Some Awesomely Big Ideas

Sep 10, 2007
Hi. Obviously, this is about soem of the ideas I've thought up of for the magic world. I'm not sure if it matters, or if you really care, but I think these might actually be worth it. (Hold on, it's a long post) So, before I share them, I'm going to rant a bit. You can skip it if you want and go on. :)

No offense to anyone, but I've sort of noticed the monotony of magicians I see. I mean, if you really think about it, we all basically know most of the same material, we buy the same things, etc. I just think we should all create a bit more. (Sorry, Theory 11 dudes, I'm not trying to make you lose business...although I doubt that's possible)

At the same time, I'm sort of being a hypocrite, 'cause I seriously can't create magic. I've seriously tried before, and created a bit, but they are never all finished, and are kind of weird. (Like, for instance, this one impromptu effect I call, "Plastic Surgery" where you take a pen or something and stab a card, take it out, heal it, blah blah blah) Most of the problem is that I don't know enough material and basics to create anything. Plus, I have no inspiration.

So, (yes, I know this is long) I had some big ideas:

1. I think that maybe some group of magicians (possibly a high-class professional one) should create the ultimate guide on magic. I mean, I know that's almost impossible, but what I've found is that most magic DVD's and such have some of the same material as others, and I waste some of my money. (Any ideas for this one?)

2. Maybe one day, or a whole month, we could all vow to create a new effect during that time, and not buy/work on really anything else ('cept maybe the pass or something). This would really give us a chance to use our creative minds, and we would greatly expand the field of magic. We could start with a forum thread, or maybe a new section, devoted to the sharing of ideas and inspiration, with the senior members and the Theory 11 crew sharing some advice. Then, we'll all decide on a time to be inventing. Maybe we could have a contest, and the winners could win something or such. Maybe even sell their effect...?

3. I know that there's this whole 10 theories and theory 11 thing. But, do you think maybe we could all think, and come up with a new type of magic? I mean, I know it sounds impossible, but come on. When you saw magic for the first time, you thought it was impossible. This would also greatly expand our borders, and allow a lot of creativity.

Alright, so that's about it. Think up some more ideas! I'm curious to know. Thank you to those who tuned in through the long thing.

(HAHAHA, master of the rant/babble)
(By the way, I wanted to mention my thanks to Theory 11, and how they are really getting into the community. They actually post in the forums!)

Sep 1, 2007
Stigmata...Fraud...the Trilogy...Masters...Gaff Deck...I can't wait for the Ultragaff to come out!!!

Sound familiar?

I don't own any of these items, because I am the anti-follower of fashion; I tend to run the other way when I see a trend. Sometimes I lose out...sometimes, really not. You have some interesting ideas - a creativity forum with mentoring from some of the big guys upstairs would be a fascinating project.

The ultimate guide on magic? I think you've just gotta keep looking through the grand mass of existing publications until you find the little gems that sparkle just for you. Unfortunately, a lot of the younger magicians nowadays rather seem to be being led around by the nose instead of being set free to explore.

I guess new types of magic would have to defy new types of natural law. How the modern world works...getting inside people's technology would be an interesting one. I think we are more or less in an age of refinement; the foundations have been laid and it is up to us to build upon them.

Great to see you thinking outside the box! I feel a little less lonely out here now :)

I think we are more or less in an age of refinement; the foundations have been laid and it is up to us to build upon them.

wow.. that is so neat ! yeah i loved that part and i do believe this is what we ALSO have to do but the mavericks will continue to chart out newer territories. evolution is inevitable and its interesting to see what develops and how !

I agree that we are in an age of refinement a lot. I mean, look at Distortion! It's an old idea, come back from the dead. And of course, it miraculous. All trick seem to have been done before, just tweaked. You have to search through the masses of material out there and pick out what really gets you going. That's what helps define all of us.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results