SMILE by Justin Miller

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Brad,

That was my thinking as well with Paul Gertner's handling. He even has a new one that he uses with the WOW gimmick and the cell phone. I saw it at his last lecture.

I even called Justin on the phone a day after he released SMILE and we talked about it and how similar it was to his. The effects are similar but there are enough differences I guess.

As soon as I saw the SMILE teaser I immediately thought Justin had gotten this idea from Paul.

Sep 1, 2007
Cleveland, Ohio
J Miller has gone in reverse, from professional, clean cut and with amazing effects and routines, to annoying 'street', 'hip' 1 trick video style with stupid tricks. It's usually the other way round. -____-

Indeed, over the past few years he has gone through quite the image change. No problem with that I suppose, though I liked him more clean cut. And thats all Im going to say about that, any more and I may come off as insulting. Anyway....Yeah.

Dec 13, 2007
North Hollywood
personally I like his new style more, haha but it makes no difference to me how he looks really, SMILE is EASY and AWESOME, i performed it 8 times today and got 7 phone numbers, didnt ask the 5th one, she was with her boyfriend haha, It really does get great reactions. I think the only person that should be concerned with JM style is JM

Jun 4, 2008
www.wtfnolimits.com
For those that care about such things - Paul Gertner has had an effect on the market for some time now (and was doing it well before then) combining card changes and cell phones.

Brad Henderson

(I am not sure of Paul's exact effect, and I do not know how that compares to what Justin is offering, but the card change/cel phone idea most recently was brought to people's attention by Paul. He also had some great work on signed card to cell phones-palm pilots dating back to the early 90's)

And I give paul credit in the download brad just so you. He uses a WOW gimmick in conjunction with his effect photo cell and digital dreams...SMILE is 100 percent impromptu that uses NO GIMMICKS WHATSOEVER! The facts were brought to my attention when a friend of mine saw gertners new lecture (which I am dying to see). He is not the first one to have an image change on a cell phone.
if thats the case B. Smiths Digital conviction out dates paul's idea in the fact of just performing the effect...but not marketed it.
JM

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 4, 2008
www.wtfnolimits.com
Brad,

That was my thinking as well with Paul Gertner's handling. He even has a new one that he uses with the WOW gimmick and the cell phone. I saw it at his last lecture.

I even called Justin on the phone a day after he released SMILE and we talked about it and how similar it was to his. The effects are similar but there are enough differences I guess.

As soon as I saw the SMILE teaser I immediately thought Justin had gotten this idea from Paul.

Nope never seen pauls or heard of it before revhart told me about it.
I give credit where credit is due and Paul was given credit on the download, and so were the people who had the basic idea of a card change on a cell phone before Gertner, B. Smith and Paul Harris to name 2.
JM

Jun 4, 2008
www.wtfnolimits.com
personally I like his new style more, haha but it makes no difference to me how he looks really, SMILE is EASY and AWESOME, i performed it 8 times today and got 7 phone numbers, didnt ask the 5th one, she was with her boyfriend haha, It really does get great reactions. I think the only person that should be concerned with JM style is JM

A man who speaks truth with wisdom..thank you for bringing us back to reality.
JM

Nicely done on the flirt front..lol

Dec 14, 2007
If Gertner was the first to publish the idea - then he gets the credit. Those are the rules. There is also an established protocol seeking permission before offering one's version when a marketed item has already established itself in the marketplace.

The post to which I replied suggested that what one was paying for was the idea of combining cards and cell phones, suggesting no one else would have come up with the idea.

This was the information that needed to be corrected.

Many magicians have toyed with the idea of combining cards and cell phones, and Paul Gertner was one of the very first back when cell phones first came onto the market. Many others have explored the idea, but established magic protocol ascribes credit to the first person to ethically publish their work.

Of course, variations like this beg the question - how much would need to be changed in order to justify republication? For example, if I took someone else's routine and substituted a double life instead of a top change, would that make it 'mine'?

If someone took someone else's idea and replaced a gimmick with a sleight or a sleight with a gimmick, would that justify publication?

I tend to ascribe to Darwin's Law in these matters.As Close commented many items today are not taking steps forward, just sideways.

I find both ideas to be valuable when it comes to reviewing and considering not only marketed and published items, but created work of my I devising.

Having said that, I am troubled Justin seemed to imply that the only on topic comments (or rather, the only ones that reflect 'reality')would be the one's praising his item. The historical record is far more important, and far more 'real', than any one man's download. Forums like these will become sources for that record. Putting ideas into their historical context is something all magicians who care about their artform would - I hope - always be considered important,on topic, and 'real.'

Dec 14, 2007
The magic community has been around longer than you, Justin, or I have been. In that time, several protocols have developed. Generally one learns about them by asking those who came before OR by picking them up while engaged in a thorough study of the artform we claim to love and respect.

