Stacking under surveillance

Jan 31, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
So your performing trick for an audience and your deck is shuffled, the next effect you'd like to perform, even worse... are requested to perform, requires lets say... a 10 card stack at the top. How would you stack the deck? Would you brush off the request? Would you offer to do something better?

Any thoughts?

Nov 26, 2008
i have two decks on me most of the time. One is for impromptu, that starts with the 2 card monte or can be easily changed to Deja Vu (is this considered a reveal?). The other I have set up for a routine that Gergory Willson used in pyrotechnic pasteboards that requires the deck to be stacked just right...

I just do some misdirection and a deck switch. I normally preform with a deck box on the table that has cards in it the entire time. The spectators think it's the box for the cards I am using. I'll end my trick I'm doing then place the deck I'm holding back into my pocket naturally without drawing alot of attention to where I am putting it.(generally my hoodie pocket since it's easier to remove). Five minutes or so down the road if they ask for another trick I'll have the option of opening the card box or pulling out my cards I was just using.

If they ask directly after you did a trick make a quick excuse like: "My hands get sweaty when I do tricks, it's alot of pressure having alot of people stare at you." or since I normally preform at lunch time or at dinners for family I say something like : "I haven't had much time to eat, Let me eat a little bit before i do another.". This is purely for time so they forget where you put your deck of cards so they won't be suspicious of you pulling the cards out of the pack on the table.

Bleh, not a bad idea for someone who has been in magic for three months :]

Jan 31, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
No it's not bad at all actually, I made a post about deck switches recently and this was the kind of reply I was looking for and got nada.

Good method, not as obvious as putting the deck in the box in your pocket and coming out with a new box later.

Nov 26, 2008
if you can gambler's cop you can do my method for moving cards around the deck.

I have two decks with me at all times. One in each hoodie pocket. Both are set up for a trick. One of my decks has an intense set up that i can't do infront of people. The other has the 2CM set up and is my impromptu deck. When I start to preform I take out my impromtu deck and place the set up deck on the table. In front of the deck box that is currently in my pocket i have a set up on top and on bottom of it. These can be copped at anytime to the top of my deck for the next set up. My other pocket has another set up.

Bam five set ups that are ready. Left pocket: (from "top" to "bottom") set up 1, deck box [containing a deck with a set up], set up 3. Right pocket: Set up 4 and a deck box with a set up. Five total.

I hope I helped :]

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
I use the Gambler's Cop, as well. In fact, today I copped out an 8 card stack from the top, had the spectator shuffle, replaced the cards, and was ready to go. Works awesome.

Nov 26, 2008
I use the Gambler's Cop, as well. In fact, today I copped out an 8 card stack from the top, had the spectator shuffle, replaced the cards, and was ready to go. Works awesome.

Plus i like to do this little line: "Oh! Thanks! You shuffled right to my Aces!" Then i preform real time. The person that just shuffled is totally dumbstruck

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
Plus i like to do this little line: "Oh! Thanks! You shuffled right to my Aces!" Then i preform real time. The person that just shuffled is totally dumbstruck

I don't usually do that, as I like to keep my stacks and stuff to myself, but I do like the line, "That was a great shuffle! You actually put a nice little bend in there that I didn't have before." Said sarcastically, obviously.

Jan 31, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
I personally perform a trick from card college called step by step revelation which can stack any face down set up on top of the deck, but that can only fly once.

How many cards do you feel is the limit you could remove from a deck without a spectator noticing when they shuffle?

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
How many cards do you feel is the limit you could remove from a deck without a spectator noticing when they shuffle?

I could probably get away with 10 or so, simply because they're not used to the standard thickness of a deck. Whereas if there's just one or two cards missing in a deck, most magicians will notice right away. I got away with 8 today, so I don't think 10 would be a problem. And I always give 'em crap about their shuffling skills while they're doing it (again, sarcastically), so none of the attention is really on the cards, but more on the person shuffling the cards.

Nov 26, 2008
Aaaand...? lololol at the spectator? Or do you play it off as a tongue in cheek joke for everyone to laugh along with. Rather than a "lololol gotcha!".

- Sean

I think it's a joke. The person normally laughs. It's not suppose to be mean in any way or a "hey look what i can do!" moment. Cause if it was the latter of the two it turns from magic to spectators vs. magicians.

May 13, 2008
St Albans, UK
Do a simple card selection and peek the card. Let them shuffle. Take the deck back and spread it to yourself, secretly finding the right cards and upjogging them. Place them all on top (or wherever) and build up a dramatic climax by say...naming different attributes of their selection (colour, suit, value). Reveal their card with a dl.

Simple trick BUT it gets a reaction, the spectator remembers that HE/SHE shuffled the deck, noone should suspect a stack.

Sep 1, 2007
Leicester, UK
www.youtube.com
I think it's a joke. The person normally laughs. It's not suppose to be mean in any way or a "hey look what i can do!" moment. Cause if it was the latter of the two it turns from magic to spectators vs. magicians.

That's cool :) It was just the way you said they end up "dumbstruck" which is only a small part of it and shouldn't be the ultimate goal of your magic (in my opinion). If everyone laughs together, good times :)

- Sean

Aug 24, 2008
Greece
i simply keep them entertained with patter as i stack the deck. the easiest way to do it is (in my opinion) :just spread the deck (tilted a liitle bit so they cannot see everything but not too much as u will call attention to it) and upjogg the cards u need in the order u need them, take them out place them on top. T this point i like to do a couple of false shuffles or cop the cards.With practice you will be able to do this very fast. I also use a Jay Sankey line at times :: as i bring the deck in front of my eyes "let me see,we are gonna use...this one ....this one and......" i bring the cards i need on top and then say " what am i doing u should be selecting the cards " or sth like this .Do a couple of false shuffles and let them select a card

By the way do you use the deep cop or the standard cop?

Peace
George

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results