Substitutions for Rope

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
Rope magic is one of my favorite types of magic. However, if someone is going to do a casual performance, or one that is Guerilla or walk up style, a rope is kind of a weird thing to have with you. I recently read about a great rope trick, but didn't really know where to go with it in a more "modern fashion" (I mean, obviously people didn't carry ropes around with them 60 years ago, but modern in the sense of a more modern style of performing). So far, here is what I've come up with, in order from best idea to worst idea:

Lanyards
Shoe laces
Large Rubber-bands
Floss
Just use rope
Chains (the type people wear around their necks)

Any other ideas?

CWhite

Elite Member
Jul 22, 2016
A belt?
USB cord?
Garland from a Christmas Tree?
Yarn?

That's all I've got... unless you're tieing people up. Then I've got more ideas.. lol

Reactions: Maaz Hasan

DavidL11229

Elite Member
Jul 25, 2015
Seattle
Paracord- many people are familiar with the bracelets.

For something more visible (an advantage rope has) then ribbon for the present you need to wrap.

Rope is an ordinary item, I would still lean towards that. Your justification for having it needs to be nothing more than you can do something with it.

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
You must have never met Maaz. He's really really good at justifying every prop he uses.
lol thanks

Actually, if I do bring a rope, it would totally be in a patter about kidnapping people. These opportunities don't come up often enough.

And now that I have found my justification for using a rope, I no longer need to worry about this (even though I plan on using some of the things mentioned above as more "organic" versions of rope tricks).

Reactions: 010rusty

DavidL11229

Elite Member
Jul 25, 2015
Seattle
Sooooo, what trick was this or at least where did you read it? I love rope magic too. Cut and restored, prof nightmare(s), ring on rope, Sandsational. Got something to add?

Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
Sooooo, what trick was this or at least where did you read it? I love rope magic too. Cut and restored, prof nightmare(s), ring on rope, Sandsational. Got something to add?
I read it in Jinx Magazine. It was actually a Ring trick called "Pretty Bauble" where the ring starts out on the loop of rope or ribbon, and the spectator unties it and takes it off. The ring is placed into your hand by the spectator. He/she ties the loop back together and holds it, and the ring instantly jumps back onto the loop, and you're left clean.

Reactions: RealityOne

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Velvet cord. Since you are using it with a ring, it could be the type of cord used by jewelry stores to keep people from stealing the ring. Not my idea, but Greg Wilson's.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results