Stigmata - Knife Routine

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
First off, this is NOT the Wayne Houchin effect. Just thought I would clear that up.

So for the longest time, I keep going back and watching this "spinning cups routine" by Brian Brushwood which I ran across when I first started doing magic:
He has said that it is the "Russian Spinning Cups Routine called Stigmata" in that video of him "stabbing his hand" (the one that seems to go viral every year a few times).

Anyways, I've looked for it quite a bit, and never seemed to find it. I have a vague idea of how its done, but want to actually look at the source first. Does anyone know?

Thanks,
Maaz

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
He probably created this one. I don't know what he's doing exactly, but I know how I'd do it if I wanted it to look like that.

Research "Smash & Stab". There's dozens of versions, all with varying levels of danger. I'm most familiar with Scott Alexander's "Nailed It!" and Matt Mello's "Instinct". Scott's is 100% safe.

Personally I like this kind of routine. I do one in my sideshow act. Most people who do it just rely on the danger factor, and that's getting to be old hat, though. People will ooo and ahh a bit, but it doesn't really stand out in their minds. You have to approach it differently to really make an impact.

Reactions: Maaz Hasan
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results