'Surfaced' or 'Search and Destroy'?

Jan 4, 2009
West Allis,WI
Hello everyone, I was wondering and debating which dvd i should get. I really want both dvds, but i wanna get your opinion. Now i know Search andDestroy doesnt come out till March 17th, but for those who have the Surfaced dvd, what is your insight an your pros an cons?
Thanks- mike

May 19, 2008
manchester
why do you want surfaced? the colour change? the control? any one sleight?

my advice, find out what you want from surfaced, maybe the colour change, and find another colour change you want to use and is just as good. (maybe buy "colour change" on demand at dan and dave)

for search and destroy I would buy the book instead, its supposed to be awesome.

Jan 4, 2009
West Allis,WI
What do i want from surface? Well I want a lil of evrything from the dvd, plus im very intruiged bout the clipshift, using it for a colour change, force, pass,etc. Its really sparking my interest.

May 19, 2008
manchester
I would recomend, looking around, if you decide to buy the paper engine their are alot of sleights and effects in their.

of course its your money but I would go for the book, and also remember that the clipshift is supposed to be extremely hard to do (5/6 months to perfect it) and their are some easier ways to control a card/colour change/force/pass.

I would wait a week or two, if you still want to buy it then go on! its your money and if you think its a good choice then you should.

but I would seriously buy the paper engine instead of search and destroy ;)

Deechristopher

theory11 moderator
The 2 DVDs will teach you very different things. The Clipshift is a great move, it's pretty hard to get used to, but when you do it looks great and can be very useful for off-beat controls, etc.

S&D however, from the teaser it looks to me that while Aaron teaches a cool routine, that's not the focus, the focus is to create a great performance using a very simple effect.

I've not seen the S&D disc yet, but I'm sure you'll get a lot from both. Depending on your skill level, you'll find either very useful.

Best,

D.

Jan 4, 2009
West Allis,WI
Thanks guys, an you know what, im going to take your opions serious, yes i know clipshift is ooberly difficult, but i love challenges, ill take in consideration for paper engine book by aaron, an s&d. Thanks Blahblah, an thanks to u also D, you know i was actually looking at your website yesterday, you have some solid effects, any recommendations for future reference?

Oct 3, 2007
germany
Personally, I get a lot of use out of the clip shift. I would recommend surfaced for that reason. HOWEVER, Aaron also have a lot to give. I don't know what specifically will be on the search and destroy that isn't in his Paper Engine book. The book is also very good. I would actually, although I too preffer learning from DvDs when possible, recommend getting surfaced and The Paper Engine book, rather than the DvD. You have a hard decision ;).

First though, think about what you feel that you most need at the moment. Do you want a very versatile utility move? Or would like like to refine your current ability and improve your performance?

Before making your final decision, flip a coin. (If it lands on heads, and you get this instinctive feeling that you wanted to land tails, go with the tails option. You'd be surprised how often people have flipped a coin thinking themselves to be indiferent to the outcome, then disliked it. If you do, you finally know which one you want most.)

Jan 4, 2009
West Allis,WI
Well they both amaze me, but i guess im more lured to surfaced, the clipshift is makin me say wtf!! Maybe ill get surfaced, and the paper engine...idk...desicions desicions.....

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
I'd get Search and Destroy and also get The Paper Engine. So much useful advice and great magic in it. Search and Destroy is a simple effect and it's extremely powerful.

The Clipshift is a nifty thing but would take you almost a year to get good at and I don't see the practicality in it.

Learning Search and Destroy should take you about a month or so, and the rest of the things in The Paper Engine are just awesome.

Oct 22, 2008
get search and destroy, im workin on the clipshift for 4 months now and not close to even doing it and i never even brought up the word perfecting, i said doing

Nov 10, 2007
They are 2 totally different DVD's. Surfaced is a utility move that will take you almost a year to perfect. Search and Destroy is an effect that does not take much practice but relies on presentation.

Mar 9, 2009
I have watched the Surfaced dvd with a buddy of mine at least six times and neither of us can quite get the move down. We have been practicing for a week and a half and we are nowhere closer to where we were before. The post before about it taking a long time to get it smooth is correct, and there are other dvds out there that will teach you much more.

If you want then go with Search and Destroy although Am/Pm would be a much better choice imo.

Best of Luck

Jan 4, 2009
West Allis,WI
Interesting viewpoints, it is still a hard choice to make, but it looks like so far i am going to get Search & Destroy along with The Paper Engine, but i think along the way while i am tryin to perfect an utilize the nuiances in the S & D dvd an The Paper Engine i think ill get Surfaced, an put it aside until im ready, i mean i have at leaast 2 or 3 other dvds not opened yet, waiting for me to unleash the awseomness....but thank u everyone, i really appreciate all of u bein so supportive an giving ur honest opions.

May 3, 2008
get search and destroy, im workin on the clipshift for 4 months now and not close to even doing it and i never even brought up the word perfecting, i said doing

So you're saying not to get Surfaced because it's difficult? :rolleyes:
I would get The Paper Engine, Surfaced, then Search and Destroy. That is how I would go about it. Paper Engine and Surfaced are worth their weight in gold and imo the new DVD is unneccessary.

Jv

Jan 11, 2008
I suggest that you pick up a book- The Paper Engine-Surfaced-Search and Destroy.

Books: There are many great books out there that can suit your style.

The Paper Engine: It's such a great book with many moves and effects taught with it.

Surfaced: A utility move you can do alot with, but takes alot of practice.

Search and Destroy: An excerpt from The Paper Engine on it's own DVD and featuring the NoWhere Pass, becuase it was one of Aarons and many favorite effect becuase of it's simplicity. And what's not to love about this effect.

So you decide on what's your choice.

Sep 17, 2008
Maryland
Although I already have paper engine, for his search and destroy trick it looks like a new handeling of the trick. I might get it for that reason and to hear Aaron talk some about the effect.

I would go for surfaced. It seems a bit more practical for your needs.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results