Small hands...no, seriously...small hands...

What is your favourite card palming technique?

• Total voters
Aug 15, 2017
Here's the thing...
I heard people whine "My hands are too small" LOADS of times. And it made me mad, because I have miniature hands being 14 and can do whatever flourish or sleight I want to, even if big hands have an advantage. So I usually ignore the 'small hands' whiners.
I had this thing for palming cards, I always wanted to do it FINALLY, but never actually got down to learning it. And for once, I was afraid my hands were too small. RRTCM gave me assurance tho, and confidence that I can do it. When my hand is flat and fingers joined, I do manage to hide the card. But in that position I can't palm the card, because the outer-left corner is not on THE SPOT that enables you to palm the card.
Even if I manage to palm the card, my ring finger obstinately moves away from my pinky. If the ring fingers stays joined, everything would be fine, but nope. When they do get all joined, and there are no ''windows''...the outer-left corner flashes.
My ring finger just won't join with the pinky! And as I said, even if it does, a corner peeks out.
I sincerely hope this is wrong technique, not small hands. But am afraid it IS abt me having small hands.
So can you guys recommend something? Maybe a way I can do the classic card palm?
I know abt alternate palming techniques, but I want to get done with this palm first.

PS:- Altering card size, not an option, just saying.
But if you guys suggest a hand transplant, I might consider that :)

Oct 29, 2017
Norway
suppose you could bend the card somewhat during the palming, but then you would have to watch the angles even further...
Classic palm IS a tricky palm technique though...if you struggle too much with it, I highly advice clipping the card between 2 fingers (or with thumb only) or just stay with tenkai for a while, then come back to classic in a few weeks/months

and yeh, "hands too small can`t palm" is a bad excuse...ofc if your hands ARE very small, you may not be able to do a SPECIFIC technique, but that doesn`t mean you can`t do others successfully

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Max Malini, one of the most respected magicians in history, had hands so small that a card classic palmed would stick out the side.

Palming isn't about completely covering the card with your hand, it's about having a natural hand position and directing attention away from the "dirty" hand.

Reactions: Lord Magic
Aug 15, 2017
Max Malini, one of the most respected magicians in history, had hands so small that a card classic palmed would stick out the side.

Palming isn't about completely covering the card with your hand, it's about having a natural hand position and directing attention away from the "dirty" hand.
REALLY?

Lyle Borders

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.theory11.com
The only "palming" technique I frequently use is the Gambler's Cop. I NEVER get called out on it, despite the card hanging out the back. It is all about natural movements and managing your audience's attention. Don't give people any reason to look at the dirty hand, and always give them somewhere else to look, somewhere more exciting.

// L

Reactions: RealityOne

Biz

Elite Member
Jun 13, 2013
Romania
bizandfriends.com
I have seen... what's his name.. .Danni DaOrtiz palm just horribly during his performance. It was not that everybody noticed. It was that I noticed because I did not speak Spanish so I could never be misdirected verbally. When it came to the palm, no body saw it because they were so spellbound by his patter, his stories that they did not see the palm happen.

The thing you should focus most on is your personality. Keep in mind that it is what makes you different from all other magicians around the world and when someone calls you weird or strange, know that it means you are trying to do you. And it will take practice with patter, testing and testing. With the stories you tell you can guide the spectator away from the trick, from the thought of catching you, away from this world - and this is what the spectator wants.

Malini was a great technician, but he must've been a great master at misdirecting as well. Work with your shortcomings, your flaws are there in order to evolve you. Imagine you walking up a mountain, meeting in your path boulders and fallen trees, wild animals and hikers (these are metaphors for "sweaty hands", "small hands", "dislexya" etc.) - the bigger the obstacle that you meet the more you will evolve if you learn to play with it, let it inspire you to build around it (like you can have an entire routine based upon how the corner shows when you palm cards - and the punchline could be that the entire card vanishes except for the corner that shows) for if you manage to magic your way around the obstacles that you meet in your path, you will allow them to shape who you will become and they also will make the difference that you are in comparison to all other magicians.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results