Starting out.. very excited

Okay soooo... Im very excited about getting into coins now. Ive just started reading a public domain copy of Modern Coin magic ( i plan on buying the book) and its very interesting. But, as a result of my starting off... I have a few questions.

1- i have normal size hands about 7 inches by 11 or whatever, so would you say half dollars are good to use?

2- what are soft coins?

3- any practice tips? How to practice? How long to spend on certain routines? What material to focus on?

4- just kind of a bonus, for those who perform, what types of reactions do coins get?

THANKS!

Dan

Sep 14, 2009
Big hands are great for butter churning, if ya know what I mean.

Soft coins are worn down coins... They are as slick at the lube that you use at night time. They can be an advantage to 3 flyish routines and a disadvantage to classic palming.

If you want the Modern COin book.. Buy the second edition.... It is the expanded one.

Ti[s// Practice all day and just carry coins on you and wear punk rock wristbands and rubber bands, and you will become the ultimate Daniel Garcia protege'!!!!!!!!! (Much love DG is you read this)

Reactions.. How often do you ask a person if they have a shiny set of Morgan silver dollars on them?

Better yet, fail to swap out an expanded shell and then end up sp ending it at a gas station.

Sep 6, 2009
Cincinnati
w00t, congrats. It's a long but rewarding journey.

1. I use half dollar coins. They're a good size for most. (one size fits all :D). They're visual, and they palm nice. Just go to a bank and pick up some, if you don't already have them.

2. soft coins are coins that are smooth, so they don't "talk" or make noise when clinked together. They're nice for routines when you're finger palming two coins, 'cause you don't want them to talk.

3. Bobo's isn't really the best start for a beginner. It's kind of outdated, and doesn't go into a lot of detail. I would recommend David Roth's "Expert Coin Magic Made Easy". It's a 3 volume set for about $45, and it teaches coin magic really well. The first DVD teaches essential palms and other moves, as well as some routines. The second DVD is slightly more advanced, and it teaches some great moves and routines. The third DVD is the expert level, and is the stuff that David Roth is famous for.

The set is fantastic. It will take you from beginner to (almost) pro, if you follow everything carefully. Dai Vernon called David Roth "the greatest coin magician in the world." It makes sense.

4. Coins get great reactions. I've performed card effects and coins effects for people, and when they see me again, I'm still asked to do my one coin routine, or coins across! Coins are really great to do magic with, and people love them. In a formal setting, I use my own half dollars. If it's a casual street performance, or for friends, I just borrow some quarters and rock it.

After you get the basics down, you should get Jay Sankey's "Revolutionary Coin Magic". It teaches lots of great routines, including "Mr. Clean Coins Across" which I perform multiple times a day. Probably my favorite routine in all of coin magic. You borrow three coins, and cleanly make them travel from hand to hand. Awesome. David Roth's book is great, too. Michael Ammar has some good coin stuff.

Make sure you practice well, and enjoy performing coins!

As soon as you get a good routine down- go out and perform it. It's rewarding, and will keep you going.

i disagree on bobo's being outdated. In fact, its the only somewhat old book that i really enjoy reading (rrtcm, ect and erdnase are a bit of a chore) but bobo's has always been a joy to read. I also would suggest getting davids stones basic coin dvd over david roths. I have both of stones coin dvds and all three of roths and i enjoy stones much more. There are also more/better routines (well not necessarily better but, watching roths dvds, you get the feeling that he's holding back. You don't get that feeling with stone) and they are much more fun/inspiring/exciting to watch than roths and the teaching is just as good and possibly better since you don't don't get so bored. Plus there are only two so you save money. Get his first one along with bobos and once you've really mastered everything on the first one you can get the second one.(the material on the second one is considerably more difficult).

I would agree on picking up jay sankeys revolutionary coin magic eventually. That is one of my all time favorite dvds that i own. There is so much material and its just fun too watch. It was actually the first book/dvd/anything that i bought on coin magic (ignorantly) and even though it was a little advanced i still got a lot from it just starting out. And i've come back to it again and again and found new stuff that i can do as i have gotten better.

I just realized i have answered 0 of your questions so far. So here goes

1. Yes half dollars will be perfect.

2. As you have already heard, soft coins is really a misnomer. They should just be called smooth coins. They are good for routines in which you are secretly sliding one coin over another for some reason (working out of finger palm for example, where producing a coin means pushing it up to the finger tips and across the other coins you're finger palming in that action.) They basically don't make that swishing metal on metal sound that kennedys ,for example, do.

