Slippery Cards

Mar 28, 2017
I recently got a fresh deck of bicycle and the cards are REALLY slippery.
Will they get less slippery over time or will they just stay the same?
It's just really difficult to control the cards when they freak out all the time.
Thank you ;)

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
They will get less slippery over time. Depending on how much you handle them, and how you handle them, that may be days, or minutes.

Reactions: SSGoku
Dec 31, 2015
To explain this in better detail, Bicycle Standard decks have an air cushion finish. This means that every playing card (on both the front and the back) will have little "pockets" in them that hold air (this is the case on every deck with an embossed finish). When a deck of cards with this quality is brand new, all of the "pockets" can hold air. This air allows for the smooth handling, even fans, spreads, and other moves to be done easily. The more you handle the deck (especially in a dirty environment or with unclean hands), more oils, greases, dirts, and other molecules will enter these "pockets", thereby preventing them from holding air. As this happens to a large space on the front or back of the card, cards will begin to clump and will not handle as smoothly.

Feb 1, 2017
I would suggest buying a bunch of decks (Costco sells a brick (12 decks) for ~$16) and then just getting used to handling cards when they're slippery. I've had a brick of bikes that I've been practicing with for over a month and they're still all slippery. If you want your decks to last you a while (especially luxury ones) you'll want to keep good care of them and cycling between different decks. For me that keeps them ridiculously clean and slippery. So I figured I would just get used to the slipperiness.

This way you can open a new deck, shuffle it a few times, spring it maybe and then you're ready to go. Waiting for a deck to get a little clumpy, so that you don't drop cards all over the place, takes so long.

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
This way you can open a new deck, shuffle it a few times, spring it maybe and then you're ready to go. Waiting for a deck to get a little clumpy, so that you don't drop cards all over the place, takes so long.
You don't have to necessarily let it clump up. If you break in a deck, it will get rid of some of the slipperiness, keep it ready at performance level, and stay usable much longer.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results