Stage Magic without any special gimmicks or apparatus

Mar 7, 2016
Can anybody suggest some tricks for stage routine without any gimmicks? Of any category?

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
I would like to rephrase, I came off as a complete a-hole earlier, but I was just kinda pissed off at something. My apologies:

Mentalism is a great way to convey an audience, no matter how big. A simple prediction effect can be developed into a full 10 or even more minute routine. "Mind reading" is also great. If broken down, these effects are usually very simple, allowing you to come up with a huge story, and personalize the trick fully. And the amount of tools required, or lack there of, make it perfect for any scenario - up close or on stage.

Card magic is also going to be great, but to do this, you will need a way for everyone in the audience to see, so it may not be perfect for a large venue. In a medium sized venue, super visual card magic may still be hard to see, but demonstrations based on major sleight of hand and gambling demonstrations , such as Cutting the Aces by Marlo, will be very good, because the whole audience can see the effect (because you wouldn't see the method up close either).

Unless you have a projector, or a large screen, coin magic will be very hard with normal sized coins.

Reactions: Raghav

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Sorry, but anyone who's asking this question is not prepared to do a proper mentalism show.

You can absolutely do a full show with next to nothing if you've studied the right material. Q&A, hypnotism, muscle reading - all of this can be done without gimmicks and can largely be done without props at all. But it requires a particular set of skills - and if someone has those skills, they won't be asking this question.

So, David's questions are essential, and I'll add one more: What have you studied thus far?

Mar 7, 2016
Can you give us some more information? Where are you performing? Who are you performing for? How big is the venue and how big is the audience?
Own University small stage with some students in their youth.
What have you studied thus far?
Know some rubberband tricks, card prediction tricks, self working card tricks, coin matrix and I don't know what visual magic combined with mentalism or etc. would be suitable for stage. I don't know Q and A or hypnotism.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Am I correct in thinking you've mostly been learning through YouTube and/or single-trick downloads?

Mar 7, 2016
Am I correct in thinking you've mostly been learning through YouTube and/or single-trick downloads?
No, apart from that have seen some lectures, a live stage show of mentalism but will not repeat that which I saw. Do you know what a good beginner Q and A routine would be for stage?

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Q&A isn't a basic thing. It's really a combination of several foundation skills put together in such a way that it appears that the performer can read minds. However, if you're willing to put the work into developing that act, you can't go wrong with Bob Cassidy: http://www.penguinmagic.com/p/7755

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results