Taking Care of Odyssey

Feb 3, 2015
Hey guys,

I just received odyssey and I love it, I can't wait to go out and perform it.
But eventhough it seems to be very durable, I'm a bit afraid of damaging it (I live in Germany and the shipping costs hurt me so bad).

So I just wanted to ask everone who has the gimmick for a while and experienced some bit: how do you take care of your gimmick? more specifically how do you carry it around?
Is it safe to just put it in my pocket? should I use the little bag that came with it?

Thank you

Lyle Borders

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.theory11.com
The non-gimmick ring - This is quite robust. You can wear it around, throw it in your pocket, etc. Hard to damage.

The gimmick ring - This, while not fragile, needs more care than the non-gimmick ring. I would not carry it around in my pocket, as that can damage the finish. It came inside of a small plastic bag, I'd keep it there to protect the finish when not on your finger.

// L

The non-gimmick ring - This is quite robust. You can wear it around, throw it in your pocket, etc. Hard to damage.

The gimmick ring - This, while not fragile, needs more care than the non-gimmick ring. I would not carry it around in my pocket, as that can damage the finish. It came inside of a small plastic bag, I'd keep it there to protect the finish when not on your finger.

// L
is it possible to add the glossy finish again? I mean I've worked with High Gloss clear spray paint before and I'm just wondering if you coat the gimmick ring in that if it'll at least gloss it up a bit.

Lyle Borders

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.theory11.com
is it possible to add the glossy finish again? I mean I've worked with High Gloss clear spray paint before and I'm just wondering if you coat the gimmick ring in that if it'll at least gloss it up a bit.

Not reasonably. Any sort of paint will chip and crack almost immediately. Only the original polish is going to look the way you would expect. There may be some way to shine the gimmick again that we have not seen, but your best bet is to protect the original finish in the first place.

// L

Not reasonably. Any sort of paint will chip and crack almost immediately. Only the original polish is going to look the way you would expect. There may be some way to shine the gimmick again that we have not seen, but your best bet is to protect the original finish in the first place.

// L
would like a polishing agent work? kinda sorta like shoe shine polish but not for shoes xD

k So I just got some of my Friends shoe polish [edited for exposure] and after applying it, it actually does help bring back the original luster without any residue left behind,

if you would like to spend the money it's called Croc Butter, I'm not sure how it works on really worn out rings or how long it lasts, i'll be sure to update you all. for now it seems to be holding up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oct 16, 2016
Hey, I was just wondering if it was possible to engrave the odyssey ring with a cool gold pattern, just wanted to ask first if it would possibly break the ring's gimmick? Thanks

Hey, I was just wondering if it was possible to engrave the odyssey ring with a cool gold pattern, just wanted to ask first if it would possibly break the ring's gimmick? Thanks
it'd be very hard [Removed due to exposure]. you might try to do a light engrave but that's risky at best.

Lyle Borders

Elite Member
Aug 5, 2008
Seattle, WA
www.theory11.com

Realistically it is not possible to engrave the gimmick ring. It can't be modified much and still function as expected. Cool idea though!

// L

OH My GOSH! I can't believe I didn't think of this or why I haven't seen anyone else say this. Instead of us worrying about keeping our Odyssey all nice and shiny, What if we dulled the color of our ungimmicked ring instead

Oct 16, 2016
Hello,

I've recently purchased Odyssey and have been working with it for about a month.

The luster or sheen to the gimmick ring is unfortunately loosing its shine. It can gather dust in your pocket quite easily and it will reduce the sheen. It's simply "wear and tear" in my opinion.

I did some research into oils and sprays to increase the shine. I purchased a Oil (Chez Noir Shiner, $14.99) from a Ontario based company called 'Chez Noir' which specializes in adult products and clothing. I won't link the site on this thread since it sells mature products.

The shining oil works very well and the company I bought it from are excellent and very friendly. It doesn't need much spray but essentially it brings back the sheen quite quickly, then you let it dry.

Regards,

Allen

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results