Speech on Magic...

Sep 1, 2007
on Theory11.
Hey guys,
I've got to do an informative speech next week and I have no idea what I'm gonna talk about. My professor says to talk about something you are really interested in or something you have a passion for and have no problem giving a five minute speech about.

Yeah, magic did come to mind...

For those of you who are thinking, "Informative Speech+Magic=Exposure..."
Don't worry- I'm not an idiot. I'll keep all my secrets.

I thought I'd give a brief history of magic and talk about how it's becoming more popular recently and is being recognized as an art rather than a novelty. With a little research, that'll make five minutes easy. I might perform a little along the way. By the way- I can also use a short video clip as a visual. What do you guys think?

Sep 1, 2007
Belgrade, Serbia
Not a bad idea at all, hope it goes well.
If you want information about history of playing card's, read intro of Giobbi's Card Colege...

Nov 30, 2007
Midlands, England
Sounds great - 5 minutes should be easy enough to fill up. I love the idea of you talking about magic as an art and not a novelty. I think that's what people think of magic nowadays - something performed at children's parties.

Even performing a trick yourself would be good. Witness would be the perfect trick for a class, if you know it.

:)

P.S. "The Art of Sleight of Hand" by Nicholas Einhorn has brief histories (3 or 4 pages each) about the different types of magic - card magic, mentalism, etc.

Sep 1, 2007
on Theory11.
Sounds great - 5 minutes should be easy enough to fill up. I love the idea of you talking about magic as an art and not a novelty. I think that's what people think of magic nowadays - something performed at children's parties.

Even performing a trick yourself would be good. Witness would be the perfect trick for a class, if you know it.

:)

P.S. "The Art of Sleight of Hand" by Nicholas Einhorn has brief histories (3 or 4 pages each) about the different types of magic - card magic, mentalism, etc.

Dang, I don't know Witness. I was thinking of opening with a trick and then goin from there. I do mostly card stuff-
Ambitious Card
Card to Mouth (I know people will catch the hand-to-mouth move, but it's fun- kinda like the paper towel trick here)
My own Sandwich Trick (based on Danny Garcia's White or Wheat)
Oh, and I almost forgot...
Invisible Deck

Nov 30, 2007
Thats cool. Yeah you should do that and tell about the history of magic, magicians, cards, etc.

JSN

Jan 31, 2008
I actually did a speech on magic for my speech class in college. I first told a story about how I got into magic. Then I spoke about some great magicians and some history on magic. Later I spoke about the different kinds of magic there is and also performed one of each. The invisible deck got good reactions, the girl who volunteered to assist me freaked out!
Hope your speech on magic turns out good!

just an idea, i reccomend doing the invisible palm with "exposing" the palm in the 3rd stage or something. Your not exposing they already know about a palm. Also i Bought a book about the history of magic. very interesting stuff. things i never knew about.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results