Smoke - Derren Brown

Oct 28, 2007
Recently i have been viewing some Darren Brown videos and every video i get more and more amazed, but Smoke was one of the effects that i reacted by saying WHAT THE F***!!!! and i know that this is for sale but i had a few questions. (don't answer if it is revealing in any way)

1. Does it use any special props?
2. Can they choose any card?
3. Is there a set up in any way?
4. Is it difficult to preform?
5. Is it a 100% percent guarentee to guess the correct card?
6. Do you already have to now any advance NLP methods to preform this?
7. Is there anywhere else that i can purchase this by its self.

Please answer because, i don't want to purchase a $60 dvd if i need any other stuff or have to now certain things. Thanks

Sep 1, 2007
Venezuela
1.- just cards
3.- yeah
4.- not at all
5. I think that yes
6.- cant remember
7.- dont think so,

You WANT to spend 60$ on the dvd, cus the other stuff is as awesome as this trick is believe me

Oct 28, 2007
finally some answers, thank you, i might be picking this up.

oh and were can i get the devil's picture book?

Recently i have been viewing some Darren Brown videos and every video i get more and more amazed, but Smoke was one of the effects that i reacted by saying WHAT THE F***!!!! and i know that this is for sale but i had a few questions. (don't answer if it is revealing in any way)

1. Does it use any special props? Yes, MindPower Deck.
2. Can they choose any card? Any card they see.
3. Is there a set up in any way? Yes.
4. Is it difficult to preform? That's a relative question.
5. Is it a 100% percent guarentee to guess the correct card? With some fishing, yes.
6. Do you already have to now any advance NLP methods to preform this? No.
7. Is there anywhere else that i can purchase this by its self. No.

Please answer because, i don't want to purchase a $60 dvd if i need any other stuff or have to now certain things. Thanks

My answers are in your quote in red.

Jan 23, 2008
Leeds, UK
Once you have the mindpower deck, just watch the effect a few more times, you'll figure out the setup and you can even see the cig switch on the video if you watch close enough (although you do ned to be sat at a table to do it (with a bucket of sand at your side!))

PS - Smoke is d+M's favourit card effect

Oct 9, 2007
The DVD is amazing. But if the only thing you are going to get from it is Smoke then I would say save your money. Smoke is also printed in DB Pure Effect book which is also very good.

Pure Effect and Devils Picturebook are both very advanced. I havn't read PE in a long time but DPB is a piece of gold in most magicians collection. Things like his Out of this World and Oil and Water that are taught in the DVD are just amazing. You definately won't be dissapointed if you pick this up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 28, 2007
Sydney Australia
Smoke is a brilliant effect, but props do cost quite a fair amount of money and/or difficult to make. + You need to be a smoker

Smoke is published in pure effect as well as his video 'Devil's Picturebook' which in my opinion is one of the greatest magic investments I have made.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results