So, I want to do a stage show. Thoughts?

Jan 5, 2010
Alabama
Hey everyone!

So today I've set two really big goal to accomplish within the next two years. First, is to finish my college education and have a degree. The second one is to book this local theater for a 1 hour show! Now, I'm wanting to put together something really special, that will allow me to try and make a name for myself.

Here goes: I want big illusions, card manipulation, danger, and impossible. Now, what would you recommend for someone in my shoes? I've been seriously studying magic for a little over a year, and I know I can pull off a stage show with the right preparation and practice.

Most of the illusions I'm pulling from Tarbell and Greater Magic, but I still think I need something more. I'm not just trying to do stand-up or parlour, but grand illusion and entertainment!

What are your thoughts, where would you send me? By the way, I already have a skilled carpenter and not looking to buy illusions unless I really really have to. Blueprints work just fine with me :)

I'm really looking forward to some of your advice (J.Bayme, Draven) and all of you!

PS - Most of my inspiration is Copperfield, Lance Burton, Jeff McBride.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 6, 2010
Nashville, TN
I'm not sure if someone who has been doing magic for a little over a year should have an actual show. I'm not trying to say that you're not good. Just that the average magician who has been doing magic for a year doesn't have the experience for a show. Just saying.

Jan 5, 2010
Alabama
I'm not sure if someone who has been doing magic for a little over a year should have an actual show. I'm not trying to say that you're not good. Just that the average magician who has been doing magic for a year doesn't have the experience for a show. Just saying.

What does my experience in magic have to do with anything? I've been a performer for over 11 years, I've been in front of enormous audiences.

Now, that out of the way, I also stated that it was two years from now, not two weeks.

Sep 2, 2007
Houston, TX
Another thing that is sweet is "The Thing" by Bill Abbott. It can be found on magicians.com

I'm not sure if that is big enough for what you are looking for, but I think Lance Burton (don't hold me to that because I'm not sure if it was him) did something like The Thing, but on stage with MUCH bigger "spirits" if you will

Well I can say one thing. Your ambitious. If your going to do this, and go balls to the wall, one easy way to book the theater is to four wall it. Meaning you rent space, then charge tickets at the door to recoup your investment.

Hour long show by yourself is great, if you can put together a program that plays, but you've got more than just effects to consider. Lighting and Sound too! The right music can really make an act work that much better.

Press is important, you're going to want to notify the local papers, send out press releases and contact local radio and news outlets.

Have someone film the performance. If possible film with a couple different cameras at different angles. Also have someone on hand to take plenty of still shots.

Also you may want to consider teaming up with someone else. Sure you'll headline, but get them to open for you.

all the best to you on the project.

One of the best card manipulation dvd's are the Jeff McBride series. They are just fantastic! It has a LOT of productions like making fans appear from no where then dropping the fan, and producing another, and another. He also has some other really neat productions! I really recommend it! I can't remember if the other 2 dvds have lots'a productions but.. here's one of them: http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=94

Really cool stuff!

Mehar

Sep 9, 2010
Mcbride's USED to be the best place to learn Card Manipulation, now? SHERIDAN COURSE! don't even think about it, just buy it man!:)

Jul 13, 2009
Mcbride's USED to be the best place to learn Card Manipulation, now? SHERIDAN COURSE! don't even think about it, just buy it man!:)

Sheridan is the one who trained Mcbride in the art of Manipulation. Mcbride and Sheridan have and probably always will be the best living people to learn card manipulations from. No need for childish favoritism.

But if you want to make a stage show, you'll probably want to examine what your budget is, what assistance and techies you'll need to operate the beast and many other things tht Draven has already posted. Stage illusions can either be a great purchase, or an expensive mistake. Sure you got the box, but it is up to the magician to choreograph and work with a director of some sort to achieve an illusions full potential. But anyway, good luck to you. Personally if I were in your shoes I'd start working small comedy clubs, open mics, bars, etc.

Jan 5, 2010
Alabama
Thanks for all the advice!

I have Sheridan's Course AND McBrides Course, and have been working on manipulation for about 6 months.

As for my budget, it's whatever I want it to be. I've been saving up a lot for this, and can afford to spend whatever I need to spend. Also, as I said, I have a skilled carpenter in the family that will help me build from blueprints, so that will save some money.

The theater I want to book also has lighting and sound guys that you can 'hire' along with the stage, so I'm sure that will be useful. I know J.Bayme had his stage shows and everything, and would really like some input from him.

Also, Draven, from your video clips it shows you doing stage magic, so what did you pull your repitoire from? Like I said I have Tarbell and Greater Magic, but was also thinking of buying an Osbourne book on illusions. Also Steinmeyer has books on them too, so I'll check those out.

Thanks again for all the advice!

Sep 2, 2007
Houston, TX
I believe that Andrew Mayne has a DVD out called Illusion EFX that shows how to make 7 different stage illusions for cheap...I know you said you can spend whatever, but I'm sure some of the illusions can be modified and built of better quality...plus, it never hurts to save money!

