Stud Playing Cards - By George I think I've Got It!

May 31, 2008
Well, as many of you, I have been searching for the perfect deck of cards. Well, as the title suggests, I've found them. I just bough two decks of Stud Playing Cards at Walgreens three days ago. They're simply awesome. This isn't the first time I've owned a deck, but before I wasn't a magician and I didn't pay attention to the quality of cards.

I was planning on getting some Bikes, but the Studs were a $1.60 cheaper, and I noticed that they had a linen finish which Gerry Griffin told me is the same as air cushion. I bought a red and blue deck, and so far I've opened the red deck. These are the cards. Tally-Hos are awesome, but these cards are just great.

Finish:

The finish is supposedly the same as bikes (which I rate a seven) but I find these to be just a tiny bit smoother. They're not as smooth as Tally-Hos (which I rate an 8.5) but I kind of like that. Basiclly they're smooth like Tallies, but no slippery like Ellusionist decks. I find the smoothness just right.

9/10

Stock:

These are where Studs shine. We've been lead to believe by Ellusionist that thicker is better. Some people might prefer this, but I like thin cards that spring and riffle shuffle like a dream. The stock is even thinner than Bikes, which some people might consider flimsy, but I love it. You'll know why when you dribble the cards. I've never had an easier time riffle shuffling a deck of cards before.

10/10

Design:

Some people have trashed the design of Studs. However, and I'm being completely honest, these are the nicest designed cards I've ever seen. They're simple yet elegant. The design is what clinched the spot as my number one deck. Tally-Hos had the spot for the last two months. My biggest problem with Tallys was the design. I found them kind of boring.

9/10

Overall:

I couldn't believe the quality of generic playing cards. These cards are just incredible. I will be buying a brick of each color once I my stash of Tally-Hos and Split Spades is up. (1 red, 1 blue Spades opened. 1 red, 1 blue Tally-Ho Fan backs, opened, blue is almost worn out, and red has an ace of diamonds missing. 1 red, 1 blue Tally-Ho Fan backs, sealed.) I highly recommend picking these cards up. You won't be disappointed.

9.5/10

In case anyone's wondering, here is a list of my past favorite decks:

Bicycle Masters: March 2005-April 12th, 2009
Bicycle Centurions: April 12th 2009-May 15th 2009
Tally-Hos: May 16th 2009-July 11, 2009
Stud Playing Cards: July 11, 2009-PRESENT

P.S. Who decided that 12 decks is a brick?

Oct 28, 2007
Sydney Australia
There is a different between the old studs and the new ones.

The old studs handle like a dream, however the new studs are nothing special in particular.

Can you tell us what the box looks like?

Eh. I have both the new studs and old studs. i feel like old studs arent even that bad?

After some use the new studs seem to clump. not sure about the old ones i dont use em much dont wanna wear em out fast. but yeah. when the new studs clump just keep em in the box for a few days then after that its new again.

Ashrei

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2007
Could be my climate, but the cards warp like no other. If you think guardians and centurions warp like crazy, you haven't seen STuds in Wal Green yet...

I use Studs to practice perfect faro, just because these for whatever the reason handles best for that, but for other purposes, it's just about the same as any other cards, except it is a lot thinner and lighter.

I love how studs are cheaper tho. you cant beat that aspect about them.
they are nice cards tho. i have some and i bring them around as a practice deck, only for the reason that i only bought 2 decks. but i think i will start using them a little more due to the fact they are cheaper than bikes.

May 31, 2008
There is a different between the old studs and the new ones.

The old studs handle like a dream, however the new studs are nothing special in particular.

Can you tell us what the box looks like?

I'll get a picture. Judging by the picture someone else posted of old studs these are the new ones.

Nov 16, 2008
In the not to distant future
I love studs. The old studs are much better, but the new ones are also very good. It's one of my decks of choice.
EDIT: if you just bought them at walgreens, they are new studs. they should also say something like poker size, easy to shuffle playing cards.

May 31, 2008
Ok, here are some pics of the deck. They're really blurry though.

Attachments

• DSC00001 (2).jpg
    DSC00001 (2).jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 114
  • DSC00003.jpg
    DSC00003.jpg
    160.9 KB · Views: 111
  • DSC00004.jpg
    DSC00004.jpg
    168.5 KB · Views: 108
  • DSC00010.jpg
    DSC00010.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 105
Sep 10, 2008
QLD, AUS
Three days of non-stop use.

fair enough. i'm just a bit cautious.

there's just been so many:
"ZOMFG BEST CARDS IN THE WORLD, THEY FAN PERFECTLY STRAIGHT OUT OF THE BOX, I GOT THEM YESTERDAY, I'M NEVER GOING BACK."

stuff like that.

how would you compare them to arrcos? i got a brick of arrcos over studs the other day, and based on your review, i'm thinking i should have gone studs.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results