T11 DVD Length

Oct 28, 2007
hey, i was just watching some dvds from t11 and i noticed most of them are like 30 minutes long. with an exception of control and TnR but prophet, distortion, panic, believe, and witness are 20 to 30 minutes so do you guys think that T11 DVD lengths are too short and should go a little slower and stuff or should be shorter and only go over the basics needs or are they just right?

I think that they should make it a little longer with more live preformances and a little slower on the explanation. don't get me wrong they teach everthing crystal clear but just saying that i would rather have it a little longer then 30 minutes. what do you think?

Dec 17, 2007
Canada
hey, i was just watching some dvds from t11 and i noticed most of them are like 30 minutes long. with an exception of control and TnR but prophet, distortion, panic, believe, and witness are 20 to 30 minutes so do you guys think that T11 DVD lengths are too short and should go a little slower and stuff or should be shorter and only go over the basics needs or are they just right?

I think that they should make it a little longer with more live preformances and a little slower on the explanation. don't get me wrong they teach everthing crystal clear but just saying that i would rather have it a little longer then 30 minutes. what do you think?

If I could teach you how to drive a car perfectly in 2 minuets why waste 2 hours.

James Wise Magic

Elite Member
Dec 28, 2007
yeah it really doesn't really bother me. Because if they teach you EXACTLY what you need to know. Then why make it longer?
I mean theory11 is probably the best magic website out there that teaches you everything that you need to know. They hit all the points that you need to hear. And sometimes it can be a little short, but you are equipped with everything you need to perform so there is no point in making it longer.

Sep 3, 2007
Europe
Really, Mitchell! I totally agree. When you are too lazy to even hit the rewind button, you've got serious problems. If you want him to over something again; rewind a little bit. Just think about how hard it was for magicians hundreds of years ago! They had to seek out mentors, which could take months to years, and learn everything extremely slowly.

My generation is extremely lucky. We have the internet, cell phones, and all kinds of great pieces of technology, but that doesn't mean we should get lazy! Good God, people. Complaining because your Instant Download or Magic DVD isn't long enough is just about as bad as it gets in the world of magic. That's beyond laziness, people.

Really, Mitchell! I totally agree. When you are too lazy to even hit the rewind button, you've got serious problems. If you want him to over something again; rewind a little bit. Just think about how hard it was for magicians hundreds of years ago! They had to seek out mentors, which could take months to years, and learn everything extremely slowly.

My generation is extremely lucky. We have the internet, cell phones, and all kinds of great pieces of technology, but that doesn't mean we should get lazy! Good God, people. Complaining because your Instant Download or Magic DVD isn't long enough is just about as bad as it gets in the world of magic. That's beyond laziness, people.

Exactly. Rewind, it's that simple. I remember when I got Prophet, and didn't understand one part. Since I didn't understand, I rewinded it about 30 times (exageration) until I understood it. He didn't need to go over every part 800 times, because I could just rewind it.

Oct 28, 2007

heh..........a little too excited their.

anyways this post is not about people being lazy at all you took this out of context, trust me i love rewind i have lethal :p, but i am just saying that a little more then what they give us.

as for the preformances i don't want to rewind it to watch the same preformance over and over again, maybe 2 or 3 preformances 1 or 2 at the begining to see the different reactions and at the end having him go over what he is doing during his preformance. like in believe they did a great job explaining and stuff but he did go through quite fast granted i never hit that rewind button because i am a fast learner but still.

as for teaching, maybe a little slower on the explaination but not overboard. and maybe throw in some bonus ideas they thought of and other stuff.

this is not about being lazy it is just adding stuff to the dvd to make the watch a little more enjoyable like control, control was long but it was funny as hell witch made it bearable.

Oct 28, 2007
Apparently you didn't see the "Additional Ideas" section of Believe. :rolleyes:

i did but i'm not retarded...................or am i?:p

but yeah still they didn't go over it in depth and as i said he goes through it kind of fast.

Sep 1, 2007
I feel that 20-40 minutes is enough for a single trick DVD. What I would like to see more from the DVDs are MORE LIVE PERFORMANCES. I feel that the only thing missing from the DVDs is that they include too little live performances. Panic had 2(excluding easter egg) and Digital Dissolve only had one...

Besides that, 30 minutes is suffice to learn one effect.

Oct 6, 2007
I think, as 'ninja' said, it's not about the laziness, but the learning and joy factor.

Theory11 videos are just fun to watch, making it longer adds more fun!

But a little slower on the teachings, and a little more in-depth would be better.

Chris Kenner's "Shifty" 1-on-1 is (in my opinion) taught in more detail then PANIC.

9.95 vs. 24.95?

Aug 30, 2007
Someone once told me they hate the saying "my 2 cents." So, here's my damn opinion.

We don't shoot for any particular DVD length, we only try to make sure that you get all of the information that you need in a clear and (hopefully) entertaining manner. I'm not claiming that we always accomplish this for every viewer, but we do try.

We also understand that there are a lot of you out there with some serious skills who want more advanced material and don't want the artist to spend 10 minutes on explaining how to get a break. We try to adjust for that variable on DVDs that are a little bit more advanced (like Believe, for example).

The feedback that I'd personally like to hear is whether or not we do a good job with the time we have. If the responses generally skew in one direction (i.e., most people feel like the teaching on Control was boring and should have involved more robots), we'll add more robots.

Also, Magic man9: Teaching people how to drive perfectly in 2 minutes? You have either sent a lot of people to flaming fiery deaths or you're the world's best driving teacher. If it's the former, you're mean. If it's the latter, that's amazing. Congrats. Also, the dog in your avatar looks suspiciously like Houchin's new puppy, Bauer (like Jack Bauer from 24). I am pretty sure you stole it. Please return it at your earliest convenience.

Dana

Oct 6, 2007
The feedback that I'd personally like to hear is whether or not we do a good job with the time we have. If the responses generally skew in one direction (i.e., most people feel like the teaching on Control was boring and should have involved more robots), we'll add more robots.
Dana

As I have said earlier, I feel that Panic was taught slightly rushed. Maybe summarising or repeating a few things (or even from multiple angles) would make it easier to learn.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results