Spirit locks

Mar 2, 2008
or locks that pop open with just touching them with a pin.

Anyone know if/how to make them?

Or where to buy them.

Is there a book somewhere?

Dec 14, 2007
The Spirit Lock was first performed by Charles Bertram. His lock passed down through several hands, including Karl Germain and George Kirkendall. Information can be found in the Bertram autobiography as well as the Germain books, first released by Cramer and then in a lovely, expanded form by Todd Karr. A small monograph was produced on the lock and given to attendees of the LA conference on Magic History.

There have been several on the market. The most sought after was made by Martin. Expect to pay at least $7,000 for one - and that's a bargain price. Owens makes the Palladian lock. It is not cheap, either.

I have three. I have the Owen lock which performs two effects, I have one put out by John Cannon of Cannon escapes and I have another that most closely replicated the method of the original, but was not nearly as substantial.

Owen's or Cannon's are your best bet. Expect to spend around $600 for any model.

Now, if you are looking for a lock that you can simulate picking by simply using a pin to trigger its release, then you need to contact Cannon's escapes. They will have those.

Good luck in your search.

Brad Henderson

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results