Sleeping Queen

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi this is my review for Sleeping Queen by Dan Hauss.

Thoughts: Now this trick looks ok, but I was let down upon finding out the method. Its silly, the revelation look hell sus infact the whole routine looks sus to any magician. I would rather just a gaff card and a color change. The spectator wont no the difference.

Method: The method is silly, just like Flow. It just uses an old childhood pastime its a pain to set up you need lots of consentration and it takes a while.

Set up: For the set up you need a duplicate and the magic thingo that makes it work. After you spend your time making the gimmicked card. You put them in the deck. XD

Performance: Now the performance, its ok but the restrictions that the card has reduces the impact, like you cant let them examine the card with no eyes, to make the eyes open you have to do lots shaking and a secret move. That could all of been easily done by means of a color change it would be more open and just allot better.

Gimmick: Once again same as Flow the gimmick can be found at a store near you :). And also again you have prob played around with the stuff before as a kid. I think Dan just goes around in different stores and just makes tricks for each item

Final thoughts: Save your self the money. Learn how to make some gaff cards and a color change and just do that. In my opinoin dont buy it.

JDEN

Aug 22, 2008
An excellent and informative review jaydinho, well done! :cool:

I always suspected that this trick would be just a lame DIY gaff card trick. The fact that this trick sounded dodgy was compounded by Ellusionist offering a $5 discount during the first 24 hours of release, entrance to a prize draw to win a 1st Edition Black Ghost deck and the chance to win further prizes if someone wrote a review for Sleeping Queen that they could use on the product page.

All these blatant marketing ploys smack of desperation. E obviously know the trick is lame and they are trying to flog it any way they can.

In my opinion jaydinho, you should also post this review on the E forums to put the wind up them and to counter the obviously bias reviews that are currently being posted there by people desperate to win the prizes on offer for posting glowing reviews.

Let the truth be known and Stick it to 'em!!! :p

The Gramercy Riff

Last edited by a moderator:
D

Deleted member 2755

Thanks for the review. I wasn't planning on buying this. I could tell I wouldn't like it just from the trailer. DG's new DVD coming out though.... THAT is something I can buy without hesitation. ;)

-Doug

Sep 1, 2007
the revelation look hell sus

Talk... normal.

infact the whole routine looks sus to any magician.

Why should I care what other magicians think?

In my opinion jaydinho, you should also post this review on the E forums to put the wind up them and to counter the obviously bias reviews that are currently being posted there by people desperate to win the prizes on offer for posting glowing reviews.

Because, you know... it's just outright impossible that anyone could disagree with you.

Jun 7, 2008
DC area
www.youtube.com
i think you have some points but i thought it was good. It works with all ages, even teens. Its simple and its visualy. a color change would be to fast and they might miss it. Plus they couldn't do that because of Jay Sankys tricks where it is just a gaff card and a color change. but don't buy the gimmick thing of sleeping queens it is a rip off. The gum tricks are good though. I only really do gum though wrapper but with are still good tricks.

Aug 22, 2008
Originally posted by Steerpike
Because, you know... it's just outright impossible that anyone could disagree with you.

Thats a bit rich, coming from the most over opinionated person on these forums!!!

You throw a major tantrun everytime someone disagrees with you...well tough! Get over it and get over yourself sonny, you are not an oracle of knowledge.

You are just some jumped up fool that has been given status by E on their forums and you now think you can throw your weight around everywhere.

Talk... normal.

This is a prime example of your malignant behaviour here.

You are not a moderator on these forums, but you behave like you own this place.

Why should I care what other magicians think?

So what you are just here to enforce your opinion on others right?

Nice one, I rest my case! :p

The Gramercy Riff

Sep 1, 2007
You are just some jumped up fool that has been given status by E on their forums and you now think you can throw your weight around everywhere.

No, I've always been a brash narcissist.

This is a prime example of your malignant behaviour here.

You are not a moderator on these forums, but you behave like you own this place.

I'm just a grammar nazi. My mother used to be a magazine editor, and it rubbed off on me. As such I really hate it when people think that the nature of the internet means they can type like chimps with Parkinson's. I've met foreigners for whom English is a fourth language, and they speak it better than most of the Americans here.

And to be honest, I have a certain amount of contempt for magicians in general. It's easier for me to assume that I'll hate any given magician I meet online until they prove themselves competent.

So what you are just here to enforce your opinion on others right?

Nice one, I rest my case! :p

Rather flimsy case.

My point was that everything looks obvious to magicians, so their testimony means little to me.

