Some Thoughts and Observations

Oct 31, 2007
I know I'm probably gonna get a lot of stupid comments about what I have to say. So if you read this and have the urge to say something that fuels some sort of debate about me being wrong, I want you to go through and read a bunch of forum posts and then comment cause you'll see exactly what I'm talking about no doubt.

I am sick and tired of people commenting on others people's forum threads and degrading them for no reason at all. If someone says something that is wrong just correct them. More than likely they weren't sure from the start. I'm sure they would feel a lot better to be corrected and led down the right path rather than have it shoved in their face that they were wrong about something.

Also, when people ask about things that have been posted before several times just answer them and get on with your lives. It probably takes more use of what brain power you have to tell them off than it does to just give them the answer. I can think of several times where I have had a question about something but didn't have time to search for it, or didn't think to do that. Luckily I've apparently never asked a stupid question cause I've never been belittled for wondering!

A good example of another point I want to make is "Dylan's Review: Regular Bicycles." First, Dylan that was an excellent review and thank you very much for taking the time to do that. It was very informational. Now for my point... Why are you people so critical of such stupid things. Seriously, you are going to argue about the differences between red and blue and whether or not they are opposites. Unless you are in a life or death situation and absolutely need to know the difference between red and blue on the color wheel, why would you bring that up? Stick to the material given, all anyone really cares about is finding out whether or not regular bikes are good enough to consider using, not all of the other ridiculously stupid stuff that was discussed on that forum.

I have been on this site for a very long time and at the start I was very excited about the forums. Everyone seemed so nice and helpful. As time went on I began seeing how things really are and how childish a lot of people are. Now it just turns me away everytime I read a new post because I can't escape the negativity. What message do you guys think this sends to beginning magicians who come to this site looking for support? If I was new to this I'd be rethinking my involvement in the magic community. If we keep up this negative attitude towards people on this site the magic community will never grow. I believe that is exactly the opposite goal that the artists at Theory 11 are trying to achieve. Just think about what I've said and read some threads, you'll see what I'm talking about and hopefully you'll agree with me, this needs to stop.

Thanks for listening... I'm off my soap box...

Orin

Last edited by a moderator:
May 14, 2008
I havnt been mistreated or disrespected but speaking from a beginners point of view..........i agree. Well said Orin10!

Aug 31, 2007
Long Island/New York
I know people get a little negative on the forums, but it's best to just avoid them.
Don't let them get you down.
I'd say that the issue would be better if it were stopped, but I'm not sure how your going to do that by singling out people(SteerPike).

If you do that, you'll only be feeding the fire. On a side note, it's against the rules.
If you got something to say to him, keep it on a pm.

Your intentions are good, but it could have been said better.

All in all, there's always gonna be "that guy" that has a bad day and posts negatively. There's no stopping it.
Your best bet is to just move on.
The world isn't perfect.

Agreed.....

I wholeheartedly agree.

A dog and a cat agree together?
Who knew?

Sep 1, 2007
Another thing... STEERPIKE I HOPE YOU READ THIS! Steerpike, you posted a thread a while back titled "The Worst Exposure of all Time?" Seriously?

Oh sure, pick at that old scar.

I already admitted that it was a bad joke delivered poorly and it spiralled out of my control. I was hoping to leave it in the past where it belongs and quietly move on with my life a little wiser.

Thanks for digging up a past embarrassment just so you can wave it in my face.

If you have anything further to say to me, you can do it in PM. I'm not going to have this conversation with you in public.

Dec 17, 2007
Canada
I know people get a little negative on the forums, but it's best to just avoid them.
Don't let them get you down.
I'd say that the issue would be better if it were stopped, but I'm not sure how your going to do that by singling out people(SteerPike).

If you do that, you'll only be feeding the fire. On a side note, it's against the rules.
If you got something to say to him, keep it on a pm.

Your intentions are good, but it could have been said better.

All in all, there's always gonna be "that guy" that has a bad day and posts negatively. There's no stopping it.
Your best bet is to just move on.
The world isn't perfect.

A dog and a cat agree together?
Who knew?

What do you mean a dog and cat agree together ???

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
I've said it before and I'll gladly say it again- you're mistaken. If they're not tough enough to handle the truth, or even something that's wrong but said harshly over the internet, they've got problems we can't help them with. It's a forum, guys! If people are harsh, so what? It's called life!

