Sleight name?

Mar 31, 2019
What's it called when you spread the deck for the spectator to return their card and you keep control of the card after they put it in? Also when you spread the deck and force the spectator to pick the card they previously chose? Blaine does both of these

Jun 18, 2019
West Bengal, India
What's it called when you spread the deck for the spectator to return their card and you keep control of the card after they put it in? Also when you spread the deck and force the spectator to pick the card they previously chose? Blaine does both of these
You answered your own question.

When you keep track of the position of a card in a deck, it's called a 'control'. There are various controls out there, ranging from the simplest 'take their card and put it on the top', to a seemingly invisible classic pass.

When you manipulate which card they choose, it's called a force. Popular forces out there include the riffle force and of course, the classic force among many, many others.

If you're wondering what control/force Blaine uses in a specific case, then it'd be helpful if you attach a video of his performance.

:)

Aug 4, 2020
Bayville, NJ
Spread control. Alex Pandrea has a great tutorial on it. Also might want to check his version of the classic force.

Jun 18, 2019
West Bengal, India

He does the move at like the 2:03 mark right into what looks like a beautiful classic pass.
Nice! Though I'm not sure if the first effect that Blaine did was the one he intended to do originally. Regardless, he clearly aced it.

At 2:03 he does a classic pass as you pointed out. The strange thing about his performance here is that he could misdirect the volunteer even if the angle for the pass was bad, but he couldn't have misdirected the camera. So I don't know why he switched sides with the volunteer. Maybe he was unaware of the camera or maybe flashing a control was his intention, keeping in theme with his patter (or the reverse, he might've realised that he flashed the pass, and so clearly stated in his patter that he had controlled the card). I'm not sure why he did that...

Spread control. Alex Pandrea has a great tutorial on it. Also might want to check his version of the classic force.
The spread control is a really amazing move in good hands (literally). The classic force is the best force out there for a "touch any card" style of force. So if the OP wants to learn a control which starts from a spread, I'd recommend the spread control, and also the spread pass, Marlo's Convincing Control, or just the spread cull. I prefer the last two.

Also, OP, is the force you're talking about in this video?

Reactions: Galganosteven
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results