3. One good thing about coins is you can just put your hands in your pockets and pop a coin into each palm and just leave them there through out the day. That is one practice tip. Try to just always keep a coin in each classic palm. While you're in school writing, typing, watching tv, walking around with your hands in your pockets. That will really help give you a natural classic palm. Another tip(and you'll here this a lot, but thats because its worth saying) when you are practicing a sleight, do the action that you are trying to imitate and see what it looks like. You can do the real action then the fake action back and forth trying to make them look closer and closer to eachother.

4. you can get really great reactions with good coin magic. The thing with coins is that (in my eyes) its either good or its bad. There is no in between. With cards you can do it sort of half a$$ed and get some semblance of an effect. With cards you have a safety net. If you are palming or holding a double and you think someone suspects you, you can just put it back on the the deck. If you are palming a coin and someone says, "hey can i see you're other hand?" you're just S.O.L.
But when you are doing really good coin magic you can get really great reactions. Think about it, money appearing out of nowhere and vanishing when they KNOW its there.

There are a lot of things (ideas, theorys, methods) you are going to pick up over years of doing it that i can't really explain here. Try to go study some of ramsay and slydini's stuff. When you start implementing their ideas is when you start to make miracles.

Sep 1, 2007
3. Bobo's isn't really the best start for a beginner. It's kind of outdated, and doesn't go into a lot of detail.

It's outdated if you have the attention span of an autistic rodent. Some of the references to cuffing may not come up as often as they used to, but the advice is still fundamental to coin magic.

Sep 6, 2009
Cincinnati
It's outdated if you have the attention span of an autistic rodent. Some of the references to cuffing may not come up as often as they used to, but the advice is still fundamental to coin magic.

I have ADD, dude. so I guess you're calling me an autistic rodent?

Bobo's is alright, but there are better learning sources for coin magic. Keep that in mind.

Mist Erection, thanks for the recommendation on David Stone's DVD. I might check it out.

Sep 1, 2007
I have ADD, dude. so I guess you're calling me an autistic rodent?

I have ADD too, so I'm allowed to joke about it. Don't take that away from me. Also, if you hear me make a stupid analogy involving ADD, and immediately assume I'm talking about you, then you're beyond any help I can give.

Jesus, when did this whole board turn into a bunch of over-sensitive human/vagina hybrids?

Bobo's is alright, but there are better learning sources for coin magic. Keep that in mind.

Ooh, somebody's got a burr under their saddle.

I list Bobo's because it's a foundation to coin magic. It's also the best value for your dollar you're ever going to get outside of Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic. I do indeed know what I'm talking about, and if you would like to passive-aggressively dispute that, you are free to shag off.

Mist Erection, thanks for the recommendation on David Stone's DVD. I might check it out.

I knew from the moment I saw his screenname that the boner jokes would as inevitable as the ****ing tides.

Sep 6, 2009
Cincinnati
Jesus, when did this whole board turn into a bunch of over-sensitive human/vagina hybrids?

:D

I list Bobo's because it's a foundation to coin magic.
I completely agree with you, Bobo's is a foundation. I was just saying some may find it easier to learn from DVDs. I reference Bobo's a lot, as it can be really helpful when putting something together.

I knew from the moment I saw his screenname that the boner jokes would as inevitable as the ****ing tides.

Hell yes.... I can't believe no one's said that yet. But I really did appreciate the advice, Missed Erection. ;)

Oct 29, 2009
Just around
I have ADD too, so I'm allowed to joke about it. Don't take that away from me. Also, if you hear me make a stupid analogy involving ADD, and immediately assume I'm talking about you, then you're beyond any help I can give.

Ooh, somebody's got a burr under their saddle.

I list Bobo's because it's a foundation to coin magic. It's also the best value for your dollar you're ever going to get outside of Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic. I do indeed know what I'm talking about, and if you would like to passive-aggressively dispute that, you are free to shag off.

Sorry, but it's people like you that make me not care for these forums more and more. You always jump on people first chance you get, and use your "funny" little quips while being rude at the same time. It bugs me to no end, just be constructive or don't post at all. Just because your "oh so wise" doesn't mean your always right. Respect others opinions too...
I have no doubt you now think I'm an over-sensitive human/vagina hybrid...

