Street magic questions.

Aug 11, 2017
Hello everyone, ive got a question for you today..What is your attitude when approaching strangers in the street to perform them magic? I'm worried that the people may get frustrated or anxious etc. Do you just stop them out of nowhere and ask them if they want you to perform? Also, have you ever flirted with a girl in the road with the assistance of magic? If so how did you do it?

P.S. Street magic was the reason I originally started magic. David Blaine was my inspiration.

WitchDocIsIn

Elite Member
Sep 13, 2008
Also, have you ever flirted with a girl in the road with the assistance of magic? If so how did you do it?

Don't. Just ... don't.

The term "magician" is already often associated with creepers who use magic to hit on women. Don't perpetuate that. If you want to flirt, learn social skills and learn how to do it without any crutches. Then you'll understand how to use something like magic in the process.

In regards to performing for people randomly on the street -

Something you have to remember about Blaine is that he had a big, giant "hook" to get people to let him perform for them. A camera crew. You probably won't have that ( But if you do, bring them along). So you need to be able to figure out who's not busy and might like to see some magic.

Look for people who are not walking purposefully somewhere. You can tell when folks are just meandering or if they have somewhere to be.

Introduce yourself, don't just jump right into a trick. Often times all you have to do is say something like, "Hi! You folks look good tonight. My name is Walter, I'm a magician, what's your name?" (Compliment, Introduction, Question). They'll introduce themselves and probably ask you to show them something, because you introduce yourself as a performer.

Here's my biggest suggestion, that very few people take - Learn to talk to people without magic. Learn to get comfortable just introducing yourself and having a brief conversation with strangers. The more comfortable you are with that, the easier it will be for you to do this sort of "guerrilla magic".

Aug 15, 2017
Please do not flirt with a girl with magic, that objectifies both, the girl and the magic you perform.
Infact I feel one should not flirt with girls at all, ESPECIALLY the ones (aimed at anyone who thinks it makes them irresistable) who ask things like "How do you flirt with girls? "
Nah bro...wrong approach to magic. I promise that if there is any boy or man girls love, it is definitely not because they followed something like "10 fail-proof ways to make girls swoon over you" or anything like that.
As for the street magic part, Christopher T provided enough gr8 advice, so I don't think there's anything to add tbh, but getting Tom Ogden's ' Complete Idiot's guide to Street Magic' should help immensely.
Try to do some eye-catching flourishes to build up some level of confidence at first. BE Comfortable where you are performing, that will help. Also, try not to speak too much, seem too desperate and handle rejection maturely.
Because everyone gets those rejections (unless if people k ow they will appear on TV.

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Also, have you ever flirted with a girl in the road with the assistance of magic?

Don't. Just ... don't.

Completely agree. It's too dangerous. If I had a dollar for every spectator that got run over when I was performing for them them in the road.... Seriously, don't perform in the road, that is what sidewalks, lawns and parks are for. If you think about it, it should be called "Sidewalk Magic" instead of "Street Magic"... just think of how many lives would be saved.

Reactions: WitchDocIsIn
Jul 26, 2016
I generally agree with the comments others have made about not using magic to flirt with girls. On the other hand, if you are going to approach a girl on the street (or anywhere else) to do magic for her, it is worth considering what kind of magic is likely to please her? Most women (and I am generalizing here), but I think most women like flowers and chocolate. I don't do street magic, but I frequently perform in restaurants and at special events. I often carry small, artificial, but pretty looking, roses with me - the kind you can get in arts and crafts stores, and I walk up with the rose palmed in my hand and between my first and second finger. I have a piece of flash paper gripped between my thumb and first finger and a lighter in the other hand. I light the flash paper, produce the rose out of the flames and present it to the woman. It is a stunning trick, an opportunity to give a gift, and usually very well received. You can also produce a Hershey Kiss (or more than one) in this manner. If there is a couple by themselves, for example a girl with her husband or boyfriend, I often avoid doing this kind of trick because I do not want to make the male jealous or resentful, or to show him up.

With males, I often walk up and produce an old silver dollar out of the flames and then do some sleight of hand with the coin. These techniques avoid the awkwardness of approaching strangers, telling them you are a magician and asking if they want to see magic. After all, with the above-mentioned techniques you have already done magic and established your self as a magician. More often than not (but certainly not always) they will want to see more. But even if they don't, you have already performed for them, and have probably entertained them.

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
I would also like to point out that if magic becomes your only way of socially interacting with people, it defines you, instead of you defining your own style.

Also, das kinda creepy if you think about it. Random dude walks up to you on a street "Hey man, you wanna see some magic?". Like, me personally, I would just back outta there ASAP if I heard that just like that.

Aug 25, 2017
Pittsburgh, PA
As stated by others, don't use magic to flirt with females. That being said, the same social skill it will take to approach strangers on the street to perform magic, will be what you need to approach a female anyway.

Develop your social skills first. People are attracted to confidence. So...build confidence and charisma. After that, both aspects will naturally fall into place. Just don't use your magic as a method to flirt, because it definitely will come off as "creepy."

Reactions: ParkinT
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results