Table-Hopping

Jul 21, 2008
Ohio
Ok, so I'm thinking of getting into table-hopping. I have a few questions for anyone experienced, or that knows about table-hopping. Where do you start? Also, does the restaurant pay you, or do you just work off of tips? And lastly, any other tips? Any kind of response would be greatly appreciated!

Sep 1, 2007
You'll definately want to get your hands on a copy of Live at the Jailhouse. It's a 3 DVD set with lectures, performances, and effects by Kirk Charles, Garrett Thomas, Paul Green, Dan Tong, Dan Fleshman, Kozmo, and Justin Miller.

It explains a lot of things better than I could.

Jun 24, 2008
United States
im also looking into table hopping so no im not experienced, but yes the restaurant does pay you, the restaurant is whats hiring you, any tips are just extra. hope i helped =)

Jun 24, 2008
United States
i believe you go to the restaurant and you would ask for the manager, b/c he is who runs the place right? and ask if they already have entertainment, cuz you dont want to put someone else out of a job. But i think you should get a book or a DVD on it first, just so you know what kind of contract you want w/ the manager, and how much you should be paid... once again i hope i helped=)

Jul 21, 2008
Ohio
Alright thanks guys.. again. Yeah I have both Real Secrets of Magic DVDs. They have Great Close-up material. I think I'll pick up a copy of his book.

KatieKenner

that girl who posts videos sometimes / t11
Sep 1, 2007
Las Vegas, NV
www.myspace.com
Hey Guys,

Tom Isaacson is the best magician on this site to ask these questions.

He works almost every night at different restaurants and high end parties.

Just a little FYI..

Katie

D

Deleted member 2755

Thanks guys! So I guess my last question would be, how do I present myself? I mean who would I ask for a job?

I believe all of that is answered on the Live at the Jailhouse DVD set that Steerpike mentioned before. You are going to want to get 2 things:

The Real Secrets of Magic Volumes 1 & 2
Live at the Jailhouse

I don't own any of these things, but I have only heard wonderful things about them. Good luck with your table hopping. :)

-Doug

Jul 15, 2008
If you could ask him to reply to this thread, it would be really NEAT! :D or maybe even host his own radio talky thingy that Danny did last week.

Mar 25, 2008
Arkansas
You can find the collected "Magic Menu" in book form by Jim Sisti. Some of it is outdated, but most of it is still very applicable.

Also, gotta agree with the other guys... can't say enough about the Jailhouse DVD. Get it.

Sep 1, 2007
Missouri, USA
Keep in mind that when getting into this seriously, you need to be aware that you'll want tricks that suit YOU and not who you learned from. I agree that the Real Secrets of Magic set is full of great material and wonderful teaching, BUT... The material is really tailored to David's persona. You don't want to try to mimic him if that's not what you're naturally like. Take his advice and run with it, and maybe pick out a few techniques or ideas you like and build on them to create your own routine.

Bill Malone has a great 4-DvD set called On The Loose. It's expensive, and the material is fairly difficult, but the advice he gives is just wonderful. He tells you his own personal approach and tricks to getting a gig and keeping the job, all the while improving your performance.

If you're out to find your own tricks, I urge you to look for certain things. Make sure that it has an instant or fast reset if any, because you're going to want as little downtime as possible. Also, make sure to have a wide variety of tricks, for different ages and personalities so that you can use what you feel fits best with the situation. Mainly, find the tricks and effects that you feel represent yourself; I think that is one of the most important things of all.

I hope some of this may have helped, and good luck to you.

Peace
:)

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results