Some questions

Jul 26, 2017
Hi everybody.
I'm from Croatia and I've been doing magic 4 years now and I registered on theory11 because I see that people are very friendly here and full of knowledge so I would like to ask some questions (not necessarily related).
1. Do some of you more experienced guys out there write stuff down? I mean like tricks, routines, moves etc. Because I find it hard for me to remember all the tricks I know and when I want to put routine together just from my head. So, any tips what and how should I write stuff down?
2. Do you read books from cover to cover or do you just find what you look for? Also what is the most efficient way to learn from books (or maybe dvds/videos)?
Thank you in advance for answers and thank you for being awesome!

Justin.Morris

Elite Member
Aug 31, 2007
Canada
www.morrismagic.ca
Hi everybody.
I'm from Croatia and I've been doing magic 4 years now and I registered on theory11 because I see that people are very friendly here and full of knowledge so I would like to ask some questions (not necessarily related).
1. Do some of you more experienced guys out there write stuff down? I mean like tricks, routines, moves etc. Because I find it hard for me to remember all the tricks I know and when I want to put routine together just from my head. So, any tips what and how should I write stuff down?
2. Do you read books from cover to cover or do you just find what you look for? Also what is the most efficient way to learn from books (or maybe dvds/videos)?
Thank you in advance for answers and thank you for being awesome!

Welcome to Theory11! This community is awesome. There are some swell knowledgeable guys here, as well as people at all stages of learning who have lots to offer from their own experience.

As far as how to keep track of your tricks, I would say that each magician I know does it differently. There was even one young guy here who made an app for it! (Though he never really updated it since he put it out there) Personally, now I keep notes on my phone note pad (Google Keep). It's super easy to search and find ideas I've had as well I always have it. I have three files I add to: Routine ideas, Concepts, and my shows. When I have a thought like "Oh, Elon Musk is making a hyperloop transportation system, that might make good patter for a teleportation/vanish/appearance effect" then I jot it down in my routine ideas file. Or I might think of some effects that would flow well together and jot it there as well. When I have a had an idea about how I could accomplish something, then I jot it under the concepts file etc.

I don't keep a master file of all the effects I've learned because for one, that list would be so large it would be hard to manage, and two, I've forgotten way more than I currently know, so looking back I would needs clear descriptions or references to remember. Which essentially makes the whole idea of a master list a bit moot when you have to go back to the books anyway. Your library is your master list! But really, what works for you will be your best choice - a notebook, your phone etc are going to be your best bet.

And for me I read books cover to cover the first time, but probably because I'm just a bit OCD. :p

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
Welcome!

If it is an original trick, idea, routine, even presentations, etc. I generally right it down because A) It helps me remember, and B) I can easily look at it and change it if I need to. I used to write everything down in a book, but I have started to simply put it on a word document and into my computer. Now that I think about, it is possible that I could lose it if my hard drive corrupts... I'm gonna go print out everything, Just to be safe.... hope I have enough ink & paper :D

As for books, I generally try and figure out how the book is set up. If every chapter uses previous knowledge from previous chapters and builds on it, I will read it cover to cover for the most part, skimming things I find unnecessary or super boring.

If it is a book like Revolutionary Card technique where most chapters are independent of the others, I will read the chapters cover to cover, but not necessarily read all the chapters in order. For example, I am probably going to skip the Faro Notes section and maybe even a majority of the False Deals to focus on the latter chapters before coming back to them. However, if something needs a ton of practice before doing anything in the chapter, I practice that while I skip the rest of the chapter, so I am learning new stuff while still practicing it. eg. I need to perfect the master grip and deal before I start false deals in Revolutionary Card Technique, so I am practicing that while I read through the rest of it.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
I have a lot of lists and a lot of notes. It really isn't that organized. Like @Justin.Morris I've forgotten a lot more stuff than I currently know and very much rely on my library for how to do effects. I do have the scripts I use for performance written out on my computer.

I read books a lot of different ways. Some books I will read cover to cover. Some books I will use as a reference and only read the parts that relate to the concept I'm researching. Some books I will just read, others I will take notes on.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I generally read books cover to cover, though I will skim over methods for anything I'm not actively working on. I'm more interested in the thinking behind the construction of routines, performance theory, and a performer's personal perspective on the piece/performing in general. Actually, I rarely read stuff for straight methods any more as I have more material at this point than could properly be performed in my lifetime I'm sure.

Regarding notes - I don't generally make notes about books or products as I'm learning them. What I generally do is read books and watch videos, and keep all that information as a kind of storehouse of knowledge in my head (And, obviously, able to reference in the books as well). Then when I sit down to write a show, I write out what I want to have happen and then fill in what routines would best suit the desired outcome. I then go find methods for those routines.

So I have books and such that I read, and then I have my notebooks which contain my own work.

I generally write a new show every year or so.

Jul 26, 2016
Great responses. Personally, I record myself doing my routines with my iPhone. That serves as a record and reminder, and has the added benefit of helping me improve because I can watch and analyze the strong and weak points.

Reactions: Maaz Hasan
Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
Great responses. Personally, I record myself doing my routines with my iPhone. That serves as a record and reminder, and has the added benefit of helping me improve because I can watch and analyze the strong and weak points.
Oh yeah definitely.

I use my laptop's webcam, that way I have a little mirror to look at, with the perspective being someone who is grilling my hands..

Reactions: Al e Cat Dabra
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results