Taking it too far ?

Mar 27, 2011
So today my friend and I went to the park and i showed some card trick to a group of people. I think i got carried away or something but i performed too many tricks.The reactions went from great to "whatever" and somehow i started to perform worse. I think i performed too much and took it too far. well, at least i learned something today. Have any of you experienced this?

Mar 27, 2011
i performed a simple ambitious card, a sandwich effect then i did kick back kings, time machine and a whole bunch of others, after kick back kings it just went down hill

Sep 11, 2010
I learned this lesson last year when performig at school. People kept wanting more tricks and I ran out of hard-hitting ones, so I my reactions went don't hill when I started doing tricks that I hadn't practiced enough.

For me, I always have at least one strong trick that I can do. If you have Dresscode, get into the habit of wearing the gimmick so you can perform it at any time.

Perform an opening effect. Dresscode will work since it is fast, visual, and very unique compared to most magic. Try one more trick that is really hard-hitting. It sounds like your ACR will do just fine.

I prefer to only do 2 tricks in impromptu situations, but if you have 3 solid effects, there is no reason why you can't do all three.

If it is an impromptu performance I stop after 3 effects and hand out business cards. Works every time.

Take Rick's advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Apr 2, 2011
Chicago, IL
Agreed. As crazy as it may be, some people actually AREN'T that into magic. Many a time, the enjoyment wears away after 2-4 tricks and turns into "get this guy with the cards away from me."

Aug 31, 2007
Lacey,Washington
I've seen an example of this while waiting in line for Harry Potter with my friends after performing.

A teen came over and tried to some tricks and he did about 9 tricks and my friends and co-workers were just bored to death.

I took him to the side afterward and gave him pretty much the same advice.

Do 3 trick tricks and walk away. When you get your biggest reaction, don't go any further. Doing magic is like a story and there is a climax, either end at the climax before it goes downhill and flatlines or have a great ending.

May 15, 2010
With Gerard Way
Eugene Burger told me something great when I went out to eat with him a few months ago.

Either do one trick or a set of 3 with a build and leave them wanting more and NEVER BREAK THAT.

That would be 3 "phases". Mainly what we are talking about are routines. In my eye(s) Triad would be considered one routine.

Ah, but here's a thing to remember. It seems like just one trick or routine in YOUR eyes, but spectators have no concept of a magic 'routine'. If three magical things happen in one routine, as far as they are concerned that have seen three tricks, not one as you say.

Not a big issue, just something I thought I'd point out. Sometimes it's better to think like a spectator rather than a magician.

Rev

Aug 17, 2010
i performed too many tricks... Have any of you experienced this?

Everyone has. This is why a set (or routine; I've heard both terms, and magic sucks for not clearly defining terms) is important. If the show doesn't build, it's getting worse, so you have to arrange the set so that it ends as best as it can.

Get a couple of three-trick sets together, and practice them until they're bulletproof. Don't break from the set unless you're positive you know what you're doing.

End on the last great reaction. Do no more.

Dec 20, 2009
Massachusetts
I've seen an example of this while waiting in line for Harry Potter with my friends after performing.

A teen came over and tried to some tricks and he did about 9 tricks and my friends and co-workers were just bored to death.

I took him to the side afterward and gave him pretty much the same advice.

Do 3 trick tricks and walk away. When you get your biggest reaction, don't go any further. Doing magic is like a story and there is a climax, either end at the climax before it goes downhill and flatlines or have a great ending.

Hah what are the chances of having a magician perform to another magician without the first knowing... You must be pretty lucky...

Searching...
{[{ searchResultsCount }]} Results