Strip by Jose JaC'Quest Review

May 3, 2008
Okay guys this is my review of Strip by Jose LaC'Quest. This is my first formal review so I'll do my best to make it good.

What They Say: This tiny pocket pack of NAME BRAND breath strips contains an invisible change device that AUTOMATICALLY transforms, vanishes or produces small flat objects.

Price: $40 with free shipping from Penguin.

Teaching: Joe Russel teaches this effect and he teaches pretty much everything there is to teach on this effect including the gimmick itself, and many uses with it. He goes into great detail with everything needed to know.
9/10

Difficulty: I'd give this about a 2 out of 10 because it's extremely easy, but at the same time, you're still going to want to get used to it a little bit before performing it. Keep in mind that that difficulty level is for the gimmick's use alone and not the individual effects on the DVD although those are still reasonably easy.

The Gimmick: Wow! That's all I have to say. I was a bit nervous about what to expect at first but the gimmick really is amazing. The gimmick doesn't end completely clean and it requires a small setup but, as long as they don't break the packet open, they will NEVER discover the secret. Some things I like about it are that it's SUPER durable. Well, of course no more durable than an actual breath strip container but you still don't have to worry about anything breaking or wearing down. And another thing I love about this gimmick is that it will never require ANY type of refill in anyway. Also, you NEVER have to worry about this thing going off when you don't want it to. This really is just my type of gimmick. Also, if you are having trouble with the gimmick, there is an entire segement at the end that runs though all the possible troubles and how to fix them. He even shows you how to modify your gimmick, after it's been worn down, to make it look and handle like it's brand new.
10/10

The Method: There are two methods taught in this DVD. The first one is the one most commonly seen in the demo video where you see it close instantly as it changes. That is the only type of change you can do with that method. I could never get this method to work for me. I'm not sure if it's my gimmick, or that I'm doing something wrong. I'm guessing it's my fault.
I give that method a 7/10 because it looks great but I just couldn't get it to work.

The second method taught is definitely my preference for performing this effect. With this method, you can do SO many things to change it. You can shake it, flick it, and TONS more. You really are basically limited by your imagination. One thing I tried with it was springing cards over the container, and all of a sudden, there's a torn corner of a card in it. It really is a great method. One thing about this method is that, it's a lot easier to do, but you have to be a bit more careful when performing it. It really isn't a problem though. Apart from that it's flawless.
9/10

The Effect: This has become one of my new favorite effects. It's extremely visual and very practical. There are two effects it teaches on the DVD that I really like. One is where you play a game with whoever grabs the container first, gets the contained dollar. When they grab it, the dollar is gone, only to be found in your hand. This effect is really cool and it's amazing how the entire effect is done without actually touching the gimmick.

The second effect I really like on it would be where they select a card, invisbly tear it, then place in you hand, then you take the empty container, and with your desired method, reveal the torn corner of their card inside the container. They take the corner out and inspect it and then, you spread the cards and show their card is missing a corner which matches the corner in the box. This effect KILLS! I have a quick story for this effect:

So after learning this effect and practicing for a few hours, I find my mother, who is frequently annoyed by my constant requests to show her a new trick. And plus, my parents have seen so much stuff, that if I were levitating an elephant they'd leave to take a phone call. Anyway, I convince her to put down her book (thus making her even more annoyed) and show her this trick. She FREAKS out. There are very few effects that have this effect on her and this is one of them. She was REALLY impressed with this effect.

Anyway I give the effect a 9.5/10.

Overall Thoughts: This effect is a STEAL. Sure, it's expensive, but it's worth every penny. For once, everything they say in the ad about the effect is true. It really is a great effect.
9/10

Anyway I hope you liked my review,
Charlie

Sep 11, 2010
Great review. Albeit I'm late to the party, but you've pretty much answered any questions I had about this. I plan on getting back into magic after a year long hiatus and have been looking for some powerful effects. I don't know if you'll visit this thread again lol, seeing as how its nearly a year old, but just in case, how would rate the reactions you got with this device? If anything feel free to pm.

May 3, 2008
You actually were partially right about me not viewing the thread again for awhile. My reactions from this have been nothing short of amazing. It's extremely visual and they can inspect it to their heart's content. I really love it.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results