Stage comedy mentalism effects?

Sep 1, 2007
Cornwall
Im used to doing close up, have done a few stage things at comedy clubs in Eastern Ontario, I have a big paid gig coming up at the end of December...my act is missing a mentalism effect...any ideas? something that works, easy to do, minimum setup, and can be adapted to suit a comedic feel.

Sep 1, 2007
Im used to doing close up, have done a few stage things at comedy clubs in Eastern Ontario, I have a big paid gig coming up at the end of December...my act is missing a mentalism effect...any ideas? something that works, easy to do, minimum setup, and can be adapted to suit a comedic feel.

Why do you think you need mentalism? Why did you book the show before the act was complete?

Sep 1, 2007
Cornwall
Well if it isnt my old friend.

My show is complete, but looking at it I want/could use something a little different, perhaps one serious/semi serious trick.

This is for me only, I highly doubt the audience will care/notice

Sep 1, 2007
Well if it isnt my old friend.

Hell to you too sunshine. Nice to see you still have that chip on your shoulder.

This is for me only, I highly doubt the audience will care/notice

Then don't put it in the show. Do what the audience can actually give a rat's ass about. Stop indulging yourself on stage and do what you're paid to do.

Pete Pridanonda

Elite Member
Jun 13, 2009
Here are some good comedy mentalism routine that works very well on stage:
Bill Malone's Baby Gag
Rune Klan's Beard Book
Devin Knight Deluxe Baby Gag
Unshop by Devin Knight
These are mentalism with a little bit of comedy touches to it, but if you're looking to perform serious mentalism magic, then these effects are not a good idea.

Feb 4, 2008
John Archer's "Blank Night" would be a good option. It is an instant download so you could start learning it today. I would guess you will need a day or two to prepare the gimmick(meaning you may need to go to a store and find a few items not meaning that it takes a day to make the gimmick). Then you will need a week or so to practice the basic routine. You will probably need a week on top of that to rehearse all the different options and what kind of funny lines you may want to deliver for each outcome. So all told, I think a reasonably competent performer could add it to a show within three weeks of purchase. Mostly it is learning the script so you can deliver it in an entertaining engaging way. So it depends on how good you are with learning and delivering scripting, and writing your own if you choose to go that rout.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Big careful when you saying you are putting in something a bit "different' and make sure it flows well with your other effects. I can honestly say I regret doing a similar thing for a stage show. I decided I wanted something a little more serious and it did not fit my other routines or character and it just made for a bad fit. In hind sight I should have stuck with my funny bits and effects I normally perform.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results