Steve Fearson or Yigal Mesika

Jan 18, 2009
To be honest I like the look of Tarantula better because the spinning adds another dimension although others may say it looks suspicious. Master Levitation is cool but it's to simple imo.

Oct 1, 2008
earth
I would go with tarantula if you can make it so the object doesnt spin all the time.

although, if the item being "tarantulaed" is always spinning, this will prevent you from doing a lot of effects that look nice without the object spinning as shown in the fearson trailer such as putting a cheetoh in your mouth

I say it depends on what you are going to mainly going for.

i mean feeding your girlfriend without using you hands sounds pretty awesome to me...i dont think she would appreciate being fed cheetos spinning at 100 rpm. (ouch)

If tarantula does only spin then I say they are both equal

hope this helped!

Sep 1, 2007
Hi Everyone,

I am going to be up front with you and tell you that I am going to be biased about what I am going to tell you. Of all the effects that I do, this effect sets me apart from a lot of magicians that spectators see live in person. They tell me that they see magic here and there, but nothing ever like this. I'm talking about Steve Fearson's Floating Cigarette. This is a gem, something I only want to selfishly keep to myself. Wayne Houchin also makes reference to this effect but with a banknote as an opener to draw in spectators instead of walking up and choosing your spectator on his daily updates (Very valuable relevent info for workers. Check it out). I have had only hysterical, insane reactions from it. I will post a video soon of it. It almost feels like I've entered another realm of magic in the minds of spectators, that cards and coins has not yet reached. It is visual. There's a beginning, a middle and a finale which follows with roaring applause, I kid you not. I have performed this several times already at parties, weddings and even inside the VIP of a club. People will remember you forever. It feels like I'm writing a review, but I feel that passionately about this effect. So yeah, I don't have the Master Levitation DVD, but it looks like the SFFC is on there, and he is certainly credible with how well his effects that effect played out. I would love to see what kind of additions he's made to the hookup. Tarantula looks cool too, but I would go with Steve Fearson's Master Levitation since I've had only tried and true wonderful experiences with his FC.

PS: Just a little story to go along with this. It was an awesome moment:

This year I was performing closeup magic for some random spectators. After everything was done, one of the first thing she says is how she remembers this one trick last year at a particular night club, of a guy who did this flying cigarette thingy. It was so amazing to her and she knew it happened but she's almost unsure if it did happen and when she tells people about it, no one believes her that it did happen. I guess she had a lot drink or its been too long because she didn't even recognize that it was me, that I was that very person that she was giving her testimony about. No word of a lie! To me, that was just a beautiful moment that I will always cherish in my life.:D Now I just gotta make sure that the spectators remember my name! :confused:

All the best folks!

Magicman

Oct 1, 2008
earth
i heard the estimated price for Tarantula is 70$ (dont quote me on that)
Steve F.'s levitation thing is 40
after seeing the price, i would definitely go with steve fearson

Last edited by a moderator:
Aside from price, I would definitely go with Steve Fearson's hookup. It is extremely practical and the spinning ring thing could be done with Steve's Hookup in fact I know it will work because I have tried it with a small ring I have. Also I have read on other forums (themagiccafe) that the tarantula is like the Steve Fearson's hookup but is an electronic body worn device that is hidden in plain sight. You could probably perform it naked if you so choose to. But fearson's could also be performed naked.

Edit by Sinful: STOP RICKROLLING!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 17, 2008
Maryland
Okay, my initial thoughts on this were split between two different categories: Looks, and Presentation.

For me the look of Fearsons is just great. Moving the object around your O shape with your hands just makes it look fantastic. Also having someones ring return to their hand without feeling the invisible thread is great too. Like there is no gimmick involved at all (to a layman). Tarantula looks just okay to me. It almost seems mechanical and not so very smooth. They both seem to be relatively the same kind of thing though.

The presentation however, is even harder. I love the fact that Tarantula's trailer was shown with real live footage. Although it could be doctored, or edited....it still uses a live audience and gives that street magic vibe to it. Fearson shot his in a studio, and although he uses some people in it, it lacks that "you can go out and perform it anywhere" kind of feel.

I probably won't get either in the near future. However, I am not sure how many people even knew about Fearson's effect vs the Tarantula, as it doesn't seem as advertised. I wanted to get good opinions about each trick so other scould see the diversity.

Michael Kras

{dg} poet laureate / theory11
Sep 12, 2007
Canada
www.magicanada.myfastforum.org
I have no personal proof of this, but Steve has told me directly that Yigal has used Steve's hook-up for the Tarantula and did not acquire permission from Fearson to do so. I've known Steve for almost 2 years and consider him to be an honest guy so I believe this may be true.

I would personally go for the Fearson hook up as a result... not just because of a much lower price, but because if what Steve tells me is true, then it would be taking the better route and supporting the originator.

Steve's is here:
http://emagicsupply.com/112-masterlevitation-64-custom.html

Mesika's is here:
http://www.penguinmagic.com/product.php?ID=1931

Nov 10, 2008
Upstate NY
Price souldn't really be an issue, because you can find this pretty cheap with a little work... example, Yigal's Tarantula
One of Fav's to shop, plus a 90 dollar rebate if you By True Astonishment from them.

But besides that fact, I think both look brilliant, but have to lean toward Yigal, mostly because everything he does is brilliant.

Jan 18, 2009
My questions are these, why are they coming out or showing up at same time? Also how does Fearson know that Mesika use the same kind of setup? I am going to buy one I just don't know which.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results