Specific Mentalism Trick... Anyone Heard of It?

Mar 17, 2009
Hey Guys!!

Ok so, i was watching the first season of The Mentalist the other day (its pretty cool!!) and there this particular trick that he did. It seemed like a cool little quick trick that would get a laugh and a smile so i was wondering if any of you had heard of it?? Or if its just a creation for TV land??

Basically, he asked the spectator to imagine a white board between the two of them and then imagine a shape on the board. He then asked her to imagine another shape around the first shape. He then guessed both shapes correctly.
Is this a real trick? Im guessing it would be some sort of psychological force kinda thing? Like, how if you rush someone into picking a number between 1 and 10 70% of people will pick 7 kinda thing. Your thought and comments would be much appreciated.

Also, im new to the forums, so look foward to corresponding with you guys in the future!!

All the best

Tommy

Dec 4, 2008
I do not believe there is any in the 13 steps to mentalism. If there are, there is only a couple. I can tell you that Psychological Subtleties is basically nothing but different psychological forces. That is the best resource I have found for psychological forces.

Mar 17, 2009
Haha, indeed it was!!! Do you know the trick? Or are you also an avid follower of Patrick Janes adventures? I just thought it would be a cool little piece to perform to get a smile or two. Thank you for the advice football, i'll look into that.

Dec 4, 2008
One of the first few episodes showed Patrick Jane using muscle reading. I don't know how interested you are in that, but the best resource I have found for that is Psychophysiological Thought Reading by Banachek. You may remember the one person hid the keys to the van, and he successfully found them. That can be done using muscle reading.

Mar 17, 2009
Yes i did see that!! I must admit i have always had a passing interest in this, ever since i heard Derren Brown telling a story about it at one point. I never really looked into it though until i saw that the other day on The Mentalist. Haha, i do love that program! He's a legend!!Muscle reading certainly seems very interesting though. Have you had any experience with it? Thanks for the recommendation, i'll check it out. I also heard there was a section on muscle reading in Banacheks psi series?? Volume 3 i think?

Dec 4, 2008
I am a beginner at muscle reading, but I know the basics of it. I practice it when I can. The book teaches you how to practice it during performances so that even if you mess up muscle reading, you can succeed in the overall effect. It is a hard skill to acquire, but it is the closest thing to real mindreading that you can get. Also I did for get to mention about psychological Subtleties II. That is also a great book that is a compilation of routines that use the psychological forces in Psychological Subtleties and also additional psychological forces.

May 12, 2009
To the OP.
Yes it is an actual effect. Honestly, I can not remember where I've seen it published before. I do know that I've studied something quite similar in one of my psychology classes. And it kind of falls under the NLP category.
I've actually incorporated this in to one of my routines. I think it works great. For me it has worked 99.99% of the time.
The one fail was with my girlfriend. It was the first effect that I've shown her and she got too eager to participate that she lost focus to what I was saying.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results