Street Magic : What do I say?

Nov 9, 2012
England, UK
So I really want to start doing street magic but I don't know what to perform or say when I walk up to somebody, so it would be really nice if you have experience and could help me out :D

Thanks

~ E ~

Jan 22, 2012
Well I mostly do it for experience and for my YouTube Channel, so I just go up and ask "Hey I'm a magician doing magic for YouTube, Do you wanna see some magic?" Now if you're doing this for busking, then I'm not sure. I'll get back to you on that.

JokerZingo

Elite Member
Oct 16, 2012
Sweden
freemagictutorials.com
Hi brother, I been doing abit of street magic for my youtube page, I usally walk up to people and do a "card spring" to show of abit so they know your good and I say:

Hi my name is Markus, how are you?
I'm doing abit of street magic for Youtube are you intressted to see abit?

Other tips:
-Don't come from behind.
- YOU SHOULD come from the front or side.
- Always smiles and be happy
- If someone rejects you say like: Alright Thank you for your time anyway mate
- Don't rush the tricks because your nervous breath and take everything like it's your best friend your doing magic for
- Be sure what you're going to do next because if your worried/confused your spectator will feel that aswell and the effect won't be as strong as it can be, so make sure you know what to say if something goes wrong
- Make sure you know the routine in and out because there is a lot that can throw you of the track when your doing a trick in the middle of the street and also be sure of the angels because people can stop and watch you so you have to be sure you cover most of the angels

(I don't aspect you to do all these things first time it takes a lot of practice to do tricks in the middle of the street, I still remember how hard it is to walk up to people in the begining, just breath and smile and everything will be fine all the things I wrote will come with practice)

Best of luck brother =)! hope everything goes well!

Nov 9, 2012
England, UK
thanks Markus, by the way I'm a girl and I don't want to mention my YouTube channel when I walk up to somebody. So what should I say and perform?

Josh Burch

Elite Member
Aug 11, 2011
Utah
It shouldn't make any difference if your a girl. Are you filming it? If you are then you just say hey my friend and I are filming some magic today could I do something for you? Or you could say, Hey we're filming some magic for a project, could I do some magic for you?

I find that good placed to find people are out door malls, parks or college campuses. You could go inside malls as well but there are problems with security often.

As far as what to do and say, just keep it simple. If you need a table then go to the food court. If I'm going to be doing walk around though I try to do stuff that doesn't require a table at all. I'm not sure of your skill level so I'm not sure what you'd like to as far as material goes.

As far as what to say it gets very personal. I've heard some magicians say that they just tape record themselves as the go through a trick. Then type what they say and see if they can insert a clever line or edit something out. Then you go back and do the trick with your new script. If it doesn't flow right or feel right edit till it does.

JokerZingo

Elite Member
Oct 16, 2012
Sweden
freemagictutorials.com
thanks Markus, by the way I'm a girl and I don't want to mention my YouTube channel when I walk up to somebody. So what should I say and perform?

Yah but you can just take away that part and say:
I'm doing abit of street magic are you intressted to see?

And the fact you're a girl shouldn't change anything like goatears said.
When I do street magic i usally do like ambitous card rotuine, card to mouth, two card monte.

But tricks really depends on your style and all that :)!

I wish you the best of luck! =)

Jan 11, 2013
Dubai
So what should I say and perform?

In terms of what you should perform, just perform what you are 100% comfortable with. Don't fall into the trap of thinking you have to perform the latest greatest product on the market to impress your audience. Don't forget that most people won't have seen live magic before so they will be impressed with whatever you do as long as you keep it entertaining. If its your first time keep what you do simple, remember the only people who are impressed with difficult sleights and moves are magicians, laypeople couldn't care less how you got there, and plus they should never be able to see the moves anyway so why make things harder for yourself?

In terms of what you say, write a script to go with the tricks. You don't have to strictly stick to it during performance because you dont know what tangents things could take. But if you know where your starting and where you want to take your audience to via your words it makes things easier, more fluid and takes away some nerves, because you don't have to think about it there and then on the spot.

Hope this helps a bit. Best of luck and enjoy it!!!

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results