Small pre-Christmas show

wZEnigma

Elite Member
Jun 17, 2009
NE Ohio.
ianchandlerwriting.com
I'm performing a small show next week at my college. Probably 10-15 people will be in the audience. It's going to be roughly 20-30 minutes long, and I was wondering what would make up a good set. Here's what I plan to do so far:

Chicago Opener
Think Stop
Betwixt
Biddle Trick
Whack Your Pack
Cannibal

Any suggestions as to additional material are great! I'd like to incorporate more stuff, maybe a coin trick or two? Also, I am doing some tricks afterward in a more relaxed setting, so recommendations for that would be sweet, too. Thanks!

Ian

Jan 6, 2012
I like to do French Kiss by Wayne Houchin, just my personal preference. good luck in your show.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
The show is next week and you have no act? Bad form.

I can't make any suggestions because I don't know your character, your style, or what you're good at.

wZEnigma

Elite Member
Jun 17, 2009
NE Ohio.
ianchandlerwriting.com
But if you hadn't noticed, I listed a few of the tricks I plan on doing. I thought I could get some input on any additional material that would be good for a small crowd. I'll check out French Kiss, but it might not be the right venue for it. And thanks for the wishes, lax.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
The one time I don't recommend simply dropping a show and someone takes it sarcastically anyway. Oh well. I don't think you should worry about learning any new tricks. You've only got a week.

What you listed are six tricks with no connection whatsoever, and no presentational theme to tie them together. With CO taking about a minute for most people, Think Stop, Betwixt, Biddle all being about 2 minutes, Whack Your Pack being about 2.5 ... that's 9.5 minutes of material. I'm not sure which 'cannibal' trick you're referring to but the ones I can think of are anywhere from 1.5 to 5 minutes. So overall you're looking at (judging by average performances, since I don't think I've seen any of your performances) 11 to 14.5 minutes of material. That's also assuming you've got the performance experience not to rush through anything.

So you need anywhere from 5.5 to 9 minutes of material to meet the minimum amount of time you're expected to perform. And you want suggestions based solely on a list of tricks which give no indication of character, style, experience or resources available. We also don't know what environment you'll be in. What lighting, is there a table, etc?

You've got a bit of mind reading in there with Think Stop, so you could throw in a three-phase mind reading bit. The first using a peek, the second using a force, the last using K.E.N.T. That should be at least four minutes.

Betwixt and Biddle are too similar, don't use them in the same show unless there's a presentational reason that makes them build off each other some how. I would use Betwixt as it probably has more potential to fill time.

I wouldn't use Whack Your Pack in a professional show unless you've got a way to avoid having to pick the cards up afterward. You do not want to look like you're chasing a chicken.

If you've got Greg Wilson's Revolution, that fills up a decent amount of time and is a way to show all the cards without having to say, "Look all the cards are different." It's not technically difficult but if you don't know it already you may not have time to get it down. Mostly because the video has some flaws in it, which I have addressed in reviews which I think I posted here at T11. If not, I know I posted it on Ellusionist.

I never actually open with Chicago Opener, personally. I used to use it third. Because by then I'd done tricks which show all the cards, front and back, and I allow the spectator to take the deck to make their selection. It takes longer this way and it's more impossible.

If you've got Tony Chang's ChangE, you can do his "Defective Deck" routine to open, go into his DVR (The Joker is already set aside), then go into Chicago Opener.

If you have 10 people then you have enough to do a Tossed Out Deck. That would fit together at the end of the mind-reading section I mentioned above, but you might want to cut out one of the other phases as it will probably be getting redundant by then.

You could also do an ID routine, but you'll have to figure out how to make it seem magical with all this sleight of hand going on.

There. Lots of suggestions.

Oh, and the biggest one. Don't book a show if you don't have it already written.

wZEnigma

Elite Member
Jun 17, 2009
NE Ohio.
ianchandlerwriting.com
That was a bit of good-humored sarcasm, I meant no distate. And I appreciate the advice, but you're coming off rather harshly. At least, that's the vibe received, I apologize if that isn't so. As far as set-up for the event, I'll likely have a small table to use. The lighting is fluorescent, with a few overhead lights. I do look for connections between tricks, but you also have to understand this: It is a very informal setting and I was asked to do it as a casual thing. It is designed more as an opportunity for me to simply showcase the magic I do and brighten other people's day. Seeing as I do magic on a regular basis, I see nothing wrong with this.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Enigma,
If you want, I believe I live by your college. I would be willing to help you out some if you wanted to swing by my house. Do you have a car or way to get over to my place? Depending on the time I might even come watch your performance if you would want me to. I am a school teacher and wrestling coach though so it would depend when this little show was going to happen.

wZEnigma

Elite Member
Jun 17, 2009
NE Ohio.
ianchandlerwriting.com
Tyler, I did in my last post.

Rick, sorry I never got back to you on the meeting, I've been busy with work. The show is next Friday at around 8:30 PM, and I mostly have my material down, I simply need refinements. I don't drive, however, so that might be a bit of an issue haha. If you want to make arrangements, I'll shoot you a message and we'll talk.

wZEnigma

Elite Member
Jun 17, 2009
NE Ohio.
ianchandlerwriting.com
Ah, alright. I'm a card man, though I'm not terribly shabby with coins, I simply have focused on card magic. My performance style is straightforward - that is, I don't put on a character or persona, but am rather myself with an extra bit of presentation, if that makes sense. I prefer casualness because I believe it increases the unbelievable factor.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Just because it's informal doesn't mean you should treat it as any less important than a full on evening show. Every performance is important.

A table will allow you some other tricks. Lapping and such.

I'm at work so I can't think of anything right now, but it seems like you've got an idea of what you are going to do anyway.

wZEnigma

Elite Member
Jun 17, 2009
NE Ohio.
ianchandlerwriting.com
True, but the casual factor of it lends to a more relaxed environment. I didn't consider lapping, I might have to try that. I was considering card tricks done on the table with some mixed-in coin stuff, as I'll most likely be standing.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results