Street Mentalism

Most often, a mentalist effect is a very personal one. Reading someones mind, predicting their future actions, telling them things about them you had no way of knowing are all very intimate. In a close-up or stage act, people attend the show and fully expect that they could be called on to assist the performer and have their thoughts read.

However, approaching strangers on the street and performing such personal material without them having any idea of what you are going to say or ask them to do, is a different story.

We have had the tireless, never ending debate as to whether or not to present the effects as actual "psychic" powers. Now, I want to hear what some of you think is the best way to perform mentalism on the street. What do you do to break the ice, or build rapport and make them open up to you?

Sep 1, 2007
Mentalism is uniquely ill-suited for guerrilla performances. I have no doubt some bright young face will eventually find a way to hack it, but I have yet to see it myself.

Sep 1, 2007
That is so not true my whole series is pretty much all based on street mentalism i mean come on look at daniel madison most of his effects are all based on close up psych illusions its all in your presentation that will make it work

Deechristopher

theory11 moderator
I think it really depends what you're doing.

Pure mentalism, based around lengthier presentations or an overall concept/persona would be very difficult to get across in a short, sharp performance on the street.

As a lot of you are aware, my focus is psychokinesis, while under the bracket of mentalism, it's a lot more effective for a short street performance as it's often simple in concept, direct and because of this it's very easy to get across effectively.

I don't perform on the street, but I'm often hired by bars/nightclubs - A similar kinda of venue. I've always found that while thought reading routines can be done, I prefer to focus on the more visual side of things.

It's not to say I don't believe that thought reading or pre-cog can be done on the street, I just feel that without some sort of lead in and the spectators perceiving your character in the right way, it won't be reaching it's full potential, where it could be perhaps in an after dinner or parlor performance. I think mental magic is probably better suited.

D.

Last edited by a moderator:

Deechristopher

theory11 moderator
It's not the material that decides the genre, it's the way it's presented.

Just because Jennifer Aniston was in Leprechaun, doesn't mean it's an episode of friends ;) How's that for a far-fetched ridiculous analogy!

I've found that watching a mentalist at work, it feels like you're watching an exciting lecturer or key speaker, but one with some serious skills in either psychic ability or psychological influence. Often we know he's using trickery, but it just doesn't feel that way.

With mental magic, it runs like a magic trick would, the performer uses some form of trickery to achieve the outcome.

There's nothing wrong with either, by any means!

D.

Sep 1, 2007
And it is psych illusions, mental magic its mentalisim

Mental magic and mentalism are not the same thing.

Is it just me, or does everyone want to be a mentalist now that Derren Brown is famous, regardless of whether or not they actually know any mentalism?

Oct 2, 2008
UK
Jinai.deviantart.com
I betcha half of the whole community would fail to recognise or distinguish my friend.

It's not the material that decides the genre, it's the way it's presented.

Just because Jennifer Aniston was in Leprechaun, doesn't mean it's an episode of friends How's that for a far-fetched ridiculous analogy!

I've found that watching a mentalist at work, it feels like you're watching an exciting lecturer or key speaker, but one with some serious skills in either psychic ability or psychological influence. Often we know he's using trickery, but it just doesn't feel that way.

With mental magic, it runs like a magic trick would, the performer uses some form of trickery to achieve the outcome.

There's nothing wrong with either, by any means!

D.

Thanks D.

All nice replies. Thank you. But in response to steerpike's comment, it was not Derren Brown who made me want to be a mentalist. It was Banachek that got made me want to make a switch from magic to mentalism, but so what if it had been Derren Brown. It was David Blaine who got me to really get into magic. Does that mean that just because it was not one of the "classic" magicians, that my or anyone elses interest is less validated or should be looked down upon? I really do not think so.

You have all made great points. I have another question though. To Suux88, where you carrying a book for a book test? If so, how do you go about your presentation to strangers? Do you go all mysterious with the claim of actual psychic powers, or do you try a more suggestive/body language approach and how does that work out for you?

Sep 1, 2007
But in response to steerpike's comment, it was not Derren Brown who made me want to be a mentalist.

That wasn't my point.