I am sure one finds it flattering to think their 'opinion' (after being in magic for a few years) would be more important, inciteful, or relevant than what the community has evolved over centuries, but it is this disregard for the community and its norms that have led to a marketplace flooded with giant steps backwards, outright theft, and a bevvy of ideas that while marketable remain impractical and irrelevant. And an entire generation who thinks the trick where one group of bills changes into another is some kind of 'hundy' effect, and Greg Wilson is it's brain-father.

But I digress.

the simple answer would be: ask anyone who has established themselves as an ethical publisher of ideas or at least someone who is concerned with the ethical publishing of ideas as it related to preserving the historical record.

There is a fascinating exchange in one of Sadowitz's Crimp magazines on this topic. You could also seek information from writers like Racherbaumer, Kaufman, or Minch. You could talk to reviewers who deal with this issue regularly such as Swiss, England, Lovick, or Mead. And if you happen to be of an Abby Hoffman mindet and not trust any of these men, you might chat up Aaron Fisher or Lee Asher. I think Lee once blogged a really interesting essay on preserving the record.

Yes, each of these suggestions require work on your part to get what you want-the information and understanding you seek.

But it seems to me, it's been the desire to take the easy path, to ignore what has come before, to consider only the new NOT the better, to privledge one's personal desires for fame and a quick buck over the protection and development of our artform which has created a demographic that is unaware that such protocols even exist.

Now, I know at least one person is itching to type something about being a maverick, breaking rules, being let down by their elders or starting a revolutuon in magic.

Yeah - except it's kind of meaningless to break rules when you don't know what they are, it's hard to be let by someone who you really know nothing about, and 12 new ways to do cap in bottle, torn and restored card, and cutting the deck with one hand is hardly a revolution.

When I consider the history of other arts, it seems to indicate that revolutions arise from within a system - from people who have studied and mastered the old and willfully changed to embrace something new.

So, in short, the answer is expanding one's horizons beyond what is given to them on the internet to an immersian and study of the artform one claims to love or at the least be interested in. Not to make a dvd to sell as quickly as one can, but because the artform matters.

Brad

Jun 4, 2008
www.wtfnolimits.com
Brad Henderson:If Gertner was the first to publish the idea - then he gets the credit. Those are the rules. There is also an established protocol seeking permission before offering one's version when a marketed item has already established itself in the marketplace.

The post to which I replied suggested that what one was paying for was the idea of combining cards and cell phones, suggesting no one else would have come up with the idea.

This was the information that needed to be corrected.
Agreed! I am not even close to the first one. And I have left paul a message on his phone about 2 weeks before I released SMILE..but I am confident that mine is different enough to exist on the same plane as his that if it happens I am wrong i will gladly change whatever needs to be changed to satisfy Paul. After all I know paul and he gave me a quote for Silver Dream.
We worked the 75th annual magi fest together.

Many magicians have toyed with the idea of combining cards and cell phones, and Paul Gertner was one of the very first back when cell phones first came onto the market. Many others have explored the idea, but established magic protocol ascribes credit to the first person to ethically publish their work.
Mos def ...wow brad you and I agreeing really is pretty amazing!

Of course, variations like this beg the question - how much would need to be changed in order to justify republication? For example, if I took someone else's routine and substituted a double life instead of a top change, would that make it 'mine'?
Double lift no of course not. In order to justify a similar routine on the market place is it would need to be a better, more practical method (in all its entirety, delivery, sleights, psychology to name a few).
I stand behind the method to SMILE.

If someone took someone else's idea and replaced a gimmick with a sleight or a sleight with a gimmick, would that justify publication?

I tend to ascribe to Darwin's Law in these matters.As Close commented many items today are not taking steps forward, just sideways.

I find both ideas to be valuable when it comes to reviewing and considering not only marketed and published items, but created work of my I devising.

Having said that, I am troubled Justin seemed to imply that the only on topic comments (or rather, the only ones that reflect 'reality')would be the one's praising his item.
WTF are you talking about? How did I imply that? The historical record is far more important, and far more 'real', than any one man's download. Of course they are but each improvement that is truly better than the last should get the due credit it deserves. Forums like these will become sources for that record. Putting ideas into their historical context is something all magicians who care about their artform would - I hope - always be considered important,on topic, and 'real.Yes and WTF No Limits are one of those who does truly care about such matters. We will do r research to the best of our ability and using the best possible resource for each effect.

JM

Oct 21, 2007
Bergen County, NJ, USA
Smile is a great effect, Gertner was properly credited in the download... let's move on.

Nah, I'd rather talk about how Justin Miller looks in his downloads.