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Like I said I have Tarbell and Greater Magic, but was also thinking of buying an Osbourne book on illusions. Also Steinmeyer has books on them too, so I'll check those out.

Some Steinmeyer suggestions

-Hiding the Elephant (no plans but gives you a sense of what really makes illusions work)

- The Magic of Alan Wakeling (plans but also presentation and patter -- Alan's Thin Sawing is a masterclass in presentation) its OOP but you can find it for around $25.

- Modern Art

- Technique and Understanding

The Osbourne books are great, especially the Begin to Build your own illusions books The Black Book has the most plans in it (but most are from Genii). If you check out the Cafe, there is a sticky in the Illusion section that lays out what is in all the plans. Also, if you subscribe to Genii, you get access to the digital Genii archives which have a lot of the Osbourne plans. As you know, there are also the full blueprints available.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
Ok... first things first, PM me if you'd like some serious guidance on this front. I traveled for over 20 years doing a major illusion show and managed a couple of very large collections aside from my work with Creative Illusions. I'm always glad to help new blood trying to build something commercial.

I applaud you in working with material out of Tarbell; it's a priceless resource that most ignore these days. I'd encourage you to pick up a couple of important building plan resources as well; the Byron Wells Illusion Plan Books (brace yourself, they are costly these days) and all of the Paul Osborne books. I can't think of a single serious illusion builder that don't have both of these resources within arms reach of their desk. One thing to note is that these two resources also have about a dozen different types of transpositions/metamorphosis type bits.(note: The term "Metamorphosis" is actually wrong when it comes to things like the Sub Trunk, Assistant's Revenge, etc. in that they are an "exchange" or "transposition" in that one or more objects change place. A "Metamorphosis" is more accurately seen in an effect like the Lion's Bride, Blue Room, Girl to Gorilla, etc. )

There are a couple of very important things to bear in mind however, when you are moving into big stage;

a.) COST -- not just the up-front investment but likewise the cost of up-keep, storage, transport, insurance, up-grading, etc.
b.) PRACTICALITY -- you must consider WHICH VERSION of the many effects will work best for you in the venues you plan on working in. For an example; I can give you at least 8 chief versions to the famed Asrah Levitation, a few of which you can do in someone's living room or on the streets. You need to know which version is going to be most practical to you and the type of venues you will be working most. This is true with the majority of props out there; there is more than one way of creating the effect and too, buying an Abbott made Broom Suspension (as an example) is NOT the same as one you'd get from Owens or Bill Smith; every builder has his own little twist on the design with the more experienced builders knowing how to make things look cleaner, work smoother, and cost you less headache in the long run. When you are looking at props requiring a base, study the same effect by looking at how each major builder trims and delivers on deception of thickness; taking into account (again) the sort of venues you plan on working and prop size... you can own a sweet base but it you can't roll it on and off the stage it won't do you much good -- sometimes there's a trade-off for this reason.
c.) THE PROP WORKER -- contrary to popular belief not all girls are created equal. You might think it great to own a Zig Zag from the Henning Show but most of Doug's girls were roughly 5' 2" because he was small built... in other words, your planned assistant might not fit the prop, so take her along for a fitting when and where you can. BUT... this isn't always a huge issue. If you are blessed to have a girl (or guy) that is exceptionally flexible you can get a 6' 2" assistant into props made for a smaller person... this is one the big secrets that make big illusions so much fun, so keep it in mind as you plan things out.
d.) LIGHTING & SOUND -- yes, you will need to include such things (as well as sets) with your show inventory, so learn about it and be prepared to put a big chunk of cash into it or else you're not going to get very far.
e.) LIVESTOCK -- while bunnies, puppies and even over-sized kitties are neat they also require care, feeding, and special permits. You don't have to have them in your show unless that's a viable part of your plan, but think long and hard about it; especially given how groups like PETA are working hard at outlawing all aspects of "animal acts" such as circus, magic shows, etc. Be prepared for spot inspections and other wonderful headaches on that front.

Ok, that's the short list. Take a deep breath and think about it.;)

Jan 5, 2010
Alabama
Reality One - Thanks for the book recommendations! I already own 'Hiding the Elephant' and LOVE it. I'm trying to grab a hold of "Modern Art" and Osbourne's "Little Black Book".

Craig - Thank you so much for this post, it was exactly what I was looking for. I will PM you tomorrow! I literally know very little about stage illusions and variations, so your knowledge will be invaluable!

:D

Also, Draven, from your video clips it shows you doing stage magic, so what did you pull your repitoire from? Like I said I have Tarbell and Greater Magic, but was also thinking of buying an Osbourne book on illusions. Also Steinmeyer has books on them too, so I'll check those out.

The Majority of my current stage act comes from American Side Show (not a book or DVD, but the style of performance), Swami Mantra (This is a book), and some pick and choosings from the Bizarre world (Tony Chris, Andruzzi, and Eugene Burger).

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results