Symphony by Daniel Garcia

May 19, 2010
This is my first review so comments on how I did would be appreciated. Thanks!

I know it's been a while since the release of Symphony but I really wanted try and test these tricks to the best of my abilities before writing a review. So if anyone hasn't bought it yet hopefully this might help you make a decision.

Quality: Very nice. Gets the job done. Let's move on.

Teaching: Daniel's a great teacher. He is very easy to follow and he goes over the techniques several times. I was able to understand everything clearly and had the mechanics of the moves down in minutes.

The Effects:
Timeline 2.0- You have a spectator sign the back of a unknown "Prediction card". You put it in the box and have the spectator hold it. They then select a card from the pack, they check to see if the prediction card matches the one they've selected to find it has vanished. The card they previously picked is found with their signature on the back.

I love this. Fairly easy to do. It only uses a couple of moves, which can also be used to construct your own effects. I also liked it because it can be crafted to many different styles. The moves used won't take you that long to master but the confidence, misdirection, and audience control will take some time. I've performed this so many times it's worth the price of the dvd alone. This was definitely the highlight of the disc for me.

Void- A three phase routine where a straw goes through a dollar bill that is found to be left unscathed.

Not my favorite trick on the dvd but it's okay. I normally only do phase two when I perform it because it's the easiest and looks the most like real magic. Phase one looks too fishy for my tastes even if you get it to look right and phase three only works with certain straws and is difficult to practice because you need a spectator. Also the only venues you can really perform this are bars and restaurants. It's perfect for you if you perform in those kind of venues but if you don't you might have to pass on this. All in all it's a fun little piece to add to your repertoire just in case the perfect moment presents itself to perform it.

Jacob's ladder-A rubber bad is stretched between a spectators fingers and a dollar bill is draped over the top strand. The bill visually penetrates the top strand then the bottom strand leaving you completely clean.

This trick just "works". Everything about it flows and works great together. Each time the bill penetrates looks like real magic and leave your spectators speechless. I also like how the spectator holds the rubber band his/herself so they can feel the magic happen. The only two problems I have with this effect is 1) It's a little angle sensitive, so it won't work in all situations and 2) It is difficult to practice because you need someone there holding the band for you. Other than that this is a gem that everyone should at least check out. This is my second favorite trick on the dvd right behind timeline 2.0

.44- Two four of a kind are shown. You give one pair to a spectator to hold and you keep the other. In an instant they switch. You than do this again but this time they see the cards change right before their eyes.

This is a great impromptu packet effect. It's very easy and only uses two moves that are super versatile. I use these moves in a ton of other tricks I do. The way it is organized makes it look so fair and beautiful to say the least. This is my go to effect when someone hands me a deck of cards and asks me to perform something. I do this a ton and it never fails to amaze. Also the patter is endless with this effect. There are so many different ways to perform this to fit all types of styles. An instant favorite for sure.

Visa- A three phase routine where two credit cards seem to repel and attract each other due to an electrical charge.

Eh, this seemed to me like a bonus effect. like a little filler item. I only ever perform it when I meet new people and try to break the ice. But I almost always skip phase one. Phase one looks so obvious and when I take the chance to do it people just look at me like I'm stupid. Phase two and three are alright. Three I think looks the most magical. Two looks more like a flourish than magic. But I can see someone liking this when they're just out with friends. It's nothing serious but I don't think it was worth being put on the dvd as a signature effect.

And that Symphony. If you're a fan of Garcia's work and the trailer interested you, go for it. You won't be disappointed. You won't find anything revolutionary in here but it does contain real world tricks that work.
Thanks! And Hope you enjoyed my review.

Last edited by a moderator:
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results