I dunno, the magic is great, but he's too "streety" for me. I'd rather watch David J. Castle expose magic. At least he dresses nicely. I mean, really Justin? Baseball cap and t shirt? Are you trying to look hip? LOOK AT ME! I'M JUSTIN MILLER! I LOOK COOLER THAN EVERYONE ELSE!

Please...

Anyway, did you guys see the latest issue of Street Magic Fashion Magazine? They did an article on JM. I found it pretty insightful.

SM.jpg

-Doug

Jun 4, 2008
www.wtfnolimits.com

I dunno, the magic is great, but he's too "streety" for me. I'd rather watch David J. Castle expose magic. At least he dresses nicely. I mean, really Justin? Baseball cap and t shirt? Are you trying to look hip? LOOK AT ME! I'M JUSTIN MILLER! I LOOK COOLER THAN EVERYONE ELSE!

Please...

Anyway, did you guys see the latest issue of Street Magic Fashion Magazine? They did an article on JM. I found it pretty insightful.

SM.jpg

-Doug

DYING LAUGHING.. Thanks Dougie you made my day.
JM

Oct 23, 2007
i personally love the simplicity of SMILE. i have been messing around with cellphone card tricks for a bit, and i m kicking myself in the head for not thinking of SMILE. i guess that as magicians, most of us have the necesscity to learn really hard knuckle busting sleights to satisfy our needs(not that they are nt cool), but we tend to forget, well i tend to forget the basic concept of learning magic as the art of deception with easy sleights, or no sleights at all. after my first six months of learning magic, i was actually fooled by a backslip force.

if one were to get the DL, its not just the handlings of smile that you will get, but also Justin'e personal thoughts on how to make the effect work for you. and just like his other tutorial videos in the past (bullet, army of 52, factory sealed), this trick is a winner. Keep it up Justin.

Sep 1, 2007
Is there an alternate method of purchasing this? The site's bandwidth has been exceeded, and has been down all day.

Bandwidth Limit Exceeded

The server is temporarily unable to service your request due to the site owner reaching his/her bandwidth limit. Please try again later.

Apache/2.2.13 (Unix) mod_ssl/2.2.13 OpenSSL/0.9.8e-fips-rhel5 mod_auth_passthrough/2.1 mod_bwlimited/1.4 FrontPage/5.0.2.2635 Server at www.magicofjoeriggs.com Port 80

Oct 21, 2007
Bergen County, NJ, USA
Is there an alternate method of purchasing this? The site's bandwidth has been exceeded, and has been down all day.

Just contacted Justin. They had an unexpected large amount of traffic on their site. They are working on getting the problem fixed as soon as possible. You'll be able to purchase their stuff very soon.

-Doug

All of my past purchases from Justin have been Top notch tricks that have always gave me the reactions I wanted( yes this sentence sounds like an infomercial). I haven't gotten this trick yet but judging from the trailer and the reviews this trick is going on my to get list.

Also one more thing I'd like to say. I personally think that Justin's new "street" style is more suited for today's crowds. Wearing suits are great for special occasions but for performing on the streets or in parties, it's best to blend in with the crowd.

The simplicity of this effect has nothing to do with the outcome. I recommend this to anyone that wants that one effect that you can carry with you to create a perfect opening scenario allowing you to interact with your audience and get on a personal level with them.

Shane

Dec 14, 2007
Brad Henderson:
Having said that, I am troubled Justin seemed to imply that the only on topic comments (or rather, the only ones that reflect 'reality')would be the one's praising his item.
WTF are you talking about? How did I imply that? The historical record is far more important, and far more 'real', than any one man's download. Of course they are but each improvement that is truly better than the last should get the due credit it deserves. Forums like these will become sources for that record. Putting ideas into their historical context is something all magicians who care about their artform would - I hope - always be considered important,on topic, and 'real.Yes and WTF No Limits are one of those who does truly care about such matters. We will do r research to the best of our ability and using the best possible resource for each effect.
JM

Justin, It was your line about "getting back to reality" in regard to someone's positive post after a string of non-positive/review based posts that made it seem like you were implying that only praise posts were based in reality. If you did not intend that, I completely understand. But from an outside reader's perspective, that's what it seemed to say. We can chalk that up to internet misunderstanding.

Smile is a great effect, Gertner was properly credited in the download... let's move on.

-Doug

Doug,

(I realize the quoting feature takes your statement out of context, sorry about that.)

Matt, It was Doug's post that stated that the value came from the combination of cards and cell phone, and that none would have thought of this, that mandated the digression. As Justin has written, forums like this are part of the public record. While I commend him for crediting Gertner on the download, I felt your statement did a disservice to Paul, those who HAVE explored the idea, the public record, and those who someday may seek information on the subject.

Like I said, I know a lot of magicians do not care about these things.

But those who do care about the creative process and respecting the works of creators, do.

Brad

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results