TAB-Loid: Would YOU buy it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 26, 2008
NJ
I've been thinking about marketing my effect, TAB-Loid.

I realize that this is similar to a few other effects out there, but I don't believe there is actually a trick where a borrowed can tab is linked with another borrowed can tab. And I don't think my method is the same either.

Just out of curiosity, if I were to sell this, do you think you would buy it?

Thanks for your response, and I will answer any questions as long as they don't expose the method.

D

Deleted member 2755

EDIT: Decided to edit the post to delete... Thought I was a bit harsh...

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 1, 2007
Leicester, UK
www.youtube.com
Dude, don't get too far ahead of yourself.

How long ago did you come up with this? How much have you tested it? Have you given it to any professionals to see their thoughts and experiences with it?

Just because you don't think there's anything like it or you think the method is different doesn't mean it is. I know it's hard to check these things as some things are very hard to find on your own - which is why I suggest showing it to a few professionals. :)

I know you showed it to Justin Miller and he directed you to a book where the person did it with the tab attatched to the can and a borrowed finger ring. Have you checked this book out to the best you can? I know he said it was hard to get ahold of but again this is why you need to show it to a few other guys. :)

Am I making sense?

- Sean

Nov 20, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Overall, no I would not - I complete agree with Sean.

Based purely on the effect, on personal preference, probably not either, I can't see myself asking for people's tabs - in the situations where I could potentially do so, I would prefer other effects that I have/are on my want list.

A question - can you hand them out, linked, as a souvenir, without unlinking them? It would shorten the effect but ultimately remain more impossible in my opinion. I've never seen the point of doing an effect to object x, un-doing it, and handing out the perfectly normal x to a spectator, that seems kinda silly. "This is the tab that was joined once by a magician, a year ago, but then he took it apart again. So yeah, now I keep this." o_O

Jun 10, 2008
Newcastle upon Tyne
Every time I watch the vid through, I am reminded of the links in the 'Dreamweaver' linking safety pins routine. Perhaps it's due to the nature of the links.

I would say this is a less-pillaged effect, but there are definitely versions out there. Be evry careful with this idea and do a lot of research, my friend, you don't want to fall flat on your face now, do you?

CL

Sep 1, 2007
Leicester, UK
www.youtube.com
watched the vid...saw how it was done the first time watching...

nothing too impressive
sorry juniour

Oh well dang. Don't you ever perform a linking can tabs effect, Teddy. This guy saw how it was done - That's totally not impressive.

^sarcasm^

Dude, he just LINKED two can tabs together, seriously how can you say it's not impressive because you saw the method? By the same token, Panic is not impressive anymore because I know the method. By the same token, Diplopia is not impressive anymore because I know the method.

Get over yourself, you're nothing too impressive.

- Sean

Michael Kras

{dg} poet laureate / theory11
Sep 12, 2007
Canada
www.magicanada.myfastforum.org
Dude, don't get too far ahead of yourself.

How long ago did you come up with this? How much have you tested it? Have you given it to any professionals to see their thoughts and experiences with it?

Just because you don't think there's anything like it or you think the method is different doesn't mean it is. I know it's hard to check these things as some things are very hard to find on your own - which is why I suggest showing it to a few professionals. :)

I know you showed it to Justin Miller and he directed you to a book where the person did it with the tab attatched to the can and a borrowed finger ring. Have you checked this book out to the best you can? I know he said it was hard to get ahold of but again this is why you need to show it to a few other guys. :)

Am I making sense?

- Sean

So right... I've went through this type of thing a while ago. Unless you've got years and years of audience testing, devlopment, research, professional notes, gimmicks, etc, there's no way you should even consider marketing this idea, ESPECIALLY if it is only a half-decent idea. Think about it this way... you're thinking of putting it out there and having it compete with the greats... Harry Lorayne, Vernon's work, Juan Tamariz, Allan Ackerman, and so so so much more. One would truly have an incredible ego and a lot of balls to think about doing that unless their work truly did compare to the works of the magicians noted above and many more like them (a rarity these days), ESPECIALLY if it would be in the same price range. I swear, people that do that have got a lot of nerve, marketing a barely-baked grain of an idea and putting on a price tag of the same value as a copy of Erdnase.

Deechristopher

theory11 moderator
Perhaps...Maybe even via PM by the moonlight... ;) haha

But yeah, on a lighter note than most of the others' previous comments, if the method is unique, it could be really nice in a compilation book or DVD you do at a later date, a collection of several of your own routines/effects maybe with a running theme, or perhaps not, but I doubt it'd stand on it's own really.

The market is getting sick of not particularly unique effects coming out as single releases where the 2 page ebook they've just paid $20 for covers (barely) the method with no sense of context.

For the sake of it, for those interested, a tuition vid or manuscript should be written/filmed just like a story; with a beginning, middle and end - otherwise it just seems like a thrown together piece with no environment housing the idea.

- intro
- effect
- overview of method
- construction of gimmick
- method
- routining, context, patter
- credits/thanks (perhaps) + Outro

I know it takes a bit more effort, but how hard is it to give people something WORTH paying for...

...Intel End. :p

D.

Aug 10, 2008
In a rock concert
I may sound a little harsh, but is just me, forgive me.

Aren't you a little over your head?? I mean, okay, its a nice effect, but as some other of my fellows here suggest, maybe its something that was already created, or a sleight created for another purpose, seriosly I didnt like it, I usually like cards more but I know there are going to be some guys there that are going to like it, and take dee cristopher advice, try to make a compilation of your own made tricks and then think about something. Take jay sankey for an example.

Sorry, being objective here, man I dont like guys who go over their heads, you received good comments from your video, thats nice!!! It should push you to try new things and to practice and perfect it more, I think it is a bit arrogant to think t is good enough to launch it to the market.

I know I sound harsh, sorry, as always my humble(and not always right) opinion.

Cheers keep it up!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results