Spectators feeling comfortable

Sep 1, 2010
I was wondering...how do you approach people and make them feel comfortable around you?
This was something I thought about recently. When you think about it, you're going up to a group of strangers uninvited into their group asking to do magic (table hopping or party setting). They may want to see magic however they might feel uncomfortable and in somewhat cringe worthy.

what are some ways to gain rapport and create a positive relaxing atmosphere amoungst the group in a quick manner?

cheers :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 26, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
I do not open with "Hello, my name is... and I am a magician, bla bla..."

Depending on the setting of course, I might open with, "good evening, how is everyone doing tonight? Are you having a nice time? Well, actually, my name is ... and I have been invited here tonight to help entertain the lovely guests! If you wouldn't mind, I would love to start off by showing you something a bit peculiar... but don't worry, no one is going to be arrested." And then I do a one coin routine production.

Sep 1, 2010
that's pretty good thanks! however im looking for something even more comfortable. but thanks for telling me about not what to say :) that helped!

Jun 1, 2009
Don't introduce yourself as a magician, as tokyo said. Just talk to them, see how they are doing, and approach in a non threatening way. If you are at a party, tell them the host has hired you to entertain them after you've gotten acquainted with them a little.

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
People are always gonna be uncomfortable if they don't know who you are, or if they didn't requested you to approach their table. Don't be in peoples face at the very beginning, keep your distance until they get comfortable. Open up with a joke. Humor relaxes people and makes them comfortable around you.
I work on a cruise ship, but you can apply this to any restaurant you want. This is what I say: "Good evening, how's the cruise going so far?" *they answer* "Well, how about we make it better? How about we make it UNBELIEVABLE? My name is ..... and I'm a magician on board, so I came here to BLOW YOUR MINDS.... RIGHT OUT". I emphasize the words in capital letters.

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
Don't introduce yourself as a magician, as tokyo said. Just talk to them, see how they are doing, and approach in a non threatening way. If you are at a party, tell them the host has hired you to entertain them after you've gotten acquainted with them a little.

I slightly disagree. They will feel uncomfortable until they know exactly who you are and what do you want. Keeping your identity hidden for long will just make them feel uncomfortable for longer, which is not what we are trying to do.

Jun 1, 2009
I'm not saying strike up a conversation with them before introducing yourself haha. I see what you're saying though. I also do balloon animals for the restaurant where I work, I open by saying "Hey guys, you all doing good? Awesome! Well my name is Jacob, and I make balloon animals for the kids... or adults, if you wan't one feel free to ask." I make them feel welcome, and I get a joke in (like you said) to put them at ease. More often than not, if I make them laugh, I won the "battle" so to speak.

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
I'm not saying strike up a conversation with them before introducing yourself haha. I see what you're saying though. I also do balloon animals for the restaurant where I work, I open by saying "Hey guys, you all doing good? Awesome! Well my name is Jacob, and I make balloon animals for the kids... or adults, if you wan't one feel free to ask." I make them feel welcome, and I get a joke in (like you said) to put them at ease. More often than not, if I make them laugh, I won the "battle" so to speak.
Perfect. Exactly what we are supposed to do.
One more thing I LOVE to do is find a table that is already having fun, so they will accept you and your magic more easily. Then blow their minds, make them scream and laugh and make a lot of noise. Before you know it, EVERY other table in the place is gonna be requesting for you, so you will not need an introduction at all from that point on.

Jun 1, 2009
Perfect. Exactly what we are supposed to do.
One more thing I LOVE to do is find a table that is already having fun, so they will accept you and your magic more easily. Then blow their minds, make them scream and laugh and make a lot of noise. Before you know it, EVERY other table in the place is gonna be requesting for you, so you will not need an introduction at all from that point on.

I love that too, when people just freak out and others see you at that table, they've done all the marketing for you. It's great!

Sep 26, 2007
Tokyo, Japan
Remember that depending on the setting and how intimate it is... usually only the first table is the hardest to approach. If things go well at the first table or first group (depending on venue), then the one you go to next will already be anticipating your arrival!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results