Suggestions for the Future?

Oct 14, 2017
Hey guys, I've been doing magic for about 10 months now and I do street magic and stuff at my school and I love it, but I'm really interested in doing and learning more. Any Suggestions on any books to improve and learn new methods/ any ideas to move forward?

Reactions: Al e Cat Dabra

DavidL11229

Elite Member
Jul 25, 2015
Seattle
Get Mark Wilson's Course in Magic. Watch Jason England's free video on this site about what books to read on card magic. Get Modern Coin Magic by Bobo. Check out previous threads on recommendations. Let us know what kind of magic you wish to learn more about.

Oct 14, 2017
Get Mark Wilson's Course in Magic. Watch Jason England's free video on this site about what books to read on card magic. Get Modern Coin Magic by Bobo. Check out previous threads on recommendations. Let us know what kind of magic you wish to learn more about.
What are your thoughts on Drawing Room Deceptions by Guy Hollingsworth?

DominusDolorum

Elite Member
Jul 15, 2013
Canada
I'd start smaller. Like Mark Wilson's Complete Course or Royal Road to Card Magic
Second that. I don't own the book but knowing Hollingworth, it'll be tough work. You'll be happier with the books that Antonio and David recommended.

I am quite fond of Harry Lorayne's "The Magic Book" and "Scarne on Card Tricks". For some really interesting tricks, you might want to look into some of the Fulves books.

Jan 2, 2016
California
Second that. I don't own the book but knowing Hollingworth, it'll be tough work. You'll be happier with the books that Antonio and David recommended.

I am quite fond of Harry Lorayne's "The Magic Book" and "Scarne on Card Tricks". For some really interesting tricks, you might want to look into some of the Fulves books.
I don't own it but I've leafed through it before. There's some heavy stuff in there. Definitely not intended for beginners.

Reactions: Al e Cat Dabra
Dec 29, 2017
Dip a little bit into every pot until you find what hits home with you. Modern Coin Magic, Practical Mental Magic, Card Trick books that are feasible for you to learn, Mark Wilson’s Complete Course. One thing is don’t take any of the books or “branches” of magic for granted as they all eventually overlap.

What do you currently perform and where would you like to take it next? Are there any certain themes? Is fire involved? Ghosts? Pure sleight of hand and patter?

RealityOne

Elite Member
Nov 1, 2009
New Jersey
Hey guys, I've been doing magic for about 10 months now and I do street magic and stuff at my school and I love it, but I'm really interested in doing and learning more. Any Suggestions on any books to improve and learn new methods/ any ideas to move forward?

Start with the fundamentals. Mark Wilson's Complete Course in Magic, Scarne on Card Tricks, Royal Road, Card College, Bobo's Modern Coin Magic, etc.

What are your thoughts on Drawing Room Deceptions by Guy Hollingsworth?

Great book and wonderfully written, but probably something for after you get the fundamentals down.

Reactions: Gabriel Z.

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Completely off topic and not related to books, may I suggest trying to find a local IBM ring in your area or within an hour of driving. This is what helped me grow at a tremendous pace. Just being around 20-30 other magicians once a month, having meetings, jam sessions, bringing in lectureres, etc. Also try to attend some magic conventions as well. They are a lot of fun and you'll meet great people.

Oct 14, 2017
Dip a little bit into every pot until you find what hits home with you. Modern Coin Magic, Practical Mental Magic, Card Trick books that are feasible for you to learn, Mark Wilson’s Complete Course. One thing is don’t take any of the books or “branches” of magic for granted as they all eventually overlap.

What do you currently perform and where would you like to take it next? Are there any certain themes? Is fire involved? Ghosts? Pure sleight of hand and patter?
As of right now I usually stick to card magic and sleight of hand and patter with some mentalism mixed in here and there. I've started to work with thread i.e. Venom/Tarantula 2 and have begun to slowly incorporate it naturally within routines and etc.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results