Street Magic: Another Stigmata Video

May 31, 2008
My friend and I went out on Saturday in hopes of getting a video or two for Ellusionist's Arcane Video Contest. We only got one piece of usable footage:

http://www.vimeo.com/9660262

Title of Performance: Beep

Effects performed: Stigmata, card version

Audience: Most of them were"sk8ters" they hold the record for the most amount of bleeps I had to use in one video. They were about 9-to-14-years-old. (making the oldest a year younger than me) I got really thrown off because of the guy who entered at about 0:35. He's the in the same grade as me, and goes to the same high school. He's really immature, the only way he knows how to communicate is through racist, sexist, and other vulgar remarks. That's why there were such long bleeps during the performance, (I had to bleep out entire sentences of his!)

The Performance: I felt I was doing really well up until Mr. Maturity showed up. I was loose, happy to be there, and I had the spectators on my side. The only thing I did that I didn't like before Mr. Maturity showed up was asking them if they played for money. I don't know what I was thinking, they're kids, it was just part of my script, so I got used to saying it in other performances. When Mr. Maturity showed up, I tried very hard to ignore him, so I inadvertently ignored the other spectators a little bit. I was really trying to dramatize the ending, but Mr. Maturity continually interrupted with his various profanity-filled remarks, they sort of killed the big moment. I may be making it sound worse than it actually is though. I wasn't really frustrated with Mr. Maturity so much as I was just thrown off. I would've liked to have continued a little more with the black magic patter, but I felt saying the word "black" around Mr. Maturity wasn't the best idea. The stupidest thing I did was not having the spectators show the card to the camera...

Overall, I think the performance went well, despite being distracted Mr. Maturity, I hope you guys enjoy the video.

Camera - Garrett H.

Music -

Pearl Jam
"In My Tree"
No Code
Sony BMG/Epic

As always, I am more than welcoming of constructive criticism.

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
It brings a tear to my eye to see that you debriefed yourself in old "go.out.perform" fashion :(.

:)

EDIT::// Whoopsy I just noticed that you posted in the G.O.P thread as well. It's time to bring that thread from the death I guess.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
The performance wasn't bad but wasn't super either. Always have the spectator show the camera the card or at least make sure more than one person knows the card or "hecklers" will change the card and you will look like you messed up. This happens a lot with people who are drinking or trying to throw you off as well.
Also...I wouldn't say think of the the number because technically if they had a free choice they could have selected ANY card so be careful how you word it.
Other than that...great job getting out there and performing. Keep up the good work.

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
Firstly good job for handling most of the performance quite well.

The one thing that I hate about stigmata as an effect is that everyone performs it exactly how Wanye does on the dvd. The effect is stronge enough to have a poor presentation and still get amazing results. However this is one of those effects that can be so much more than just a neat trick.

It is one of those effects that can shatter your audiences beliefs and yet is very rarely routined.

May 31, 2008
It brings a tear to my eye to see that you debriefed yourself in old "go.out.perform" fashion :(.

:)

EDIT::// Whoopsy I just noticed that you posted in the G.O.P thread as well. It's time to bring that thread from the death I guess.

Of course I upload to G.O.P, it's a tradition!

The performance wasn't bad but wasn't super either. Always have the spectator show the camera the card or at least make sure more than one person knows the card or "hecklers" will change the card and you will look like you messed up. This happens a lot with people who are drinking or trying to throw you off as well.
Also...I wouldn't say think of the the number because technically if they had a free choice they could have selected ANY card so be careful how you word it.
Other than that...great job getting out there and performing. Keep up the good work.

Thanks man, I hadn't thought of the number thing until I was performing it that very time. They didn't seem to suspect anything though.

Firstly good job for handling most of the performance quite well.

The one thing that I hate about stigmata as an effect is that everyone performs it exactly how Wanye does on the dvd. The effect is stronge enough to have a poor presentation and still get amazing results. However this is one of those effects that can be so much more than just a neat trick.

It is one of those effects that can shatter your audiences beliefs and yet is very rarely routined.

I know what you mean, I tried to switch things up with the black magic patter, but that didn't seem to go over to well. The card version of Stigmata is tough to "shatter beliefs" with, simply because, at it's heart, it's a card trick. The name version of Stigmata is one of the most powerful pieces of magic I know of, and I almost never perform it for kids and teens, especially groups.

Mar 6, 2008
A Land Down Under
I use stigmata in a contact mind reading display.

First phase I do genuine muscle reading to find there card.

Second phase I use stigmata with a few reveals as they are holding my wrist. Ending with the revelation on my wrist.

Finally I use a twisted palm reading (Luke Jermay) with hypnosis to get them to see the card they are thinking of in their own palm or wrist.

The brillant part for the last phase is I never know the card and I still get the credit for it even though they are doing all the work themselves.

May 31, 2008
I use stigmata in a contact mind reading display.

First phase I do genuine muscle reading to find there card.

Second phase I use stigmata with a few reveals as they are holding my wrist. Ending with the revelation on my wrist.

Finally I use a twisted palm reading (Luke Jermay) with hypnosis to get them to see the card they are thinking of in their own palm or wrist.

The brillant part for the last phase is I never know the card and I still get the credit for it even though they are doing all the work themselves.

Sounds like a really cool routine.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results