Switching 2 cards on the top of the deck to discard?

Jul 28, 2017
So I am working on a routine where the spectator chooses 2 cards and I let them place them in the deck after they have memorized them.

I control them to the top and then say let me just remove the gaff card double backer I left in there and might as well discard the jokers as well.

Place them on the top and currently I am showing the 2 jokers while lifting them I lift the 2 controlled cards as well.

Slide off and rotate under the 2 jokers to show them and place on the top again, then slide the 2 cards off (which are now their cards) and discard them as if they are the jokers.

So in this way I am taking their cards and discarding them instead of discarding the the jokers.
I then shuffle 1 card on top of their 2 controlled cards.
I then get a 3 card pinky break and turn over the top card to show an indifferent card and lift all 3 of them, turn over the 4th card which is also indifferent and turn the lot over hiding the fact I have turned over their 2 cards.
I then perform a turn over pass moving their cards inside the center of the deck upside down and show that the bottom of the deck is clear as well. Then reveal how there appear to be 2 cards in the center and it must be their cards. I turn the deck over and spread to reveal they aren't even their cards but rather they are the jokers. Then flip over the jokers on the table which are actually their cards.

So far everyone likes this trick but I am trying to find a more natural way of switching 2 cards for 2 other cards while on the deck.

What are some useful moves for switching a few cards on the top of the deck or counting moves you can do that might lend themselves to this situation.

I want to have the 2 jokers on the "top" of the deck and then appear to be discarding them but I am in fact discarding their cards and keeping the jokers.

Any advice would be appreciated.

I really like this little trick and I am joining a magic club where I live and they have little auditions. This is one part of my little routine that I am working. I start with a short mentalist trick, I mean really short. Like 1 minute tops, more as an ice breaker / joke. Then I move into this more complete trick and finish with a 4 aces color change kind of deck split.

Just want to try and get this trick more natural.

Hey I am still a newbie to this stuff so I don't always know what I need to be searching for name wise so any help is appreciated.

Cheers guys :)

Hey @Deadlyapples. Let me offer a few suggestions.

Chris Kenner has a move that is widely used called the 4 for 4 Switch. However, the technique can be applied to 3, or 2 card switches.

Another suggestion is that after you switch the two selections for the Jokers on top, you can secretly pass the two selections to the bottom of the deck and then reverse them.

Reactions: Maaz Hasan
Jan 26, 2017
Virginia
Hey @Deadlyapples. Let me offer a few suggestions.

Chris Kenner has a move that is widely used called the 4 for 4 Switch. However, the technique can be applied to 3, or 2 card switches.

Another suggestion is that after you switch the two selections for the Jokers on top, you can secretly pass the two selections to the bottom of the deck and then reverse them.
Just checked out the 4 for 4 switch, looks amazing! Gonna pick it up I think! How difficult is it?

Another thing you can do is this:
Start with the jokers on top. Have the 2 cards selected, and use a glimpse/peek to memorize them. Then, during your patter, you say "let's take the 2 jokers out", and spread through the deck so hat the audience only sees the backs. Out jog their 2 selected cards and bring them to the top. As you talk, palm or cop the 2 selected cards (both of them as one). Go back to saying "oh I never took the 2 jokers out", and show the two jokers by simply sliding them over with your finger (don't take them off the top of the deck). Replace the palm, and put them on the table. From here you can do so much stuff. You have 2 selected cards isolated on a table, and you know what they are.

This seems unnecessarily complicated though.

Just checked out the 4 for 4 switch, looks amazing! Gonna pick it up I think! How difficult is it?

Another thing you can do is this:
Start with the jokers on top. Have the 2 cards selected, and use a glimpse/peek to memorize them. Then, during your patter, you say "let's take the 2 jokers out", and spread through the deck so hat the audience only sees the backs. Out jog their 2 selected cards and bring them to the top. As you talk, palm or cop the 2 selected cards (both of them as one). Go back to saying "oh I never took the 2 jokers out", and show the two jokers by simply sliding them over with your finger (don't take them off the top of the deck). Replace the palm, and put them on the table. From here you can do so much stuff. You have 2 selected cards isolated on a table, and you know what they are.

This seems unnecessarily complicated though.

Not that difficult at all, unless you're a beginner.

Reactions: Maaz Hasan
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results