Suicide King

Mar 19, 2008
My place!
well, when i saw a signature asking why the king of hearts is stabbing himself in the head, i was determined to find out.

Turns out he is sometimes reffed to the suicide king. It all began from the French. When cards began to be widely printed, the all the cards came from the French playing cards, and all the kings in a deck refer to real kings and have names.

• King of Spades: David (a biblical king) (David Blaine is the KOS in the split spades deck..coincidence?)
  • King of Hearts: Charles (presumably after Charlemange)
  • King of Diamonds: Caesar (presumably after Jullis Caesar)
  • King of Clubs: Alexander (Alexander the great)
any way this Charlemange guy died from........(Drumroll) Sickness!:eek:

So mambey the dagger is behind his head...... or he might of invented brain surgey:D

I actually have no idea why, but the history is true:confused:

May 24, 2008
You're way off, buddy.

For the past several hundreds of years, the designs of the court cards have been slightly modified. If you look at the gradual trend of the King of Hearts throughout these very many years, the direction of his sword gradually slopes from an upright and vertical position to a more horizontal direction pointing behind his head. As this happened, the length of the sword gradually shortened until you have what is now commonly misinterpreted as a "suicidal" king.

This information can be found and is usually explicitly stated in nearly all thorough textbooks on playing card history.

Sep 2, 2007
Wanna know why the king of hearts is stabbing himself? Here's something my friend came up with. You will first need to obtain the king queen and jack of hearts from a normal deck. Place them on a table in the followeing order: Q J K. Now the story begins. Common sense says the king loves The queen, right? Well, what's the qqueen holding in her right hand? A flower. Now, what's the jack holding in his left hand? A petal from the flower. So,the queen has presented a flower to the jack, and the jack has taken a petal. The queen obviously loves the jack, and not the king. The king, seeing all this, realizes that the queen does not love him. The king falls into depression, and eventually...(drum roll please) commits suicide! That, my friends, is why the king of hearts is killing himself. (thank you, thank you very much)

Wanna know why the king of hearts is stabbing himself? Here's something my friend came up with. You will first need to obtain the king queen and jack of hearts from a normal deck. Place them on a table in the followeing order: Q J K. Now the story begins. Common sense says the king loves The queen, right? Well, what's the qqueen holding in her right hand? A flower. Now, what's the jack holding in his left hand? A petal from the flower. So,the queen has presented a flower to the jack, and the jack has taken a petal. The queen obviously loves the jack, and not the king. The king, seeing all this, realizes that the queen does not love him. The king falls into depression, and eventually...(drum roll please) commits suicide! That, my friends, is why the king of hearts is killing himself. (thank you, thank you very much)

Yes the King of (Broken) Hearts

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results