Stop The Presses! By Dustin Baker

Michael Kras

{dg} poet laureate / theory11
Sep 12, 2007
Canada
www.magicanada.myfastforum.org
STOP THE PRESSES! BY DUSTIN BAKER

Effect: A totally impromptu mentalism effect with a borrowed newspaper in which you predict a freely chosen word! No gimmicks, totally impromptu, and using a brand new concept in magic.

Review: I received Stop The Presses and had to immediately play the video. The description on the website sounded too good to be true. I mean, totally impromptu, any word in a current borrowed newpaper, and all without gimmicks! Plus, the prediction is made before the spectator even chooses the word! No switches, no nothing. Upon watching the video, I laughed out loud.

The method is quite clever and it is a wonder that this hadn't been invented previously. But apparently, Baker is the first to discover it. The video starts off with a goofy introduction which features Steve Fearson spinning around with a camera pointing at him while he described the effect. Immediately following is an in-depth teaching of the effect.

The teaching is clear and thorough. You will have no trouble understanding everything about the routine. The video quality is fine. It wouldn't pass on a DVD, but since this is a 15 minute online video there is no issue. Everything is still clear regardless. Following the method teaching, Steve talks about some Tips and alternate handlings briefly, which are definitely worth consideration.

The method itself is a great, Criss Angel-style mentalism bit. Everything claimed on the website is 100% true. The method utilized is very clever and definitely has a ton of other possibilities. If you don't find Stop The Presses to be your cup of tea, it is worth it to learn this concept alone. The only issue I have with it is that things might get a little messy, especially on the hands. After a fair amount of practice and control, this should not be an issue.

There is a bit more going on then the spectator knows about but the misdirection for this is unbelievably impossible to fail with. You have all the time in the world to pull off every move necessary for this routine. Stop The Presses is a practical piece for street magic and even a formal mentalism or close-up show. A clever brand new concept combined with a killer mentalism effect, Stop The Presse is definitely worth a look.

Overall I give Stop The Presses by Dustin Baker a 7/10. While it's not perfect, it has potential to be a devastating fooler in your repertoire. This is a great effect to make an impression with. Recommended!

You can purchase this brand new release at http://emagicsupply.com/112.html

Michael Kras

Sep 1, 2007
Amsterdam
the dotted piece of newspaper in the spectator's hand at the end of the effect part of the randomly chosen newspaper? can the performer prove that?

The Dark Angel

forum moderator / t11
Sep 1, 2007
Denver, Colorado
I heard about this when they were first hyping it through their newsletter.
My question is: Do you need to have a foundation in mentalism in order to do this effect?

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results