Starting a magician community at college.

Aug 1, 2008
Yeah so I live in Monterrey, Mexico, and I had this idea of starting a magician sort of "club" if you will, in which we could discuss sleights, perform tricks, practice recording (to know when and where to pan in/out zoom in/out)...

only problem was that... people of my age (im 19) aren't really into magic where i live.

So I gathered 3 guys that were interested in learning more magic (they already new some tricks like this and that)...

(one of them knew sinful)

I revealed a couple of my tricks to them and lo and behold...

they turned out to be hecklers.

I am so disappointed...

They literally talked about how they love to ruin someone's trick...

*sigh*

This sucks because i really wanted to share stuff with people (we dont even have magic stores here in mexico, most of my stuff I get it from Ebay >_>)

So now im back to being a loner in magic.

I guess i had to spit that out.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Hey man - honestly, that really sucks and I'm sorry to hear it..

I guess what I'll say is this - don't stop looking, just cause the few guys you knew turned out to be hecklers. I certainly didn't think there were many flourishers/magicians my age in Sydney, and now we've found around two dozen in a matter of 2 months!

If you really want to share stuff, perhaps you can make some online friends and jam that way? That's a possibility I guess. Honestly though, don't stop looking man, I know there are definitely other Mexicans here...

Jan 14, 2008
philippines
thats the main reason im always hesitant to teach magic even to friends i have the same problem i dont know anyone who does magic other then me... i mean someone who i can practice with or share thoughts... if ever someone wants to learn and then ask me... al i do is teach him a very simple no brainer trick but if he practiced and take the time to perfect the trick then i'll teach him more but until now no one passed my expectations...

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
As far as jamming/collab goes, I have two stipulations - either, have a jam with them (which is how I've made quite a few new good friends in magic), or, for teaching, the "Royal Road Test" - give them royal road's first chapter. If they're still practicing in a month's time, they're probably committed.

Aug 1, 2008
the saddest part is that you need at least 8 students to be a part of your group to be an official "club" within college...

now I'm back to 1.

including me.

D

Deleted member 2755

Don't worry. I have to go somewhere in about 10 minutes so I'm not going to type up a long post right now. I might do it later. If not later, then tomorrow. ;) However, I disagree with the entire idea of having a magic club at school. It not only gives magic a bad image, but not everyone should be hearing about magic. Its great that you want people to talk about magic with. I want some people to talk about magic with in real life as well. However, you shouldn't be getting 8+ people to do so. It kills magic. Will talk more later. (This isn't the first time something like this has popped up.)

-Doug

Aug 31, 2007
Long Island/New York
I think that getting a group together would be a bad idea. There are many reasons why you shouldn't make a club.
There are people out there that do magic just to show themselves off.
Also, some people don't put the time in to practice and just want to perform for people, even though they're not very good.

So you favorite effect to perform was just blown by your friend.

The thing is, artists think differently.
Putting a bunch of magicians in a room and thinking of an effect is like telling pro painters to paint a masterpiece.
Everyone has a different opinion on things.

I mean, you can try to put together a club, but I can guarantee you that you'll be facing some problems.

Having a small group of 2 or 3 people, I could see going well, but any more would turn into bad news. And if you make a club, I think it's open to anybody, so your guaranteed to have many youtube learners there, and you can't do anything about it.

Anyway, I can't tell you, "Don't make a club!", so I'm not going to.
Do what you want, Just think it through first.
cheers!

Aug 1, 2008
the club wouldn't be open for anyone who can double lift though.

besides, notice how i said now i lost people for the club, I'm not creating a heckler club or a showoff club.

this is why I'm disappointed. I'm not going to try to convert those 2 hecklers into magicians.

Relax, the reason I wanted to make it official was to get a little more audience. Imagine making a yearly event in which 8 magicians of the college perform their sickest effects throughout the week or something...

I don't know, I'm thinking from the top of my head, but this way not only will magic reach a whole lot more people, but each magician would be able to receive feedback and improve...

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Because it's not getting 8 magicians together, it's getting 1 magician and 7 laymen together. I think Doug's point is that the commercial image of magic that a club provides, spreading the word, etc., spreads the wrong ideas, invites the wrong people and creates an entirely different atmosphere for magic, one which isn't particularly beneficial. 8 Magicians on the other hand is totally different.

I just formed a group actually recently.

The thing we changed is that, we are open to anyone who wants to join... But we hold two kinds of meetings. One where we teach EXTREMELY simple stuff and talk about performance, magic, and just anything regarding it in general. And from that emeting we get a feel for whos who and then we invite select people to our real meetings where we only have a few guys and girls who actually are learning/teaching/helping/and just talking magic.
... Its basically an underground circle now that i think about it lol.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Here in Sydney we hold a fortnightly jam session for anyone interested. This involves of course many different disciplines and skill levels, but essentially the purpose is to hang out, have fun, and hopefully show people stuff and learn more about improving performances. Hence it's never really about learning new tricks or so on, though creations are sometimes shared, but learning to improve. We go out, learn what we want as per usual, and then we show it to learn what we can improve on through experience, and of course, jam and collaborate in general.

Here in Sydney we hold a fortnightly jam session for anyone interested. This involves of course many different disciplines and skill levels, but essentially the purpose is to hang out, have fun, and hopefully show people stuff and learn more about improving performances. Hence it's never really about learning new tricks or so on, though creations are sometimes shared, but learning to improve. We go out, learn what we want as per usual, and then we show it to learn what we can improve on through experience, and of course, jam and collaborate in general.

Sounds awesome, yea thats basically what ours is also.

Nov 4, 2008
club

Yeah so I live in Monterrey, Mexico, and I had this idea of starting a magician sort of "club" if you will, in which we could discuss sleights, perform tricks, practice recording (to know when and where to pan in/out zoom in/out)...

only problem was that... people of my age (im 19) aren't really into magic where i live.

So I gathered 3 guys that were interested in learning more magic (they already new some tricks like this and that)...

(one of them knew sinful)

I revealed a couple of my tricks to them and lo and behold...

they turned out to be hecklers.

I am so disappointed...

They literally talked about how they love to ruin someone's trick...

*sigh*

This sucks because i really wanted to share stuff with people (we dont even have magic stores here in mexico, most of my stuff I get it from Ebay >_>)

So now im back to being a loner in magic.

I guess i had to spit that out.

Through all this craziness with the Named Removed by Moderator. I actually like where his head is at. He offers a club membership to those really interested in sharing, but while keeping it exclusive! To insure that we are really not just mooches it cost 60 bucks. I emailed him and he said that if you can prove that you are already into magic that he'll nock of another $20 witch makes it a $40 deal. I don't want to post the link to his site her out of respect for therory 11. But here is a youtube video with the link.

URL removed by moderator

Last edited by a moderator:
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results