Starting Mentalism

Dec 20, 2009
Mumbai, India
Hey Axel,

From what I've heard, Annemann's Practical Mental Magic or Fulve's Self Working Mental Magic or Bob Cassidy's Fundamentals are good places to start mentalism.

- Jenai

Nov 15, 2007
Raleigh, NC
From what I've heard, Annemann's Practical Mental Magic or Fulve's Self Working Mental Magic or Bob Cassidy's Fundamentals are good places to start mentalism.

That's what I've heard, and can attest to Cassidy's Fundamentals as being a great resource for starting.

You'll eventually want 13 steps for a resource, but a lot of people will tell you to wait until you've learned some mentalism before tackling Corinda's text.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
That's what I've heard, and can attest to Cassidy's Fundamentals as being a great resource for starting.

You'll eventually want 13 steps for a resource, but a lot of people will tell you to wait until you've learned some mentalism before tackling Corinda's text.

I can attest to Fulves and Annemann being great books. I think Fulves probably is the better book to start off with.

I want to say that this wont be an easy journey.
Mentalism needs your full attention and if not performed right you might not get the "reactions" you want.
Mentalism is a performance art that needs a lot of attention on the presentation side. If you are a: "Look, ill put the card here and voila it rises on the top. Now i take it...", type of performer you are going to be doing a lot of work.

Now, for the suggestion part.
Annemann's "Practical mental magic" is one of the starting points. Also looking into Corinda's 13 Steps might be a better plan. It's cheap and shows you the basics technique wise. Eg. what props are most common and sleights(i wouldnt call them that, but lets let leave it at that).

Furthermore reading Banachek and Max Maven, along side my total favourite Paul Brook "Alchemical Tools" will give some good routines along side(and Alchemical the most) the tools to perform the art the right way(psychological princibles in mind). Also there are tons of people who have crafted some awesome performance books but i don't want to share them here :), trade secrets.

Anyway, feel free to PM me with questions.

M.

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
5 hollow sticks - four of them are filled with Fundamentals, and one with a Kevin Parker eBook pack?

Alternatively, five horses - but only one of them is dead - and the other four are pinadas?

Sep 4, 2007
Kansas City
I started with Richard Osterlind's Mind Mysteries... some effects are pretty cheesy, or a little outdated, but it was a great place to start off at.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results