Anyway, to the OP. The one thing I love about coin magic, is that you can practice it whenever. Just take a coin out of your pocket and practice with it.

Sep 1, 2007
I completely agree with you, Bobo's is a foundation. I was just saying some may find it easier to learn from DVDs.

No, you said it was outdated, which annoyed me because with only a small handful of exceptions the material is pretty timeless.

Also, I find myself souring a bit to the visual learner argument. I have no problem with DVD as long as they're good. What I have a problem with is the growing trend people have to fall back on the whole visual learner thing as a crutch to avoid having to read anything. Which is why I encourage the reading of books to accompany if not precede DVDs whenever possible.

And besides that, you usually get a better value when it comes to content. I paid 20 bucks for my copy of Mark Wilson's and I've gotten more mileage out of it than anything else I ever bought.

Sorry, but it's people like you that make me not care for these forums more and more. You always jump on people first chance you get, and use your "funny" little quips while being rude at the same time. It bugs me to no end, just be constructive or don't post at all. Just because your "oh so wise" doesn't mean your always right. Respect others opinions too...

Okay, let me break this down as best I can.

First off, I'm harsh because it's really the only way I can get the god damn rabble to listen anymore. When I was nice, it didn't matter if my advice was sound or not because it just got buried under an avalanche of, "Buy more crap!!" usually with said crap being something sold here at Theory 11. When I finally said, "Screw it," and started saying what I really thought, things started actually happening. I figured it was better to be obnoxious than redundant and superfluous.

Second, there is constructive advice woven into my vitriol. Just because I don't fart rainbows doesn't mean I'm all about belligerent bull****ting.

Third, **** respecting other opinions. I'll respect others' opinions when they do something to qualify for it. Opinions can be total bull**** and I have no problem saying so. Respect is earned through action, not by the virtue of being able to put one word in front of the other.

No, just sheltered. You have yet to figure out how necessary unbridled criticism really is.

Oct 29, 2009
Just around
Third, **** respecting other opinions. I'll respect others' opinions when they do something to qualify for it. Opinions can be total bull**** and I have no problem saying so. Respect is earned through action, not by the virtue of being able to put one word in front of the other.

No, just sheltered. You have yet to figure out how necessary unbridled criticism really is.
Respecting others opinions does not mean you have to agree with it, just don't bash the person to crap because you don't agree with it. I don't agree with other's opinions sometimes, but I keep civil, and don't freek out on them, boasting that I am far superior to them, and that I am a wise sage.
I am in no way sheltered, and I disagree, I think you have a lot to learn. You are no better than the rest of the pride filled people in this world who think they know everything, and everybody else is just "rabble". I have had too much of those people in my life, and I will have many more in the future, so you are just on of those guys.
Now I'll wait for your response watching you correct spelling errors and telling me how I'm wrong with "funny" jabs.
PS: At least you are very knowledgeable on the subject of art and magic, and have some very good posts.

Sep 1, 2007
Respecting others opinions does not mean you have to agree with it, just don't bash the person to crap because you don't agree with it. I don't agree with other's opinions sometimes, but I keep civil, and don't freek out on them, boasting that I am far superior to them, and that I am a wise sage.

Here's your medal.

And if you think I'm all about taking the piss, I guess you haven't read all of my posts. As to me acting superior, pfft! Part of the reason I so seldom come here anymore is because more often than not I'm not the dumbest ******* in the room.

Fact remains though. You want my respect? Earn it. No one is entitled to it.

I am in no way sheltered, and I disagree, I think you have a lot to learn. You are no better than the rest of the pride filled people in this world who think they know everything, and everybody else is just "rabble". I have had too much of those people in my life, and I will have many more in the future, so you are just on of those guys.

I'll write a card as soon as I care.

Now I'll wait for your response watching you correct spelling errors and telling me how I'm wrong with "funny" jabs.

Don't insult my intelligence. I never harp on typos. That's a refuge of morons with weak or no arguments. My arguments may be caustic, but I try to construct them out of something a little sturdier than straw men, store-bought platitudes, and ad hominem.

As for putting funny in quotation marks, this actually added a sprinkling of pleasant irony to my night.

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX

Anyway, to the OP. The one thing I love about coin magic, is that you can practice it whenever. Just take a coin out of your pocket and practice with it.