When it comes to stuff that fools magicians, Derrek Dingle made a fortune off of stuff he created just to stump us but never performed professionally. The story of his magician fooling pass remains one of my absolute favorite stories. Are you familiar with that one?

Sep 1, 2007
Can't you try to protect Ellusionist a bit more?

I don't even own the damn effect. I'm just wondering why everyone is quick to assume it sucks because of who is distributing it and why the ability of a magician to spot a sleight in a video makes all the difference?

Using some of the logic demonstrated in this review, the ACR is hackneyed and ineffectual because most of the traditional sleights such as the tilt, the elevator, and the pop-up would never fool any semi-competent card magician.

Magicians routinely demonstrate a complete and utter lack of ability to step out of their own minds.

D

Deleted member 2755

I don't even own the damn effect. I'm just wondering why everyone is quick to assume it sucks because of who is distributing it and why the ability of a magician to spot a sleight in a video makes all the difference?

Using some of the logic demonstrated in this review, the ACR is hackneyed and ineffectual because most of the traditional sleights such as the tilt, the elevator, and the pop-up would never fool any semi-competent card magician.

Magicians routinely demonstrate a complete and utter lack of ability to step out of their own minds.

I do agree with your Steerpike. There are many ignorant people here that won't buy from Ellusionist JUST BECAUSE it's Ellusionist. Whatever. The people with at least a pea for a brain will buy what they wish from E. It seems to me that whatever gets released not by Wayne or DG is trash according to a lot of people. Whatever. We can enjoy our material such as Flow and others can miss out and say "LOLZ! E IS TEH_STUPID LOLZZZZZZZ!!!! YOU SUX0RZ!!!!!!@@@@ T11 IS TEH_NUMBER1!!!!1111!!!ONE!!!!!!!111"

It also annoys me when I see grammar errors on here as well. It's something I've gown to live with on here... I sometimes have a grammatical error in my posts, but at least I proofread my posts to try and make sure everything is correct.

Let's just try to stay on topic of the effect guys.

-Doug

Aug 22, 2008

No wonder you're a moderator over at E, you champion their cause at every given turn.

I have never seen you attack someone for criticising a different distributor.

With that epiphany in mind, I suggest you get yourself in order first before presuming everybody else around here!

The Gramercy Riff

Sep 1, 2007
Is that any worse than all the E fanboys who are quick to praise it just because it's being sold by ellusionist?

I don't like fanboys either. I'm an equal opportunity curmudgeon.

It also annoys me when I see grammar errors on here as well. It's something I've gown to live with on here... I sometimes have a grammatical error in my posts, but at least I proofread my posts to try and make sure everything is correct.

A typo is fine. But saying "it look hell sus" makes you sound like Borat on a bender.

And my personal belief is that if you didn't think a statement was important enough to communicate it normally, then it wasn't important enough to voice in the first place.

No wonder you're a moderator over at E, you champion their cause at every given turn.

I have never seen you attack someone for criticising a different distributor.

I actually stood up for the Theory 11 admins during the whole Death to the Double Undercut debacle. Again, I didn't even buy the video. But please, point me to such criticisms and I will gleefully tell those people why I think they suck. I'm equal opportunity.

You see kid, that's the problem with accusing me of things like this. It's very easy to prove you wrong.

(sigh) People sometimes ask me, "Alex, is it difficult being the next step in human evolution and an intellectual juggernaut?" Yes. Yes it is.

Aug 22, 2008
It's easier for me to assume that I'll hate any given magician I meet online until they prove themselves competent.

Furthermore, what makes you the beacon of competence?

I have not seen any videos sumbitted by you that suggests you are Lance Burton incarnate.

Your arrogance is truly astounding!

I guess it must be your age, as I am not young enough to know everything. :p

The Gramercy Riff

Sep 1, 2007
I have not seen any videos sumbitted by you that suggests you are Lance Burton incarnate.

I never said I was.

And my measure of competence is in the ability to relate to and connect with an audience. In that regard, I'm still far from David Blaine, Penn & Teller, Rick Maue, Cyril Takayama, or any of the other names I look up to. But as the old saying goes, you don't need to be a good actor to tell a bad one.

I notice that I've brought up several points of discussion that you have transparently ignored in favor of more ad hominem attacks. I suggest you brush up on your rhetorical skills and stop taking everything so personally before you attempt to continue this conversation.

To try and pull this back on topic, if you peruse my posts I've asked several questions and made a couple of points that I would like some to answer and argue for or against.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results