Sponge Balls?

Nov 27, 2015
I'm considering buying some spongeballs, just wanted to see if anyone has any recommendations for products/ sleights? I know for sure that I need a purse frame.
Thanks

Tower of Lunatic Meat

Elite Member
Sep 27, 2014
Texa$, with a dollar sign
I'm considering buying some spongeballs, just wanted to see if anyone has any recommendations for products/ sleights? I know for sure that I need a purse frame.
Thanks

Goshman is probably some of the best sponge stuff you can find. That and Tenyo.

I have 'Mark Wilsons: Complete Course in Magic', and that has some great sponge material in there.

I also have 'Ray Kosby's: Impossible Close Up Magic' that has a fantastic sponge routine using a Goshman '4'.
But I will warn, Ray Kosby teaches very crazy advanced stuff, even though '1, 2, 3, 4' is one of the easier sleights in the DVD--which isn't saying much, it's a very involved routine.

But I think MOST sponge material is not TOO difficult from what I have read and interpreted, but it's a 'archetype' that doesn't stand well with a stock performance; it's exponentially enhanced with ones creativity. With that, there a vast array of sponge animals and shapes out there that can assist you in your journey.

I hope this helps in some capacity, and I wish you luck!

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Mark Wilson's Complete Course is the first resource to use (but please don't point at the hand that is supposed to have the ball). Goshman sponges are the gold standard, I used another brand once and the dye got all over my hands and my sheepdog puppet (luckily the both my hands and the puppet were able to be cleaned). You can also adapt sleights from Bobo's Modern Coin Magic (I have a color changing sponge routine which uses a sponge version of the Bobo Switch).

Good videos include:

Spongeball Toolkit (which comes with a purse frame and other props and gimmicks)

Encyclopedia of Sponge Ball Magic (which is good, but some of his instruction isn't exactly the same as the methods in the original book).

I think the best resource if Frank Garcia's Encyclopedia of Sponge Ball Magic book, which unfortunately is out of print but can be found from time to time for $80 to $150 on Amazon, the Magic Cafe or E-Bay.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results