Stage magic trick?

Apr 11, 2013
There is going to be a talent show in my school and I have six months to get ready,
But I don't know any stage tricks, other than a backpalm, (if you can count that)
I want to get floating rose by James Randi, but that's all I have, is there a good trick that requires six month of prep time and gets good reactions?
Thanks.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
What do you already know? What is your performance character and style? What resources do you already have?

Props, though, for asking this question with 6 months instead of how most people do it.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
For starters, the Floating Rose is a Kevin James effect if you're thinking of the one that starts off with a paper rose, etc. Secondly, it takes a good six months just to learn the basic handling to the point of being ready to do it for a real audience. . . my step son tried learning it and it was a serious challenge for him.

Secondly, 6 months really isn't sufficient time to learn anything "complicated" or overly technical. I'd suggest that you look at material akin to the Anderson Newspaper Tear (patter and all) or go the comedy route (which is probably better if this is your first stage spot) with bits like Paper Balls Over the Shoulder or a good rope routine that's both, funny and elegant (see Daryl's routine).

If you had the resources and people to help you I would gladly assist you with putting together an inexpensive illusion sequence. . . and would even suggest that you think that way and look at doing something akin to the Haunted House variation to the Arabian Tent Mystery outlined in the Mark Wilson Course; it's short, sweet and offers a double-exchange kicker they won't be expecting. BUT, it requires a lot of practice and split second timing to pull off cleanly.

Apr 11, 2013
On the stage I do not want to talk that much, and use no talking if possible
I have dramatic background so I can fit any kind of trick into a routine
I am mostly close up guy so I do not have anything stage worthy
And I think I can spend about 50-80 bucks in this routine

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
On the stage I do not want to talk that much, and use no talking if possible
I have dramatic background so I can fit any kind of trick into a routine
I am mostly close up guy so I do not have anything stage worthy
And I think I can spend about 50-80 bucks in this routine

I see.

So you have no resources and you have an $80 max budget and six months.

Get Mark Wilsons and do something from that. It's $25 from your budget but I'm pretty sure you can get cheaper materials - I'd also recommend the one Craig said. I think it could be made inexpensively.

Nov 9, 2013
I like the Vanishing Bandana for stage because you know exactly how long it will take you to perform it and also because it has built in humor.

Apr 11, 2013
I am looking into a rope routine and Arabian tent mystery right now,
I think that i will put newspaper tear,
There is this one trick I am interested called zydecomb it is in Bizzaro's penguin lecture
And maybe a humming card routine.
That's all I have so far, feel free to suggest me more.

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
I am looking into a rope routine and Arabian tent mystery right now,
I think that i will put newspaper tear,
There is this one trick I am interested called zydecomb it is in Bizzaro's penguin lecture
And maybe a humming card routine.
That's all I have so far, feel free to suggest me more.

The audition for a talent show you rarely get much more than 2 minutes, so rethink your list.

For an act you can't just toss a pile of tricks out there; it must hold some form of constant. Go to youtube and check out videos of the classic silent acts like Lance Burton's Dove act, Richard Ross & the Rings, etc. study how they segue' between effects as well as how, for an example, a dove worker moves into card manipulation and then reprises with birds so as to keep the "act" fluid and consistent; it's a dance!

This is why you should never get involved with a gig UNLESS YOU HAVE AN EXISTING ACT! Never sign up to compete. Never agree to do a show until you are actually ready and have a product that can be demonstrated; something practiced, choreographed and that you can do in your sleep.

You're young and inexperienced which is why you're making (in your mind at least) certain typical mistakes, such as "Trick Salad" (tossing a bunch of non-related effects together). . . especially if you are doing so "dramatically" (which is far more difficult than you might want to believe) and silent. As I said, comedy is easier and more forgiving when it comes to the nerves you're going to have and being able to deliver a solid performance; allow it to get your comfortable with being in front of the public doing something "new". Remember that you have 15 - 30 seconds to capture the audience's attention and get them to invest in you as an amusement; do any of these effects lend to you that potential? If not, what can you do to change that situation?

As you can see, there's a lot more that must be weighed than "what tricks can I do?" There's the matter of what effects will look best for you.