Steerpike has actually earned his place here and should be allowed to speak the way he does. Besides,he at least makes you laugh. Ever read those bad attempts of insults by keoke?

To the OP bobo should be the first thing you read. It goes into great detail and has more moves in there than a gym has barbells. Its all essential in coin magic.

Jul 13, 2009

Hey that is my job, no one can take that away from me.

*goes back to reading "Theater of Mind" Barrie Richardson*

Oct 29, 2009
Just around
Here's your medal.

And if you think I'm all about taking the piss, I guess you haven't read all of my posts. As to me acting superior, pfft! Part of the reason I so seldom come here anymore is because more often than not I'm not the dumbest ******* in the room.
I don't go reading all your posts, but from what you've said, it sounds like you used to be nicer. But almost every post you've made so far is rude and insulting. Just because you don't agree with something doesn't mean you have to be rude, but I'm sure you disagree.
BTW, why do you even try insulting the stereotypical webcam magicians? What does it gain you? You talk about all the people here with a negative connotation. What does it gain you?

Fact remains though. You want my respect? Earn it. No one is entitled to it.

I'll write a card as soon as I care.
A prime example of your quips.

Don't insult my intelligence. I never harp on typos. That's a refuge of morons with weak or no arguments. My arguments may be caustic, but I try to construct them out of something a little sturdier than straw men, store-bought platitudes, and ad hominem.
I'm not insulting your intelligence, you are actually quite knowledgeable when it comes to certain things.

As for putting funny in quotation marks, this actually added a sprinkling of pleasant irony to my night.
I'm not going to reply anymore after this, as this is a magic forum, not meant for bickering back and forth. All I want to say is please stop jumping on people and tearing them to shreds because of what you believe, be it right of wrong.

So pointless arguing on a forum. Don't hate me after this, I just want you to stop doing what I said above. Do you know why these forums are a wreck sometimes? Do you know why people leave? Because of people like you, who offer more tearing down, then constructive criticism. I'm not trying to be rude or mean, but I hate it when I see people being bashed for a pathetic reason. I'm not gonna hate you after this, so please don't hate me.

Cheers

Feb 27, 2008
Grand prairie TX
I'm not going to reply anymore after this, as this is a magic forum, not meant for bickering back and forth. All I want to say is please stop jumping on people and tearing them to shreds because of what you believe, be it right of wrong.

So pointless arguing on a forum. Don't hate me after this, I just want you to stop doing what I said above. Do you know why these forums are a wreck sometimes? Do you know why people leave? Because of people like you, who offer more tearing down, then constructive criticism. I'm not trying to be rude or mean, but I hate it when I see people being bashed for a pathetic reason. I'm not gonna hate you after this, so please don't hate me.

Cheers

Its pointless trying to get him to stop.
When he left months ago,many other people did too.
He actually kept this place from wallowing in complacency and mediocrity.

Sep 1, 2007
I don't go reading all your posts, but from what you've said, it sounds like you used to be nicer. But almost every post you've made so far is rude and insulting. Just because you don't agree with something doesn't mean you have to be rude, but I'm sure you disagree.

I think this speaks to my point. I used to be all smiles and sunshine. Nobody gave a rat's ass what I had to say. I would answer a question and would be ignored because the next guy said, "The answer to your problem is to buy this!"

I came to realize that conflict and controversy were the only ways to get a message across. Like I said, better to be hated than be useless.

BTW, why do you even try insulting the stereotypical webcam magicians? What does it gain you? You talk about all the people here with a negative connotation. What does it gain you?

If nothing else, it's therapeutic.

I'm not insulting your intelligence, you are actually quite knowledgeable when it comes to certain things.

Then don't file me in next to those dip****s using straw men.

I'm not going to reply anymore after this, as this is a magic forum, not meant for bickering back and forth.

Well then if you want to respond to anything from this reply, we can take it to PM.

Do you know why these forums are a wreck sometimes? Do you know why people leave? Because of people like you, who offer more tearing down, then constructive criticism.

Do you know why people like me come by less often than we used to? Why some of them have jumped ship all together? Because without someone willing to stir the pot this place is nothing but a massive hugbox and circle jerk.

For those of us looking for something more than a hollow smile and some cheap praise with the caveat that more of the same is expected in return, well...

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results