Table hopping tips

May 19, 2010
I'm thinking about getting a job at a restaurant table hopping. I've never done anything like this before so I'd appreciate some help. Just things like: what tricks to perform, what kind of restaurants to work at, etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.

Jun 1, 2009
Hey, I've been doing something similar to what you're doing. I've been working at my county fair doing magic for little kids. Its new people rotating in about every three minutes or so, and i just walk around to families and perform. I've learned that simple really does hit hard. For the past four days I've done just the shake change, an ace sandwich effect, and card to mouth. All are quick and visual, just what kids need. For older audiences (teens and adult, my preference) I've also added in pressure, stairway, and doc daleys last trick. The other card tricks did wonders for me also. So to sum up, I would say pick effects you know, are comfortable with, and work for you. Stay confident and you'll be fine.

As far as where to go, I really can't help you on that part, sorry. Best of luck though!

Jacob

Jun 20, 2009
near paris
I'm thinking about getting a job at a restaurant table hopping. I've never done anything like this before so I'd appreciate some help. Just things like: what tricks to perform, what kind of restaurants to work at, etc. Any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks in advance.
i suggest to you the david stone's book on the subject, it really help me on my first job

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Luis's thread and Daniel's book recommendation are dead on man. There is a ton of info for you to get through while reading all of that.

My biggest secret I can give is to only select 6-8 effects, vary them, and make sure they are all instant reset effects that are ready to go at the next table without hiding in the corner with a bang ring trying to get set. Ha Ha. You only need about 3-4 effects per table and when you are performing right next to the table you were just at...that is when you use your other set so as the people you just performed for are looking over...you aren't doing the exact set.

May 19, 2010
Thanks for all your help guys. I've given it some thought and here are the tricks I've decided to do.
Biddle trick
ACR
Sloppy shuffle triumph
Commercial(but instead of the click change use DL to change it in their hands.)
stairway
raw linkage
one coin routine
unicoin
muscle pass

All of these are instant reset and I've been doing them for a long time. Feedback would be helpful.Thanks.

P.S. What trick(s) do ypu think would be a good closer out of these?

RickEverhart

forum moderator / t11
Elite Member
Sep 14, 2008
Louisville, OH
Fish, If I were in your shoes I would open with one of your coin effects, then move to stairway, then biddle or sloppy triumph and then close with your ACR with a sweet finale sleight like card to mouth. But....that's just me. I never open a set with a card effect.
That would be one set that gets performed at every other table. Then you would need one more set of 3-4 effects.

Jan 1, 2009
Back in Time
Here is a thought. Rather than machine gun offing effects, why don't you focus on only doing 2 or 3 effects REALLY good and then using the time afterward to focus on talking to the people you were performing for.

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results