Though it's a bit outside your budget I'd suggest you buy a set of Fakini Billiard Balls and concentrate on learning a solid manipulation act using them and some silks. It's classic magic, you do not need to speak and can be done in a very formal style of presentation. Most importantly, it flows. Yes, the balls will cost you about $100.00 + a few silks and special gimmicks . . . figure at least $200.00 to $300.00 for a decent act + an appropriate outfit (Tux & tails if you're doing formal magic). I wouldn't suggest Linking Rings though there are routines you could get the basics down on (if you started next week learning them) but we're talking about an act that takes seasoned pros YEARS to get down pat.

Do you see what I'm driving at? If you want to be an "artist" with the more dramatic feel on things it takes time and it takes money; magic isn't for the poor and by that I mean financially as well as the ill-focused. So this brings us back to the Mark Wilson book and learning to develop a solid but simple sequence -- An "Act".

Apr 11, 2013
I saw billiard ball, and I liked it. Looked like something I could do for a while, but it does not look like something that I can do in six months, unless it is easier than it looks ( I am pretty sure it is much harder than it looks.)
I can probably stretch my budget to $100 and I already have formal dress so it is fine, and I could use that again and again. But I just want something that i can do within six months.

And while I would like to talk, this talent show is in a place where the audience don't need to pay attention and there are lots of noises so I am afraid my patter will drown.

Sorry if I am asking too much for six months, but I want to do something.

Apr 24, 2014
I don't know if it would fit your style or your character but u previously mentioned about being quiet silent and dramatic music so I suggest you check out 'floating ball by luis de matos'. It might not fit your style though

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
I don't know if it would fit your style or your character but u previously mentioned about being quiet silent and dramatic music so I suggest you check out 'floating ball by luis de matos'. It might not fit your style though

Most floating effects require stage wings and an assistant but you could look at the Zombie, it's easy enough to make one for yourself using a large (over sized) Christmas ornament (Ball) and a stiff coat-hanger.

TRIVIA POINT FOR EVERYONE: What was the original Zombie made from. . . how did it Joe Karson get inspired?

Apr 24, 2014
Most floating effects require stage wings and an assistant but you could look at the Zombie, it's easy enough to make one for yourself using a large (over sized) Christmas ornament (Ball) and a stiff coat-hanger.

TRIVIA POINT FOR EVERYONE: What was the original Zombie made from. . . how did it Joe Karson get inspired?

I know that most use assistants and stage wings but it says in the description that it is one-man operation so it does not use asistants

Colin

Elite Member
Jan 25, 2013
De matos's Floating ball is about $1100 over the original posters budget, so yes it can be done by a single person but is too expensive in this case.

Zombie is a great effect to learn and I would also recommend picking up a copy of The Naked Zombie which teaches moves that can be done with out the use of silk. It is all about movement so if you have someone with a dance background that can help you choreograph your routine enlist their help.

Craig I think it was based on a floating match trick but not sure what he built the prototype from. I've seen a soup ladle used pretty effectively in the right hands though.

Jun 9, 2014
You know there is always the old rabbit in hat trick. And you could look for a magic kit that comes with like rings to break apart. Or Three card Monty maybe. That one might Not work. But watch other stage performances and then see what tricks they performed and try to replecat them. Hope this helped!!

Dec 18, 2007
Northampton, MA - USA
Joe Karson, the man that introduced the Zombie effect what a plumber. He discovered how to do the effect one day while repairing a toilet. . . think about it. . . open up the water closet of your toilet and look at what's inside that resembles a possible floating ball.

The Zombie is 100% self-contained and incorporates a series of simple controls.

[video]http://youtu.be/UTYYgYogo24[/video]

A similar effect that is totally self-contained is the Astro Sphere popularized by Charlotte Penndragon

[video]http://youtu.be/IVRFvuzep5w[/video]

I've worked both, but then I used to do a very elaborate floating ball routine with multiple gimmicks. . . not advised. ;-)

Finn Jon is a master at thread work, his version of the one man floating ball is awesome and I do believe there is a manuscript available that describes it (or video). I highly recommend it as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results