The point was that Derren Brown has an interesting, original act and has become successful. As a result there is a surge of interest in mentalism now, but the problem is that a lot of people don't want to be like Derren. They want to be Derren. As a result, a lot of bad advice and speculation gets thrown around.

As an example, the insistence seen above that "psych illusions" are mentalism. That's bull**** in no small part due to the fact that the term is completely made up and means nothing, but also because you don't get to call something mentalism just because you think it's cool anymore than I get to say that any band I like is metal.

There is a difference between mental magic and mentalism, but not many young guys these days bother to learn the difference because they just really, really want to be called mentalists.

Do you go all mysterious with the claim of actual psychic powers, or do you try a more suggestive/body language approach and how does that work out for you?

There is inevitably going to be a massive debate on this, so let me preface it with this question that maybe 1% of the people reading it will be able to answer: What is the difference between claiming supernatural powers and pseudo-scientific ones?

Deechristopher

theory11 moderator
I'd say that it's just a difference in persona. I know guys that do both, as you probably do too.

The only difference is that people will immediately latch onto the pseudo-sci explanations as they've been popularized in recent times and people often feel better about themselves when they have a minimal amount of understanding of what just went on.

Then again, if you're any good at performing as say a medium or as someone who's genuinely altered in some way, you should be able to convince people that this too is the case, if you can't, you're most probably pushing the wrong message.

D.

That wasn't my point.

The point was that Derren Brown has an interesting, original act and has become successful. As a result there is a surge of interest in mentalism now, but the problem is that a lot of people don't want to be like Derren. They want to be Derren. As a result, a lot of bad advice and speculation gets thrown around.

As an example, the insistence seen above that "psych illusions" are mentalism. That's bull**** in no small part due to the fact that the term is completely made up and means nothing, but also because you don't get to call something mentalism just because you think it's cool anymore than I get to say that any band I like is metal.

There is a difference between mental magic and mentalism, but not many young guys these days bother to learn the difference because they just really, really want to be called mentalists.

There is inevitably going to be a massive debate on this, so let me preface it with this question that maybe 1% of the people reading it will be able to answer: What is the difference between claiming supernatural powers and pseudo-scientific ones?
some of derren's work can be a bit lengthy...derren won't do that stuff down herre and get paid attention to....try that in new york....or busy places....

Sep 1, 2007
I'd say that it's just a difference in persona. I know guys that do both, as you probably do too.

The only difference is that people will immediately latch onto the pseudo-sci explanations as they've been popularized in recent times and people often feel better about themselves when they have a minimal amount of understanding of what just went on.

Then again, if you're any good at performing as say a medium or as someone who's genuinely altered in some way, you should be able to convince people that this too is the case, if you can't, you're most probably pushing the wrong message.

D.

Thank you people make a big oh deal any illusion of the mind is mentalisim.

Sep 1, 2007
Thank you people make a big oh deal any illusion of the mind is mentalisim.

I'm pretty sure Dee was referring to the "supernatural vs pseudo-scientific" question.

And I stand by my stance that knowing a generic card location trick does not make you a mentalist. There is a difference between mental magic and mentalism. You don't get to call yourself a mentalist just because you think it makes you a bad-ass.

Feb 16, 2009
South Bend, IN

Regarding your question, my simple answer would be: There is no significant difference between claiming supernatural powers and pseudo-scientific ones.

Let me elaborate with an example. Suppose someone says that ESP exists. He claims that he can read minds because it is a god given gift that no one can explain. Most people will react sceptically to this statement, but people might be convinced of supernatural powers if the person did a strong mind reading effect.

Now imagine the guy claiming that ESP is possible because people emit strange "energies" when they think and he is capable if receiving these energies through years of practice and meditation. In this case, his explanation is pseudo scientific, but nothing else is different.

Of course, people tend to be less skeptical if you can make your claim appear scientific. The pseudo scientific explanations are also less controversial. You don't have to worry about any group of skeptics/rationalists/scientists going out of their way to bust you publicly in their laudable efforts to keep people informed. This might be why Derren Brown explains away so many of his effects by using terms like psychology, misdirection, hypnosis etc.

EDIT: Maybe you could elaborate your thoughts on this issue. You could start a new thread if you think it will start a heated discussion.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results