Strike Double Lift - Angles?

Sep 1, 2007
I never thought about angles when using the strike double lift, but I recently became aware of them. I was doing the Ambitious Card when someone noticed that I was picking up and counting 2 cards. So now I'm afraid to use it with anyone on that side of me. I have to turn one direction to hide it. I don't feel safe anymore. Has anyone else had a problem with people noticing you counting? Any advice on how to hide it? Going back to thumb counting the cards is not an option. I need to be able to do it instantly for my ACR. Can it be done with people on that side of you? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

~Alex

Dec 10, 2007
Texas
all i can say is work on pushing a break -pushing two cards (as one if possible) and catching a break, or pinky count (most common for me and easiest to hide with the cover of the opposite hand) hope it helped. thanks and take care

ES

Sep 1, 2007
Yes i have had that problem also and even been caught 2 times doing a double lift because of the angles.
My advice: Hold the deck as low as possible, they can see it from a side view, but not in upside down view.

Sep 1, 2007
all i can say is work on pushing a break -pushing two cards (as one if possible) and catching a break, or pinky count (most common for me and easiest to hide with the cover of the opposite hand) hope it helped. thanks and take care

ES

A Strike DL is one that doesn't use any break. Pushover breaks also take time that I don't have.

Oct 18, 2007
When I strike, even though I don't even have to count off cards 99% of the time, I'll usually angle the deck almost vertically to the floor (like 40 degrees) and downwards. The angle also lets me get away with quadruple striking. =]

Sep 1, 2007
When executing a strike DL, you don't really count two cards. Your index fingers just approach and hit two cards. If you can do that then its really hard to get caught.

Nov 22, 2007
You can try perfecting the pinky count - it does the same thing as a thumb count but quicker and in one hand and while you're misdirecting.

Or the Push-Over double lift. I belive Brad teaches his method of it in CC2. It doesn't fit my style, but I find if I use his technique to push over two cards square, and then grab it in right-hand draw method for dealing a card, and then just pull it to the right and turn it over like a regular double, it looks good. I believe liquidsn performed what I previously described in his handling of TiVo 2.0.

EDIT:

I do believe that Brad taught the strike absolutely HORRIBLY in Ninja 2. Where may i find a good resource for learning the strike?

Sep 1, 2007
In the strike, you shouldnt be "counting" the cards. It should happen in an instant as you turn over the cards youre getting the two of them by having your finger contact them both. There shouldnt be a count or anything visible to a spec. It happens in a split second and shouldnt be visible from any angle...if youre doing it correctly.

Loz

Oct 5, 2007
Northampton, England
If someone noticed you picking up and counting 2 cards then you're most definitely doing it incorrectly.

Hold the deck in mechanics and bevel it to the right with your thumb, then it's just a question of practicing to "feel" 2 cards immediately. You should be able to get to the stage where you can instantly feel whether you've hit 2 or 3 - if you hit 3 then just feign a slip and try again.

The bevel is crucial, although possible to do when the deck is squared perfectly it's very tricky and you're making extra work for yourself. Also use a newer deck to prevent clumping.

Sep 1, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
A Strike DL is one that doesn't use any break. Pushover breaks also take time that I don't have.

Is someone standing next to you with a stopwatch timing your tricks? You have all the time you want if you build it into your routine to be performed and paced in that way. It isn't a race to see how quickly you can get something done.

That aside I use the Strike DL and I don't "count" so I am not sure if you need more practice doing it or were taught how to do it improperly.

--Jim

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2007
Philadelphia, PA
I do believe that Brad taught the strike absolutely HORRIBLY in Ninja 2. Where may i find a good resource for learning the strike?

Never saw Ninja 2 so I can't really comment on that but by far and away the most common reference for the DL is Gregory Wilson's Double Take DVD. I believe the Strike DL is taught in there.

Another personal reference would be P.K. Son's DVD Obsession. There are a truckload of card sleights, effects, counts, color changes, and various other card magic taught on this DVD. The Strike DL, Snap DL, basic DL, and a few others on there that are taught very well imo. Easily one of the top 3 most valued DVD's that I own.

--Jim

Nov 2, 2007
Norway
I find this double lift the easiest. I just feel for 2 cards everytime. No need to pinky count and keep a break.

The double lift is so good that I actually have to check sometimes if it's really a double cause they are so nicely squared together. Obviously not when I do a trick for people, but when I practice.

Dec 28, 2007
In the strike, you shouldnt be "counting" the cards. It should happen in an instant as you turn over the cards youre getting the two of them by having your finger contact them both. There shouldnt be a count or anything visible to a spec. It happens in a split second and shouldnt be visible from any angle...if youre doing it correctly.

Couldnt agree more. You need to get it more slick really. Are you bevelling the deck enough?
If you are really struggling then do something to take the heat of the deck when you are doing the double.

Sep 1, 2007
Is someone standing next to you with a stopwatch timing your tricks? You have all the time you want if you build it into your routine to be performed and paced in that way. It isn't a race to see how quickly you can get something done.

When I say I don't have time I mean my ACR requires a few DLs to be done right after eachother. Taking time to get a break will throw off the rhythm of the routine.

I'm not sure how much you can tell me without exposing, but do you mean you pick them both up without there ever being a space between the two? I learned it from the Royal Road DVDs, and he said you should count them, so that's how I do it. I'll try it your way and see if it works.

Nov 6, 2007
I myself have always "counted" the cards doing a strike dl. It only takes a fraction of a second to actually count the cards and personally I think it gives you more control. Also, if you angle the deck then theres no way anyones going to catch you unless they're 3 feet tall.

Sep 1, 2007
I myself have always "counted" the cards doing a strike dl. It only takes a fraction of a second to actually count the cards and personally I think it gives you more control. Also, if you angle the deck then theres no way anyones going to catch you unless they're 3 feet tall.

I thought about that, but I can't do it because the final phase of my Ambitious Card Routine involves doing a DL with a card outjogged that they can't see the face of. Angling the deck would ruin it.

I still never got an answer to my previous question 2 posts up.

Sep 1, 2007
Yes, for a good strike double, you finger just approaches the deck, hits two cards and turns them over. It's hard at first but you'll get it quickly. Remember to bevel the deck.

There's a DVD called Double Take by Greg Wilson, and it's a video going over tons of doubles, and there's a few good routines in. I own it and I quite like it, and I've also heard a lot of people saying how good it is. The strike double is taught there.

Sep 1, 2007
Yes, for a good strike double, you finger just approaches the deck, hits two cards and turns them over. It's hard at first but you'll get it quickly. Remember to bevel the deck.

I've been practicing it that way for a while and I'm having problems. I can do it on a deck that's broken in just right, but I can't do it consistently with a new or old deck. Does this mean I can't do it on a borrowed deck? Should the conditions of the cards affect this alot, or have I just not practiced enough?

Nov 2, 2007
Norway
Any deck new or old. You push over the deck to the side so its not perfectly squared. This way its easier to hit 2 cards

Loz

Oct 5, 2007
Northampton, England
I've been practicing it that way for a while and I'm having problems. I can do it on a deck that's broken in just right, but I can't do it consistently with a new or old deck. Does this mean I can't do it on a borrowed deck? Should the conditions of the cards affect this alot, or have I just not practiced enough?

Seriously just practice more, like anything it takes time. You will get it eventually, I promise.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results