SoCal Performers?

For anyone interested, the variety of topics we covered during the session included:

CARD MAGIC
1. Richard Sanders' material, specifically the structuring and patter of King Thing.
2. Ambitious Card, specifically an insanely visual rising effect inspired by Daniel Garcia's Fallen utilizing Ed Marlo's Tilt.
3. Torn and Restored Card, specifically Daniel Garcia's Torn and David Williamson's Torn and Restored Transpo.
4. Miscellaneous controls from Roberto Giobbi's Card College, workshopping the fundamentals of Ed Marlo's Convincing Control.
5. Self-working magic, including Geoff William's Devastation.

We had cards on us during the whole day, so we had sporadic conversations regarding other recently popular sleights like ClipShift, Gamblers Cop, One-Hand Top Palm, etc. It was a pretty productive session for him; Kontents is a relatively new guy in sleight-of-hand who has a deep interest in card magic and close-up magic. While I introduced him to some noteworthy books and material, he showed me some pretty cool gaffed decks I never played with before like the Mirage Deck. Clever stuff. I gave him a first edition deck of Black Ghosts as a thank-you for coming out.

MENTALISM
1. Looch's Material from SAD Mentalism, including my modified handling to his Nod to Pocket Watch.
2. A workshop on equivoque.
3. Various psychological forces with and without cards.
4. A workshop on loops, including the impact of animation.
5. A brief conversation discussing the myths of hypnosis and how it can be used to supplement mentalism.

Mentalism's more in my comfort zone these days, and I enjoyed deconstructing various pieces during the session. A lot of the material I performed was inspired by Joshua Quinn's work in ParaLies. We ended everything off by watching Derren Brown's Russian Roulette on YouTube. Kontents wasn't very familiar with his work and expressed an interest in learning the value of presentation. I felt Derren's take on the Russian Roulette was a great lesson in building tension and maintaining interest in an audience. Again, as a thank-you for coming out to session, I gave him two packs of Yigal Mesika's Loops to play around with the ideas we discussed during the session.

The session was pretty long; we met up at a local Italian restaurant for lunch and then came over to my place in Oceanside. We continued to session until like 5.30PM. It was a good six hours of talking about magic and mentalism and learning about how we got into it all. It was pretty enjoyable.

I wouldn't mind making it a regular occurence if other people are interested and can make it out. I know a few other magicians in the San Diego and LA areas, so if we all plan ahead, I'm sure we can make it a really productive time. All magicians of all experience are more than welcome. I'm trying to get a better feel for the west coast's magic community, and I'd love to meet as many people as I can.

RS.

PS. Kontents has an uncanny resemblance to Danny Garcia. Uncanny.

Last edited by a moderator:
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results