As for the new magicians, if they're discouraged by people over the internet, let's set 'em back 300 years when they had to go out and find a mentor willing to teach them in this art, and then learn at the mentor's speed, not their own. Tell me, which way sounds easier? I think you need to stop complaining. I mean sure, it's great when people are nice, but it's not always going to be that way, and you're going to have to realize that one way or another.

Sep 1, 2007
Why are you people so critical of such stupid things. Seriously, you are going to argue about the differences between red and blue and whether or not they are opposites. Unless you are in a life or death situation and absolutely need to know the difference between red and blue on the color wheel, why would you bring that up?

Because it's funny. Also, it should be "informative," not "informational."

Whoo hoo hoo!

Nov 30, 2007
I totally agree with this thread. But honestly, your comment about steerpike is just as bad. Listen to what steerpike said. He said I already apologized. That comment was not at all needed and ruined this entire thread to tell you the truth. Don't bash other people if you are talking about ending it yourself.

Oct 31, 2007
I totally agree with this thread. But honestly, your comment about steerpike is just as bad. Listen to what steerpike said. He said I already apologized. That comment was not at all needed and ruined this entire thread to tell you the truth. Don't bash other people if you are talking about ending it yourself.

Yeah, in the heat of the moment I really didn't think about names and such. Sorry bout that thanks for being a voice of reason.
I'll remove that part of the thread.

Orin

Last edited by a moderator:
Dec 15, 2007
Hawaii
Your right man..That is why i never say anything negative or say..hhmm, maybe this would be better if u did do the routine smooth enough this way (even tho it would fool a layman). But if thats how our magic community is gonna be, helping magicians is out of the question. your better off stealing someone else act. I have been waiting for someone to puts this type of post up. Too many people here think that they know more about magic...if they know it so well, why dont they go and make a better performance and show those people up. If you can perform it better than some people and can show it, i would have more respect and my ears would be listening to what they have to say. But enough rambling...enjoy magic for the art that it is, not for something you have to figure out, nobodys perfect. good post by the way!

Dec 17, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
I've said it before and I'll gladly say it again- you're mistaken. If they're not tough enough to handle the truth, or even something that's wrong but said harshly over the internet, they've got problems we can't help them with. It's a forum, guys! If people are harsh, so what? It's called life!

As for the new magicians, if they're discouraged by people over the internet, let's set 'em back 300 years when they had to go out and find a mentor willing to teach them in this art, and then learn at the mentor's speed, not their own. Tell me, which way sounds easier? I think you need to stop complaining. I mean sure, it's great when people are nice, but it's not always going to be that way, and you're going to have to realize that one way or another.

Yep, people need to be a bit more realistic.

Half of the posts that I'm "negative" to are the ones that say "I know this has been brought up, but.." or "I couldn't be bothered searching."

If you are full aware that it has been brought up and you still decide to start a thread for whatever reason (I've known people that think they're cool for starting threads) then you have to be prepared to take a few comments that you may find not-so-nice.

Same with the "I couldn't be bothered searching" crap that I see. You couldn't be bothered doing a search (which doesn't take that long) but yet you created a thread? Do you have any idea how stupid that sounds?

Personally, I find these "spread the love" threads of equal uselessness because they don't get people anywhere. There have been a number of preaching threads such as this that have resulted in even more arguing. Kinda defeats the purpose, ey?

So really, if you can't handle "negativity" then simply:

a) Don't do something to warrant the negative posts.
b) Deal with it.

It's not that hard.

Oct 6, 2007
Agreed!

With adjones.

It's the f***ing internet! Who really CARES about what people that have never seen you/probably nver will say about you?! Move on!
People can say whatever they want on the net, virtually nothing is stopping them!

Im not saying that it's right to be mean etc. and of course a welcoming environment on a magic forum is great and all, but get real!

There's always going to be people who ask/write really stupid things, or just type with no grammar, punctuation or just basic english skill!

It really pisses me off when I see someone writing like crap, and it says they're from an ENGLISH speaking country, i.e. UK/US< Don't get me wrong, i'm not being racist, nor am I trying to be...I'm just saying that at least some basic english skill would be good?

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results