Sleight Of Hand Or Gimmick

May 26, 2009
What type of card magic do you think gets the best reactions , tricks that uses sleight of hand, even the simplest sleight like in the Biddle Trick or 2 card monte or tricks that uses gimmicks ??? What type of card magic do you prefer ?

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
As a magician I sometimes like watching card magic that takes technique but since its not about me rather the spectator,AND also me as a spectator I dont care much to see cards simply hopping around. And thats almost ALL you can do with pure sleight of hand.
Its look "here but oh wait now its here" but to me..it could be more magical.
Gimmicks provide a much needed kick to card illusions because in gimmicks/gaffs its not about the cards.
Its about what happens to them.A chosen card eerily rises out of the pack without the magicians touch..The printed pips move on a card(!)..So much incredible magic.
I dont like being credited for sleight of hand. I like to be credited for putting on a good show and making great illusions.

Either way,sleight of hand HAS to be incorporated anyway to the illusion. hiding the gimmick or certain movements to make it work. Gimmicks and sleight of hand arent at odds.Never have been
They are Interdependant.

Oct 18, 2008
www.youtube.com
I prefer using sleight of hand over gimmicks. I have only used gimmicks a couple of times, and doing tricks like the biddle card trick gets the same or better reactions from people, and also I just love practicing sleights all day so that has a lot to do with it.

May 4, 2009
Theatrics play a big part as well. I think raw sleight of hand with great theatrics is as powerful as any gimmicked card trick. Plus it's great when the spectator accuses you of having trick cards and you hand them the whole deck for examination.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
Give me a sealed deck of cards.... And I will entertain for about an hour and a half. Give me a gimmick... I will entertain for 10 mins.

Enough said. ;)

Thats the thing though.
Why on gods green earth would you seperate the two?
Besides,with cards,I dont think anyone could honestly hold an audiences attention for an hour and a half.Save ricky jay and he various types of magic in a show. Maybe Bill malone but that raises another question.
These individuals are praised for their sleight of hand during these demonstrations. Do you want to be seen as a very dextrous person.or an amazing illusionist?

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
I agree with visual artist on this one. I can grantee you that entertaining for 90 minutes is a whole different monster. Something that I don't see happening with only a deck of cards. I have heard of Paul Brook doing a 30 minute Out of this World effect and after reading a lot of his work I could see how he could pull it off. But that was one whole show and by his own admission he sat back and watched for most of it.

Anyway gimmicks have their place as does sleight of hand. The real decision that has to be made is what is the best method to achieve the desired effect. Whilst gimmicks usually make the effect easier and / or more impossible. It never hurts to have a back up method for especially when working with normal props cards, coins, etc. that if you are thrown on the spot that you can achieve at least a similar effect to the one that required a gimmick.

Sep 15, 2007
www.myspace.com
Thats the thing though.
Why on gods green earth would you seperate the two?
Besides,with cards,I dont think anyone could honestly hold an audiences attention for an hour and a half.Save ricky jay and he various types of magic in a show. Maybe Bill malone but that raises another question.
These individuals are praised for their sleight of hand during these demonstrations. Do you want to be seen as a very dextrous person.or an amazing illusionist?

I do a lot more than cards bro, that was just my 2 cents. Of course you can mix them, i don't mind lol. ;)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results