra: This is my least liked effect contained in Skulduggery. One, it uses (0%#*)*&@^* (somewhat like a stooge). And two, it requires a certain watch. I can't tell you what kind of watches can be used, because that would tip the method way too much. But, if you don't mind these two factors and perform the effect well, it can hit pretty hard.

The Burst Bubble Suggestion

The Effect: More like a revelation. Cause a spectator to feel a thought travel from their mind to the mentalists. Literally feel it leave!

Percent of Suggestion Used: Almost all of the revelation is based around suggestion.

The Angles: No angle issues at all.

Extra: There really isn't too much to say, what you read in the description of the effect is really what you get. Not my favorite revelation, but it is a good one. I particularly prefer Luke's Blowing Bubbles revelation which can be found in his Coral Fang book.

http://www.mjmmagic.com/store/the-co...may-p-954.html

And If I Fall

The Effect: A coin disappears from the magicians hand and reappears in the clenched fist of the spectator.

Percent of Suggestion Used: No form of suggestion is used during this routine.

The Angles: Depending on what sort of coin vanish you use, the angles may vary.

Extra: This is my favorite routine of the DVD. Luke's handling is just pure brilliant. Although this is more of a 'magic' trick than a 'mentalist' trick, you could ply it up to be a mentalist trick. I cannot praise this routine enough.

A Darker Dai

The Effect: This can be done with both playing cards or random objects. Five objects are displayed on a table and the spectator is asked to move their hand on top of each of them until they pick one to choose. This is done with the magician's back turned to the spectator. The magician does the same and is able figure out which object was chosen.

Percentage of Suggestion Used: The whole routine is based around suggestion.

The Angles: No angle issues present while performing.

Extra: Unless you are as good as Luke, the chances of you pulling this off successfully is not the highest. However, if you do perform it correctly and pull it off successfully, this may just make your reputation as a mind-reader.

The 7th Deception

The Effect: A spectator's phobia leaves them in a truly bizarre manner.

Percentage of Suggestion Used: About 30%.

The Angles: There are no angle issues.

Extra: This effect is great for stage work. A real connection between you and the spectator is felt during the performance. You may change the handling to fit your needs because it is so flexible.

A Twisted Palm

The Effect: During a palm reading, the lines on the spectator's palm apparently move and twist on their own. A stunning combination of linguistics, psychology and neurology.

Percent of Suggestion Used: About 90%.

The Angles: Once again, the angles are great and there is nothing to worry about.

Extras: This is not my favorite effect, but I'm sure the experienced performer will enjoy playing with this.

That's Skulduggery by Luke Jermay. One of the best purchases you can make if you are a mentalist. There is something for everyone in here.

I know this is a long review, but I hope you enjoyed it and found it helpful.

Bring on the questions and comments!

Brucelee

Great review! This gave me a lot of quality info. on suggestion. For Andruzzi is so easy, safe, and practical. I don't use it as often as I should becuase it's a little out of the ordinary of what I do, but I love it.

A Darker Dai is also a great effect. It takes some serious balls to perform this a lot, but I've never been wrong in my 3 performances.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results