Stage magic

C J

Nov 29, 2017
I want to start learning some stage magic as well as how yo build a character. What are some good places to start?

Reactions: Gabriel Z.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
For stage magic, good old fashion Mark Wilson's Complete Course. It has plans for simple illusions that will get you started, and then you can build up from there if you are still interested.

For character .. well, I'd be remiss if I didn't plug my own resource, which is in my signature.

Reactions: C J

Gabriel Z.

Elite Member
Apr 26, 2013
NY
www.youtube.com
In front of the mirror....:D . All joking aside I would read as much as possible and practice and grow into your own character. Try to take from as many of the old timers and new comers of magic blend and mix and all that good stuff.

Reactions: C J

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
I think, with the exception of people with very strong personalities who are also outgoing and comfortable performing naturally, either one purposely develops a character or it evolves over time with performing.

For an example, think of Angier and Borden from The Prestige. Angier is a natural showman (The Great Danton), and while his technical skills aren't anywhere near Borden's, he is much more entertaining. Borden is far more technically skilled but takes quite some time to develop stage presence.

Of course, there will also be constant development with either choice. Personally, my performance philosophy is extremely character-centric and I feel that creating and developing a character is one of the single most important things a performer can do to distinguish themselves from the masses.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results